Opinions on the Vedder Comfort Tuck IWB holster?

The #1 community for Gun Owners of the Northeast

Member Benefits:

• No ad networks!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • AKbythebay

Ultimate Member
    I appreciate all the feedback and I have been convinced to go for the Vedder Light Tuck instead of the Comfort Tuck. With their return policy if I'm not thrilled or don't find it comfortable I'll send it back. I will make a point to order the claw attachment as well.

Now just sitting back waiting for the next 25% off sale...

Sent from my Galaxy S20 using Tapatalk

Blaster229

God loves you, I don't.
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 14, 2010
    Glen Burnie
    I appreciate all the feedback and I have been convinced to go for the Vedder Light Tuck instead of the Comfort Tuck. With their return policy if I'm not thrilled or don't find it comfortable I'll send it back. I will make a point to order the claw attachment as well.

Now just sitting back waiting for the next 25% off sale...

Sent from my Galaxy S20 using Tapatalk
    Get it if you want, I think it's only 5 bucks. But that small of a gun and grip, the claw won't help you much because that grip won't print. I found that they produce unneeded pressure.

hosspower

Dec 1, 2019
    Walkersville, MD

The light tuck is excellent. I tried a rapid tuck and was very disappointed so it went back. I can only imagine the comfort tuck would have been even worse. For me, the combination of leather and kydex did not blend to make a quality product.

Spaceballs

Sep 7, 2022
    Pennsylvania
    Get it if you want, I think it's only 5 bucks. But that small of a gun and grip, the claw won't help you much because that grip won't print. I found that they produce unneeded pressure.
    I carry a sub compact in the summer. The claw in my Vedder Light Tuck is invaluable at eliminating printing. I can wear a more form fitting t shirt with shorts and the gun disappears.

Without the claw I get printing unless I am wearing the baggiest of t shirts.

But....actual milage may vary. Each person's body type (are you firm at your carry position or squishy?) each person's carry location (3, 4:30, etc) the exact dimensions of the gun, and your clothing matter.

I can't live without my claw for my sub compact. Someone else might not need it at all.

But this is not universal. My winter carry is a big giant heavy fat bulky gun. I don't have a claw with that one because I never wear it unless I am wearing a sweatshirt, jacket, or at least a baggier button down shirt.

Blaster229

God loves you, I don't.
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 14, 2010
    Glen Burnie
    I carry a sub compact in the summer. The claw in my Vedder Light Tuck is invaluable at eliminating printing. I can wear a more form fitting t shirt with shorts and the gun disappears.

Without the claw I get printing unless I am wearing the baggiest of t shirts.

But....actual milage may vary. Each person's body type (are you firm at your carry position or squishy?) each person's carry location (3, 4:30, etc) the exact dimensions of the gun, and your clothing matter.

I can't live without my claw for my sub compact. Someone else might not need it at all.

But this is not universal. My winter carry is a big giant heavy fat bulky gun. I don't have a claw with that one because I never wear it unless I am wearing a sweatshirt, jacket, or at least a baggier button down shirt.
    It's hard enough to get a good grip on an IWB draw, let alone having the grip pressed harder and further into your body.
    But I'm sure someone carrying with one is getting their daily reps of draw practice on on them LOL

alucard0822

For great Justice
    Oct 29, 2007
    PA
    There is a balance to be had between a holster isolating the pistol from you, and adding uncomfortable bulk. The Crossbreed/comfort tuck holster design does isolate the pistol, but adds more bulk than any other design, and pretty much negates the advantages of a small lightweight pistol like a PM9. The large footprint and wide clips does keep a pistol very stable, which is nice for drawing, but can be uncomfortable unless you are standing and walking as it doesn't really move and bend with you.

The light tuck is essentially a "single clip taco", probably the most popular design now. Kind of on the other side of the spectrum from the massive and bulky hybrid designs, it is thin kydex, and despite not doing much to isolate the pistol's shape, the fact it has minimal bulk alone can make it comfortable. The clip can also rotate to change the angle, and while being less stable it is easier to reposition and moves with you. It can also be used in the appendix position, my personal favorite, and works for a lot of people with small pistols.

There are a few holster designs that can work besides these two, the rapid tuck is kind of inbetween, leather backing, single clip, less bulk than the comfort tuck, but better isolation than the light tuck. You can also opt for OWB carry, with a decent holster that keeps a pistol close it can conceal well under a light jacket, and is more comfortable and easier to draw from than IWB. The PM9 is also a candidate for pocket carry in larger pockets, a decent pocket holster makes that safe, and about as convenient as carry gets.

ironpony

MDS Supporter
    Jun 8, 2013
    Davidsonville
    When I started carrying, out of state, I made one similar to the OP and I think it helped do away with newbie jitters. Currently G19 Vedder light tuck. Might have to try the claw thing & an OWB.

