• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Jimbob2.0

Ultimate Member
    Feb 20, 2008
    I agree with brad. Stay away from marlin. I have a 45-70 guide gun and a 444. the 444 is 2003, the 45-70 is last fall. 13 rounds in the 45-70 and the stock busted from the recoil and the wood seems shitty. The finish on the late rifles are nothing like they were a decade ago. The pics:

This wouldnt turn me away from a Marlin built lever gun, this can happen to any lever gun. The stocks are generally thin, few screw points, and more prone to cracking than other designs. I have seen a lot of cracked butstocks from many makes.

In general Marlin puts some of the better wood on compared to Winchester (soft) and Braztech (Not sure what piece of rainforest they are using).

Boom Boom

Hold my beer. Watch this.
    Jul 16, 2010
    Carroll
    This wouldnt turn me away from a Marlin built lever gun, this can happen to any lever gun. The stocks are generally thin, few screw points, and more prone to cracking than other designs. I have seen a lot of cracked butstocks from many makes.

In general Marlin puts some of the better wood on compared to Winchester (soft) and Braztech (Not sure what piece of rainforest they are using).

Real Marlins are generally fine. Remlin lever actions in the last few years are complete junk, and that's putting it very politely.

byf43

SCSC Life/NRA Patron Life
    Lever guns:

Marlin, pre-Remlin/Marlington.
    Look for (and get) a Marlin with a "JM" Proofmark on the left side of the barrel, near the receiver.

Calibers:
    .45-70 in either the 1895G (Guide Gun) or the 1895CB (Cowboy Gun)
    .44 Magnum in the 1894CB (Cowboy Gun)

While it doesn't have an octagonal barrel, the 1895G is extremely accurate.
    Using a handload of RL-7 and a Cast Performance 405 gr LWNGC bullet, this rifle produces a very tight group, made up of really big holes, at 100 yards!!

Marlin1895G.jpg

hodgepodge

Senior Member (Gold)
    Sep 3, 2009
    Arnold, MD
    1873 in .45LC for convenience and "close enough" or .44-40 for authenticity. Taylor's and Cimarron are good sources.

.1886 or anything in .45-70 or larger if you're going after buffalo or really have a place to shoot.

There are some nice rifles on gunbroker.

1873 Sporting Rifle - Octagon Barrel - Straight Stock 20" Barrel

$1,170.00
    Model No. 0241
    The 1873 Lever Action is one of the most popular repeating rifles available in a wide variety of options. This model with a straight stock and full octagon barrel is a very popular option. The case hardened frame and 20" or 24 1/4" barrel options complete the authentic reproduction manufactured by Uberti.

Attachments

• 1873SportingRifleFullOctagonal.jpg
      1873SportingRifleFullOctagonal.jpg
      7.7 KB · Views: 238

Bootknife

Ultimate Member
    I love the Lever Guns as well,Uberti,Winchester,Marlin,Rossi..I have too many! .22,38,357,.45 colt,410ga,.38-55,45-70,.450 Marlin,.32-20.Still looking for an Old Win. in .30-30.The Rossi was New and Rough so I used Fine Valve Grinding Compound and 1000 reps/Flush and lube now it's real nice.Winchester trpper in .45 colt is realy fun to shoot!I enjoy fabricating all manor of Leather Gear for them,Scabbards,Slings,Cartridge box's etc.

Jimbob2.0

Ultimate Member
    Feb 20, 2008
    You want to play with the big boys you find an 1895 in .405 Win, thats a real gun

Not really.............you are talking practicallt black powder loads. When Teddy was weilding one it is awesome, now it is tame. For shooting economy and funa 1895 in 30-40 has been on my list for a while, but the Whinnie collectors have the price of them all driven SOOOOOOOOOOOOOO high.

Frankly, for shooting levers pistol calibers are it. Much of the fun of a lever gun is driven by fast intuitive use of the action which the low recoil of the pistol caliber excels and replicates the original loadings almost presicely. I have a .45-70 and .30-30 lever gun but they collect dust compared to my .45, .44, and .357/.38 guns.

Huckleberry

No One of Consequence
    MDS Supporter
    Oct 19, 2007
    Severn & Lewes
    no Sir, I am just a fan of brutall honesty! and well you do it so well:lol2:

I have a browing 1886 rifle, it shots good looks good and for the orignal price I paid of $475.00 I will get a good return on my investment!
    BUT.... on the other hand i have a taylor 1892 in 357 that I shot the dog piss out off and its a fine rifle ( not as pretty as my browing 92)
    Hell I have a puma 92 in 45 colt that I had a action job done on that shoots slick as goose shit!

I just love lever guns!! Lets face it a good design is a good design as long as some ass monkey does not use cheep metal in the parts they are hard to fvck up!

Oh and I have never sang kumbaya, Ok, I may have hummed along once but I was trying to get laid at 4h summer camp!

BG, you know that I know that you know that you got one helluva deal on that Browning 86 for $475 considering Browning Grade1 is about $1500-$2000 NIB. The Winchester Grd 1 is about $1100 from CDNN and you get a tang safety now compared to the Brownie.

For shooting purposes and to save $$$ other toys, I prefer the Italian Jobs and the Rossi Pumas for my grins and giggles over the other high cist reproductions.

Rather vave the original Winchesters for the C&R and watch their ROI instead.

Now the best shooter for an everyday working lever would be a pre-Remington Marlin with the Ballard Rifling especially for 45-70.

Now the ulimate lever action for 45-70 would be either an Italian or Montanan Sharps 1875. 2nd is a Ruger No 1.

