• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Growler215

Ultimate Member
    Dec 30, 2020
    SOMD
    AK not legal in MD unless pistol (e.g. Draco) or caliber other than 7.62x39. Not sure WASR10 is available in any other caliber.

TI-tick

Ultimate Member
    BANNED!!!
    MDS Supporter
    This is the way.
    Ive seen many Rossi’s shyt the bed.
    No experience with kel tec.
    AKs are great but I think the AR fits you better.
    GL
    Regarding Rossi:
    I have a 22 pump circa 1986 that I've replaced the hammer and trigger once as I wore them out, but has always run perfect. Always shot low and left but always worked.

Rossi levers, IDK.

I guess it's hit or miss for Rossi.

RRomig

Ultimate Member
    Industry Partner
    MDS Supporter
    Aug 30, 2021
    Burtonsville MD
    Regarding Rossi:
    I have a 22 pump circa 1986 that I've replaced the hammer and trigger once as I wore them out, but has always run perfect. Always shot low and left but always worked.

Rossi levers, IDK.

I guess it's hit or miss for Rossi.
    I was specifically referring to the lever the OP was listing. Also I’m only referring to the pistol caliber variants. As for 22 pumps I’ve never even seen one.

Troublesbrewin

Handgunner
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 17, 2013
    Ellicott City
    I understand the premise, but to this point in my 63 years, I have never answered the door with an AR, shotgun, or lever action rifle in my hand. I have with a 1911, model 92, or my glock - primarily because they were easily held without being detected. My first AR was an AR9 because by the time I bought it I already had several 9mm pistols and plenty of ammo. My levers are either 30-30 or 357, the 30-30 is or taking deer should I need to, the 357 is because I have 5 or 6 or more handguns in that caliber. I believe it’s a matter of personal preference and situation. I don’t expect most of my rounds to penetrate the walls of my house, which are drywall, browncoat, and plaster. Any round that gets through two layers of that will not have much energy or mass left to do much damage. We all have differing parameters to consider.

Uncle Duke

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 2, 2013
    Not Far Enough from the City
    Choose the right tool for the job. So, what specific job in the wide scope of “home defense?"

Of your 4 choices, I vote for the AR. Boring you say? How about some customization, changing the optics, grip, trigger…the amount of variations available can end that boredom. At least that is how I convince myself.

A wise MDS member here once told me that he “likes shotguns” for this role (home defense). I tend to agree with him.

If I were you, I would find that “pistol somewhere.” No matter your choices, I think it is a good idea to have a sidearm if you are out of ammo after using one of the 4 choices.

Perhaps more likely, to maybe be able to access one of your 4 choices.

Troublesbrewin

Handgunner
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 17, 2013
    Ellicott City
    I forgot about the time in the middle of the night during a horrendous downpour and blackout, when I responded to s knock at my front door by racking a round into my Mossberg 500 at my window while yelling “That’s a good way to get yourself killed!”

The guy was quietly saying “anyone home?”…

calicojack

American Sporting Rifle
    MDS Supporter
    May 29, 2018
    Cuba on the Chesapeake
    Well if OP asks me what I think he should use - it's the AR as previously stated. After soliciting opinions, I think he should ultimately use what he is most comfortable with.

smokey

2A TEACHER
    Jan 31, 2008
    If you've already got some guns, to include a handgun and AR, then my answer is "none". Don't buy another gun. Take the money on another gun and pay for training. You need to educate yourself and develop skills until you're at the point where you know the answer to the question in the first post without needing online strangers to solve that problem for you.

If you have adequate training, you can...
    1) use any of the options effectively for home defense
    2) decide which makes the most sense for you.

Posting another 2, 3, 20... of these threads is pointless. Go train.

Worsley

I apologize for hurting your feelings!
    Jan 5, 2022
    Westminster
    The AR15 can be used by brainless 18 year old army kids, they are stupid reliable, they are good for up close, far away, home defense and to put food on the table.

Last edited:

clandestine

AR-15 Savant
    Oct 13, 2008
    Elkton, MD
    I shoot an AR indoors all the time and sometimes without earpro. I don't have gearing damage.

I don't pick a defensive gun based on how loud it is. Worrying about the decibel level of a gun for home defense is the least of my concern.

Worsley

Jan 5, 2022
    Westminster

Art3

Eqinsu Ocha
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 30, 2015
    Harford County
    I shoot an AR indoors all the time and sometimes without earpro. I don't have gearing damage.

I don't pick a defensive gun based on how loud it is. Worrying about the decibel level of a gun for home defense is the least of my concern.
    Agreed. I don't know nothing about nothing, but I'm pretty sure that if you are pointing a gun at somebody for home defense, you have already decided that stopping them in that very moment is more important than your hearing, your criminal record and possibly even your sight (who takes time to put on eye protection?). Life is more important than any of those things, and if they were not an immediate and viable threat to life, you have no business pointing a gun at them...that's my outlook, anyway.

I guess it depends on just how much the OP values what he is protecting...is it worth using the most effective tool for getting the job done quickly, or does he want to play cowboy or commie?

Out of those choices, how is AR not the most immediately effective threat stopper? :shrug:

Art3

Eqinsu Ocha
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 30, 2015
    Harford County
    .357 16" "Trapper" lever as long as it will take .38 Spl too. Why? well afterwards the lawyers cant hang you for using "A deadly assault weapon with a high capacity magazine"!
    Why .38 too?
    Ever fired a full house .357 indoors without haring protection?
    Or maybe a Henry .22 with CCI Quiet rounds? You might even consider Red Ryder...but that could shoot somebody's eye out.

Worsley

Jan 5, 2022
    Westminster
    Agreed. I don't know nothing about nothing, but I'm pretty sure that if you are pointing a gun at somebody for home defense, you have already decided that stopping them in that very moment is more important than your hearing, your criminal record and possibly even your sight (who takes time to put on eye protection?). Life is more important than any of those things, and if they were not an immediate and viable threat to life, you have no business pointing a gun at them...that's my outlook, anyway.

I guess it depends on just how much the OP values what he is protecting...is it worth using the most effective tool for getting the job done quickly, or does he want to play cowboy or commie?

Out of those choices, how is AR not the most immediately effective threat stopper? :shrug:
    Plus if decibel is a concern, the Witt Machine Sound Mitigation Equipment does not require a tax stamp and is found to be quite effective.

Slackdaddy

My pronouns: Iva/Bigun
    Jan 1, 2019
    Plus if decibel is a concern, the Witt Machine Sound Mitigation Equipment does not require a tax stamp and is found to be quite effective.

Looks interesting,, how is this "Not" legally a suppressor ?

arbud

Jan 27, 2008
    Towson
    You know what I was just going to let it go. But you all who just want to find fault in my legitimate question...to me any way. Just answer some one else's questions. I have since moved from the place I asked the question about before. Once again great digging up Square you always have my back.
    So excuse me for having a hard time with this decision.
    I am proficient with all the choices except the lever gun.
    So my other thoughts were being able conceal it around the house so it is easily available.
    Maneuverability.
    Cost.
    Range time between indoor ranges and outdoor.
    And so on.
    I thank you all for your opinions that were helpful and on topic. Bud

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Mikeymike88

Latest threads

Top Bottom