• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Vince55

Vince55
    Aug 10, 2010
    Lusby, Md
    Right now I have two lever guns. Both are great shooting guns. First one was a Henry Big Boy in a .44 and my next one was a Winchester 1894 high grade model in a 30-30. My next one is going to be another Henry, but the metal frame in a .45LC. Have to get that one from Uberti.

Attachments

• h006_bigboy_lg.jpg
      h006_bigboy_lg.jpg
      23 KB · Views: 203
    • Model-1894-High-Grade-MID-534164-l.jpg
      Model-1894-High-Grade-MID-534164-l.jpg
      10.7 KB · Views: 201
    • 1860-henry-rifle-blue-24.jpg
      1860-henry-rifle-blue-24.jpg
      7.4 KB · Views: 205

Indiana Jones

Wolverine
    Mar 18, 2011
    CCN
    AHAA! Found the wedge assembly on my window sill. "safe place" haha. Here's a quick off topic question. I didn't wanna start a new thread. My 1860 BP is a sweet little piece. I'll get a conversion cylinder soon. However I can't stop it from getting light rust on the nipples, and surrounding area. I'm not sure how to really clean and oil it, since I don't want it to be wet and cause malfunction. Any advice from black powder guys? I do remove the nipples for cleaning.

browning guy

SCRUFFY NERF HERDER
    Dec 10, 2009
    Essex
    Again, Taylor & Co.

They have Uberti parts and atleast you'll have a reference for the thingamajigs when they fall off.

http://www.taylorsfirearmsstore.com/uberti_parts.htm

hucks right,

The lady's at Taylor are great to deal with!! they know what they are doing
    the have alot of stuff in stock !

I always try and go thru them before cimmaron or any of the other companys that sell the replica guns. Great customer service

pricedo

Apr 16, 2012
    NRA & GOA Life memberships
    The Rossis when slicked up are the best.
    For NIB quality you can't beat the Pedersoli brand.
    I have a Pedersoli 86/71 in .45-70 GVT that is next to none in looks, workmanship, slickness of action & accuracy..........a picture of my gun is shown in my avatar.
    Greased lighting would be an accurate descriptive phrase.
    Drawback........big price tag.......$1700 !

pricedo

Apr 16, 2012
    Right now I have two lever guns. Both are great shooting guns. First one was a Henry Big Boy in a .44 and my next one was a Winchester 1894 high grade model in a 30-30. My next one is going to be another Henry, but the metal frame in a .45LC. Have to get that one from Uberti.

I handled a Henry Big Boy at a local gun shop.
    The wood was superb and it was smooth cycling ..........a beautiful gun !
    But 8.5 pounds for a .45 LC is absolutely ridiculous !
    The gun needs a golf cart to carry it around. :tdown:

pricedo

Apr 16, 2012
    I agree with brad. Stay away from marlin. I have a 45-70 guide gun and a 444. the 444 is 2003, the 45-70 is last fall. 13 rounds in the 45-70 and the stock busted from the recoil and the wood seems shitty. The finish on the late rifles are nothing like they were a decade ago. The pics:

The "REP" Marlins (Remlins) are OK IF:

1) You check the new Remlin over good fresh off the gun shop rack (before making the purchase) to make sure you have a good sound receiver and a good straight barrel. I take a few of the red "snap cap" dummy rounds and a good light to the shop to cycle the action and check the barrel. You can't do much without a good and true action & barrel combination. The rest can be fixed.

2) You need to be good with tools and familiar with repairing leverguns.

3) You need to be willing to do a bit of rehabilitative tinkering and fixing up including stripping apart the gun and stoning & polishing all the action parts.

If you can't satisfy all 3 of the above criteria leave the "REP" Marlins (Remlins) alone and shop for a good used "JM" Marlin.

I replaced the triggers, followers, ejectors and springs with custom parts from Wild West Guns in Alaska and spent hours polishing and stoning the actions til they were free of machining burrs and rough spots.

I have 2 rehabilitated Remlin Guide Guns (1895G & 1895GS) in 45-70 GVT that will out shoot most competitors including REAL "JM" Marlins.

Boom Boom

Hold my beer. Watch this.
    Jul 16, 2010
    Carroll
    If you're still looking, Rossi has the M92 in blued and stainless with a 24" octagon barrel. Available in .44Mag and .44-40Win.

pricedo

Apr 16, 2012
    Thats easy, 1886 browning 45/70. The rifle is more fun than the carbine.

