• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • minux

Jun 19, 2023
    HoCo
    Agree with the advice on finding one you and yours are most comfortable with.

Do any of the options have crazy ammo prices compared to the others?

I would recommend everyone stays 'qualified' on whatever they have, both from a range perspective and maintenance perspective, so I would go with whichever one 1) best to fire for you 2) cheapest to shoot on the regular.

You are talking home defense, defense of the castle, so whatever it is, you need to be darn sure you and yours can handle it. Range, range, range...

Uncle Duke

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 2, 2013
    Not Far Enough from the City
    It's a form of linear compensator. They work great.

Interesting. Thanks for the link!

I don't think I've ever been aware of being next to someone using one of these. They make sense though. One only need think of being next to someone with a muzzle break, and how they vent, and thus loud those are. This is pretty much doing the opposite.

outrider58

Eats Bacon Raw
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 29, 2014

I don't think I've ever been aware of being next to someone using one of these. They make sense though. One only need think of being next to someone with a muzzle break, and how they vent, and thus loud those are. This is pretty much doing the opposite.
    I have one on my 9mm SBR. When I shoot it with ear pro on, it almost sounds like it's suppressed. It does a great job of 'pushing' the sound waves forward.

Ammo Jon

Ultimate Member
    Mar 3, 2008
    I shoot an AR indoors all the time and sometimes without earpro. I don't have gearing damage.

I don't pick a defensive gun based on how loud it is. Worrying about the decibel level of a gun for home defense is the least of my concern.
    First sign of hearing damage is spelling mistakes.

Ammo Jon

Ultimate Member
    Mar 3, 2008

IMG_7350.jpeg

Plus they look awesome :)

ChannelCat

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    ar-15 would be my choice. the rifle calibers have better performance. 30rd mags and faster follow up shots with the semi-auto. the ar is easier to learn to operate than an ak imo. i assume the ak is 7.62. so the ar in .223 would be easier to shoot and locate ammo for. plus the huge aftermarket support for parts and accessories.

i watched this video a couple of months back where there was a studied conducted that said juries would more likely convict a person and give them longer sentences for using an ar-15. the title of the video is click baity but its has some interesting points

Very interesting video. Sadly, it makes sense in this day and age of a very slanted media. That said, I think that it would probably depend on where the trial took place. If an AR-15 home defense case were heard in rural Maryland (i.e. west of Hagerstown), there would be a higher chance of a sensible jury being seated. If the same case were heard in, say, Howard (Choose Civility) County, game over; the home owner would probably be rooming in max lockup with Bubba.

smokey

2A TEACHER
    Jan 31, 2008
    You know what I was just going to let it go. But you all who just want to find fault in my legitimate question...to me any way. Just answer some one else's questions. I have since moved from the place I asked the question about before. Once again great digging up Square you always have my back.
    So excuse me for having a hard time with this decision.
    I am proficient with all the choices except the lever gun.
    So the lever gun should be off the list
    So my other thoughts were being able conceal it around the house so it is easily available.
    Maneuverability.
    Cost.
    Range time between indoor ranges and outdoor.
    And so on.
    I thank you all for your opinions that were helpful and on topic. Bud
    If you're asking these questions, you have not trained to proficiency with what you have. Just asking them demonstrates a lack of experience with the choices. Get annoyed at my response, but I'm trying to provide helpful feedback and not just be a dick. What you need isn't another gun, it's training with what you currently have.

In terms of having it readily available, that's what handguns are for. Simply carry that all the time. Unless you're stashing a rifle in all the rooms of your house, you'd have to go get one anyway and wouldn't have it readily available unless you got lucky.

Again, also consider how you'll be stashing them around the house so as not to provide other people with a gun. There are wall mounts and quick-access furniture solutions that might be worth looking in to.

Good luck, be open to suggestions, and again... go train.

Growler215

Ultimate Member
    Dec 30, 2020
    SOMD
    This AK47 chambered in 7.62X39 is 100% Maryland Legal.

link to purchase

Beryl is not an AK47/AKM, it just looks like one.

Not being 100% parts interchangeable is why it is not covered by MD's fairly comprehensive AK ban.

The WASR10 specified by OP is an AK in 7.62x39 and is banned in MD, unless it is one of the original "single stack" versions which, again, are not 100% parts interchangeable with an AK47/AKM.

BFMIN

Ultimate Member
    Nov 5, 2010
    Eastern shore
    No need, I have the .22 tubed SMLE with an '07 sword bayonet if i need "Quiet". (19 dB firing signature, I checked)!

If the apparition of my bald headed, fat arse charging you clad only in a Budgie Smuggler led by this don't make you "flee in terror" you're too dumb to survive anyway.:eek:

Attachments

• SMLE with bayo.jpg
      SMLE with bayo.jpg
      278 KB · Views: 28

hogarth

Ultimate Member
    Jun 13, 2009
    1. Only advantages for the lever gun are "it doesn't look evil" and if you use irons you have no height-over-bore issues to worry about at close range. Too many disadvantages though in terms of capacity, reliability, slow follow-up shots, etc.

2. AR. Get a decent one and roll with it. Or just keep rocking the one you have. This is the easy button (accessory availability, training options--who doesn't offer AR specific courses?--ammo selection, customizability, etc.).

3. AK. When they were cheap and plentiful this made sense. Between navigating MD laws on AKs and their recent increase in prices, they offer nothing over the AR

4. KelTec. Just no.

As others have said, your HD gun will probably be what you have on you (handgun) or at ready hand when your door gets kicked in. I prefer the shotgun (which little me can handle just fine because I've had a lot of instruction on recoil mitigation), but you already dismissed the idea.

Go with whatever you're willing to put in the time training with (i.e. receiving instruction) and practicing with.

[Kev308]

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 23, 2020
    Maryland
    I'm using a Keltec sub2000 9mm as my primary right now, but I'll be switching to a 8.5" 300BO soon if everything checks out and is reliable.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Mikeymike88

Latest threads

Top Bottom