Indiana Jones

Wolverine
    Mar 18, 2011
    CCN
    Wow thanks for all this info guys. Much appreciated. I'm 99% sure I'll be doing an Italian job. You guys suggested I get an Uberti SAA clone, I did, and it's my favorite handgun. So I'll heed the advice I am also VERY interested in a 45-70 Sharps. I feel like I'd use that a nice amount. I'm torn on either getting the lever gun in 44 40, or 45 colt. I still car really pick. My SAA is in 45 colt. These decisions are toughies. As far as historically, we're there any major differences between say the 1873 and 1894 etc models?

TEN-X

Aug 16, 2011
    Prince Frederick MD
    Winchester '94

I have Rossi .357 1892 that I that I bough for Cowboy Action. It serves it's purpose and was worth the $425 I paid for it. Alot of 38's and some 357's through it. Medium accuracy. But the rifle I sold about 10 years ago to a friend to buy the Rossi was an 1894 Winchester Trapper with a 16" bbl. I'm in the process of reaquiring that carbine because I really liked it. .44 Mag is a sexy round especially if you match your rifle with a 4 5/8 Ruger Super Blackhawk. Handloads are a must unless you are independantly wealthy.
    I am preparing to use this combo on some pigs as soon as I can find the right location. Load, Speer 270 GDSP and a stiff load of H110.

browning guy

SCRUFFY NERF HERDER
    Dec 10, 2009
    Essex
    Wow thanks for all this info guys. Much appreciated. I'm 99% sure I'll be doing an Italian job. You guys suggested I get an Uberti SAA clone, I did, and it's my favorite handgun. So I'll heed the advice I am also VERY interested in a 45-70 Sharps. I feel like I'd use that a nice amount. I'm torn on either getting the lever gun in 44 40, or 45 colt. I still car really pick. My SAA is in 45 colt. These decisions are toughies. As far as historically, we're there any major differences between say the 1873 and 1894 etc models?
    1873 001.jpg

1873 002.jpg

the 1873 and 1894 are two completly diffrent beasts.

the 73 was chambred in pistol rounds and used a very simple elevator system and only the lever drops when you work it. This is generly the gun that won the west lever action. you can always tell it because of the distinctive side plate

the winchest 1894 or the 94 as its bet known was a rifle designed in the end of the black powder era ment as a true rifle round platform. these are most common found in 30/30 38-55 and 32 win. special. some late modles were chambred in pistol rounds but not many. the easy way to tell this rifle is that more then the lever comes down when worked. The 94 also has a smooth side with no plate around the loading gate. Like the 1892, 1886, 1895.

1894 001.jpg

1894 002.jpg

browning guy

SCRUFFY NERF HERDER
    Dec 10, 2009
    Essex
    winchest 1895

the smokeless powder and spitzer bullets brought about this bad boy! the magazine under the receiver gives this its shape. It also gave the ability to load pointed rounds in a lever gun.

1895 001.jpg

1895 002.jpg

browning guy

SCRUFFY NERF HERDER
    Dec 10, 2009
    Essex
    winchester 1892

the favorite winchester for everyone to make copies off!
    these great little fast handlikg little rifles were orignaly in pistol or small rifle rounds, 44-40 38wcf 32-20 25-20 being the most common.

1892 001.jpg

1892 002.jpg

rj1974

Ultimate Member
    Jan 31, 2011
    Edgemere , md.
    the 1873 and 1894 are two completly diffrent beasts.

the 73 was chambred in pistol rounds and used a very simple elevator system and only the lever drops when you work it. This is generly the gun that won the west lever action. you can always tell it because of the distinctive side plate

the winchest 1894 or the 94 as its bet known was a rifle designed in the end of the black powder era ment as a true rifle round platform. these are most common found in 30/30 38-55 and 32 win. special. some late modles were chambred in pistol rounds but not many. the easy way to tell this rifle is that more then the lever comes down when worked. The 94 also has a smooth side with no plate around the loading gate. Like the 1892, 1886, 1895.

the smokeless powder and spitzer bullets brought about this bad boy! the magazine under the receiver gives this its shape. It also gave the ability to load pointed rounds in a lever gun.

the favorite winchester for everyone to make copies off!
    these great little fast handlikg little rifles were orignaly in pistol or small rifle rounds, 44-40 38wcf 32-20 25-20 being the most common.

Wes quit showing off . Im gonna have to go get the camera out too :lol2:

In all seriousness You have an awesome collection :thumbsup:

And is that 1895 available I still need one of those lol Im good on the rest of them .:D

browning guy

SCRUFFY NERF HERDER
    Dec 10, 2009
    Essex
    Wes quit showing off . Im gonna have to go get the camera out too :lol2:

In all seriousness You have an awesome collection :thumbsup:

And is that 1895 available I still need one of those lol Im good on the rest of them .:D

well I don't feel like digging in the safe's for the 66, 53, or 71 so feel free to pick up where I left off. I got some elk steaks to go grill and home brew to try!

Oh and the 1895 is the real deal in 405 the only way I would get rid of it is for an earlier production gun its a 1920 gun! would love some thing from 1900 or older.

rj1974

Ultimate Member
    Jan 31, 2011
    Edgemere , md.
    well I don't feel like digging in the safe's for the 66, 53, or 71 so feel free to pick up where I left off. I got some elk steaks to go grill and home brew to try!

Oh and the 1895 is the real deal in 405 the only way I would get rid of it is for an earlier production gun its a 1920 gun! would love some thing from 1900 or older.

I thought I had some good ones , I have to do some catching up .

So ummm my next vacation can I come camp out in your cave I promise to clean and oil everything before I leave :D

Indiana Jones

Wolverine
    Mar 18, 2011
    CCN
    Rj1974 you are now obligated to post pics of your lever guns! Browning guy, thanks for all the info an pics. I'm leaning toward the 1873. Can't wait to get one. Time to think about caliber.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Wolfloc22

Latest threads

Top Bottom