On the same page would be the Pedersoli 86/71 in 45-70.
    If you like the old style without the unnecessary safeties, rebounding hammers and all the other lawyer stuff the Pedersoli is the gun for you.
    My avatar is a picture of the Pedersoli 86/71 deluxe grade that I own.
    Beautiful wood, no unnecessary lawyer safety gizmos, very smooth & accurate.
    Around $1600 MRSP.
    LSI Puma puts out a M-86 model 1886 clone made by Chiappa without all the added lawyer safety crap also. They also offer a Trapper model 1886 which is a beautiful gun.
    The arrogant attitude of Winchester in adding unnecessary tang safeties and rebounding hammers despite the fact most customers don't want this stuff turned me off. Lawyers aren't telling me what to buy. The customer is always right and if companies can't grasp that they're going to lose big time at the cash register.
    Rossi has lost a lot of sales by being stubborn about adding that unsightly bolt safety switch to their model 92 design.

BeRight

Jul 19, 2012
    Rossi M92

I just purchased the Rossi M92 Lever Action CARBINE .38/357 STAINLESS 10+1 20" ROUND and ordered stainless steel magazine spring and magazine follower + gunslinger spring kit.

Should be one smooth machine!

Happy Trails to you and me:D

Boats

Broken Member
    Mar 13, 2012
    Howeird County
    I have a Sears Ted Williams .30-30 levergun (made by Winchester - pre Browning) it is a great gun and they can be had for $200ish.

Try finding a good condition, USA made Winchester - used
    The Japan made Winchester/Brownings are outstanding weapons. Japanese steel and machining really are second to none.

I would go with the Uberti/Puma etc only if absolutely necessary. Still good guns, esp at the prices they are asking for them, but I'd rather have a New Haven made Winnie. The old Winchesters seem to wear in, the Italian stuff seems to need finishing work before they are nearly as smooth.

That being said I wouldn't buy a Marlin. The older ones are great. The newer ones are headaches in a gun-shaped package.

Jimbob2.0

Ultimate Member
    Feb 20, 2008
    I just purchased the Rossi M92 Lever Action CARBINE .38/357 STAINLESS 10+1 20" ROUND and ordered stainless steel magazine spring and magazine follower + gunslinger spring kit.

Should be one smooth machine!

Happy Trails to you and me:D

As many have heard me talk about, these are good guns. I had a blued 20" that I traded a POS (I mean really POS Walther for) and it was extremely accurate, ok on smoothness but that could be fixed easily with soem adjustments. Shot 1/2 inch groups at 50 yards all day long. Only gripe as seems common with Rossi's and some other lever guns is it shot way high (about 4"). I think most people have fixed this with a new rear site. Sold that one to my father when I got a chance at a Winchester Trapper in same caliber that I couldnt walk away from. When I get a chance I am going to order another just like you did and work it for a camp gun.

pricedo

Apr 16, 2012
    If you're still looking, Rossi has the M92 in blued and stainless with a 24" octagon barrel. Available in .44Mag and .44-40Win.

That's alota steel to be lugging through the bush on a hunt (especially if there is any climbing or thick shrubbery & brush involved for those long barrels to snag in) with the added limitation of pistol caliber cartridges with garden hose trajectories.

I can see a 16" - 20" bbl Rossi M92 in .44 Mag or .454 Casull weighing in at 5 pounds. The Rossi Rio Grande is a nice practical hunting gun too and the .30-30 Win caliber is ballistically superior the pistol cartridges the 92s are chambered in.

Boom Boom

Hold my beer. Watch this.
    Jul 16, 2010
    Carroll
    Seriously? OP was looking for a Western-style lever fun gun, not something for an 1890s-style fantasy romp through brambles and underbrush to poke holes in critters.

Jimbob2.0

Ultimate Member
    Feb 20, 2008
    That's alota steel to be lugging through the bush on a hunt (especially if there is any climbing or thick shrubbery & brush involved for those long barrels to snag in) with the added limitation of pistol caliber cartridges with garden hose trajectories.

I can see a 16" - 20" bbl Rossi M92 in .44 Mag or .454 Casull weighing in at 5 pounds. The Rossi Rio Grande is a nice practical hunting gun too and the .30-30 Win caliber is ballistically superior the pistol cartridges the 92s are chambered in.

Your missing the point of pistol calibers. The pistol calibers are fun, comfortable, and exciting to shoot because the recoil is minimal and the reload time is short and reflexive, and it requires human action to chamber the next round (much more fun in my opinion than simply pulling a trigger again and again) in a single fluid sweep. 30-30 is a fine caliber but it is a rifle round and while I have done a rapid fire 5 with one, they lack the satisfaction of a lever gun.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Millebar

Latest threads

Top Bottom