• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • LoneRanger

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Dec 22, 2009
    I don't know if you guys remember when Security Mall was a quiet place???? I saw Star Wars at the theater there back in the 70's and it was dead. It was safe to send your 7 yr old (me) to walk around and no one to bother.

I remember when Westview was the same way.

I remember...........in retrospect it really doesn't seem like it was all that long ago.........

bkuether

Judge not this race .....
    Jan 18, 2012
    Marriottsville, MD
    I lived in Double Rock and moved out 6 years ago. I saw the schools start to deteriorate and the surrounding areas have steadily declined. When the housing boom was in full swing, people who would normally not be able to relocate, chose Overlea, Parkville and Loch Raven as areas to escape the "'hood" to.

As an urban geographer by training, we know this to be a natural progression. People "escape" outwards into bigger and better housing. Now what the theories don't tell you, is that these folks typically bring their inner city ways (and friends) with them. Low interest rates allowed this happen at an accelerated rate. That, coupled with a complete lack of accountability to themselves and others, has created the mess we are in today. Every house that is foreclosed upon, poorly kept, or otherwise abandoned takes the value of everyone's house down. I me mine, gimme gimme gimme. Welcome to the land of the entitled. The man kept them down, and they are getting theirs without earning it because its "fair". This will be the end of us.

sgt23preston

USMC LLA. NRA Life Member
    May 19, 2011
    Perry Hall
    As an urban geographer by training, we know this to be a natural progression. People "escape" outwards into bigger and better housing. Now what the theories don't tell you, is that these folks typically bring their inner city ways (and friends) with them. Low interest rates allowed this happen at an accelerated rate. That, coupled with a complete lack of accountability to themselves and others, has created the mess we are in today. Every house that is foreclosed upon, poorly kept, or otherwise abandoned takes the value of everyone's house down. I me mine, gimme gimme gimme. Welcome to the land of the entitled. The man kept them down, and they are getting theirs without earning it because its "fair". This will be the end of us.

Sgt Preston here...

Metastasizing cancer is very difficult to contain...

teratos

My hair is amazing
    MDS Supporter
    Patriot Picket
    Jan 22, 2009
    Bel Air
    Sgt Preston here...

Metastasizing cancer is very difficult to contain...

:thumbsup: Short and to the point, Sarge.

The cancer is especially difficult to contain when it is being fed by politicians who are intentionally putting the cancer in previously cancer-free areas. What happened to the American Dream where if you worked hard and were successful you could take your family to greener pastures.

boss281

Ultimate Member
    Apr 14, 2012
    Carroll County
    I've been slowly moving out to the country from AACo (crofton/bowie area) over the last 15 years, just bought a house a few miles from Westminster. Even did the crime map thing, looking for a relatively crime free area. But even Westminster has it's problems--drugs, gangs, assaults. Just can't win. I hate having to travel to Baltimore nowadays, and avoid DC unless absolutely necessary...

august1410

Marcas Registradas
    Apr 10, 2009
    New Bern, NC
    20 yrs ago it was the best shopping in the area!! it was considered a rich jewish area and many of us who lived in Carroll Co would go there bc there was no where to shop.
    Yes...owings mills use to be very nice

I remember going there right after it opened.....Saks Fifth Avenue was there....Brooks Brothers......I remember seeing all the rich ladies in their fur coats walking around there....had a decent food court, too. I want to say it had the first Ruby Tuesday's in the Baltimore area.

I don't know if you guys remember when Security Mall was a quiet place???? I saw Star Wars at the theater there back in the 70's and it was dead. It was safe to send your 7 yr old (me) to walk around and no one to bother.

I remember when Westview was the same way.

For many years, Security Mall had the better Sears. There was one on North Avenue, but I don't recall every going to it. We had a lot of family that lived in Randallstown and Woodlawn and Security was their mall of choice. I think the last time I was in there was in 1998.

august1410

Marcas Registradas
    Apr 10, 2009
    New Bern, NC
    Even then it was a dump. They are trying to clean up that area, but with the 'housing' on Liberty Rd, makes it tough.

It was....I remember going in there with my father in law.....before that, I think the last time I was in there was probably 1979. I vowed never to go there again.

Bikebreath

R.I.P.
    MDS Supporter
    Jun 30, 2009
    in the bowels of Baltimore
    I've been slowly moving out to the country from AACo (crofton/bowie area) over the last 15 years, just bought a house a few miles from Westminster. Even did the crime map thing, looking for a relatively crime free area. But even Westminster has it's problems--drugs, gangs, assaults. Just can't win. I hate having to travel to Baltimore nowadays, and avoid DC unless absolutely necessary...

You can run, but you can not hide.

Bohlieve410

Ultimate Member
    Feb 21, 2011
    You can run, but you can not hide.

I know Carroll has or had huge problem with hillbilly heroin, but gangs? Only one I heard of was the Klan in the Keymar area. Didn't think Westminster was that bad.

Sent from my C771 using Tapatalk 2

ColonelHurtz

A pile of little arms.
    Nov 13, 2008
    I grew up in West Baltimore, out Liberty Heights.
    We used to shop at Mondawmin Mall. Imagine that?
    I wouldn't go there now without a platoon of Marines providing covering fire.

My grandfather used to call it the Schvartzer Cholera.

iobidder

1 point'er
    Nov 11, 2011
    Everywhere

Got my Learners Permit and license at 16 near da Plaza...Reisterstown Rd plaza. It used to be A LOT worse, still f*cked up now.

coindad

Aug 7, 2011
    i own a business in parkville this area is know for heroin and prostitutes if have seen it get worse for a few years. the prostitution has eased a bit and alot of the junkies in the area. have vacated over the past several months.

Bohlieve410

Ultimate Member
    Feb 21, 2011

When they found out I was in highlandtown, dundalk cc jacked my tuition through the roof. Had to go to bccc liberty heights. Strengthened my resolve for ccw 1000 fold walking to/ from my car. That place is a warzone

Sent from my C771 using Tapatalk 2

Bikebreath

R.I.P.
    MDS Supporter
    Jun 30, 2009
    in the bowels of Baltimore

I stop at the Shoppers Grocery about once a month in Mondowmin. It's always a nice experience. I don't have a CCW and I don't have a platoon with me. You're scaredy cat. :D This bullsh*t about Baltimore being filled 100% with scumbags, killers and robbers is not true. Then again...maybe they all moved to Parkville...:((not).

Darkemp

Ultimate Member
    Aug 18, 2009
    Marylandistan
    I can't believe anyone is genuinely scared of any of these areas. You don't need CCW to be safe in Baltimore, you just need to carry yourself in a confident manner and these "scary" folks won't bother you at all. If you act scared or are able to be intimidated by words or behaviors they will own you, but only if you allow it.

boss281

Ultimate Member
    Apr 14, 2012
    Carroll County
    I don't think it's fear but the weariness of constantly having to be on high alert, maintaining that "in control, confident manner", etc. Hell, I just need to do some effing business now and then and get tired of the jerks that can't mind their own business. Sure, it's nearly everywhere but more concentrated in our cities. I'm heading there this morning and literally thinking what vehicle I have that will be the least interesting and "under the radar". Truck, or dirty Mustang? Practicality wins out and I'm taking the Mustang, just because it's easier to park...

Darkemp

Ultimate Member
    Aug 18, 2009
    Marylandistan
    I don't think it's fear but the weariness of constantly having to be on high alert, maintaining that "in control, confident manner", etc. Hell, I just need to do some effing business now and then and get tired of the jerks that can't mind their own business. Sure, it's nearly everywhere but more concentrated in our cities. I'm heading there this morning and literally thinking what vehicle I have that will be the least interesting and "under the radar". Truck, or dirty Mustang? Practicality wins out and I'm taking the Mustang, just because it's easier to park...

Car you drive into the city is irrelevant. I see more high end cars in the hood than I do in the burbs. As for having to stay in character, that's just the way of the city.

Stein79

Surf&Turf
    Feb 3, 2011
    Murderland
    I moved into Loch Raven village almost a year ago. Aside from the occasional piece of trash thrown on my yard or loud shouting at night I've had no problems. For the most part it's very quiet. I run around loch raven blvd, taylor, etc with no issue. That being said, I will not have kids here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Kdaily1127

Latest threads

Top Bottom