Spaceballs

Sep 7, 2022
    Pennsylvania
    OK thanks. For $5 I figured I'd give it a try. Looks like it's easily removable so nothing permanent.
    The claw on the Vedder Light Tuck is attached to the retention screw.

It will come with long and short screw so you can add or remove the claw. But once you get the claw positioned right and like the retention strength use lok tite to keep it in place. It is not a quick on/off because you will have to readjust the retention strength of you remove the claw.

Spaceballs

Sep 7, 2022
    Pennsylvania
    People overthink comfort. There's nothing comfortable about even the most comfortable way of carrying.
    It can be comfortable. I can put on a P365 and never think about it all day long.

This is another advantage to a light weight sub compact worn in the alright place with a holster that works for you. All day comfort. No problems.

Doen side is a smaller gun with less accuracy over 7 yards and less controlled recoil. Upside is that you won't hesitate to wear it.

Now a heavier gun... you can make it fairly comfortable but you are going to be reminded it's there several times during the day. And if you don't have the right holster, weight bearing belt, etc it can be miserable.

AKbythebay

Ultimate Member
    There is a balance to be had between a holster isolating the pistol from you, and adding uncomfortable bulk. The Crossbreed/comfort tuck holster design does isolate the pistol, but adds more bulk than any other design, and pretty much negates the advantages of a small lightweight pistol like a PM9. The large footprint and wide clips does keep a pistol very stable, which is nice for drawing, but can be uncomfortable unless you are standing and walking as it doesn't really move and bend with you.

The light tuck is essentially a "single clip taco", probably the most popular design now. Kind of on the other side of the spectrum from the massive and bulky hybrid designs, it is thin kydex, and despite not doing much to isolate the pistol's shape, the fact it has minimal bulk alone can make it comfortable. The clip can also rotate to change the angle, and while being less stable it is easier to reposition and moves with you. It can also be used in the appendix position, my personal favorite, and works for a lot of people with small pistols.

There are a few holster designs that can work besides these two, the rapid tuck is kind of inbetween, leather backing, single clip, less bulk than the comfort tuck, but better isolation than the light tuck. You can also opt for OWB carry, with a decent holster that keeps a pistol close it can conceal well under a light jacket, and is more comfortable and easier to draw from than IWB. The PM9 is also a candidate for pocket carry in larger pockets, a decent pocket holster makes that safe, and about as convenient as carry gets.

Great info, thanks for posting. I currently pocket carry the PM9 with a kydex pocket holster (also have an even smaller KT P3AT I pocket carry). For me pocket carry is by far the most comfortable method. But I'd like to have an IWB option more for colder weather months wearing jeans and long sleeves. Whether I carry pocket or IWB will be determined based on the specific clothing, weather, posture (extended time in car for example), and other issues like that specific to that particular day. Seems like the light tuck may be one of the best options out there. OWB is something I may want to think about trying. Obviously matching the right clothing will be critical. That would be very comfortable, that's for sure.

Spaceballs

Sep 7, 2022
    Pennsylvania
    It's hard enough to get a good grip on an IWB draw, let alone having the grip pressed harder and further into your body.
    But I'm sure someone carrying with one is getting their daily reps of draw practice on on them LOL
    I don't find it a problem. I can get my fingers under the grip to pull it from the holster nicely and my thumb naturally wraps around it as I come through the draw.

A few hundred reps in the mirror over a couple weeks and it became a very smooth fairly second nature motion.

But I'm in decent shape. I have a little cushion around the middle makes the gun comfortable pressed into me but not so much cushion that the grip is melting into fat folds and hard to find.

It's got to be the right set up FOR YOU.

That said...for a larger sized person with plenty of extra padding around the waisted area... the claw probably isn't needed in the first place. The gun likely disappears in the "extra manliness" all on its own.

So it's all very personal. How does THAT gun fit on YOUR body? Everyone is going to have a different experience here. There is not a universal right answer on concealment style.

AKbythebay

Ultimate Member
    The claw on the Vedder Light Tuck is attached to the retention screw.

It will come with long and short screw so you can add or remove the claw. But once you get the claw positioned right and like the retention strength use lok tite to keep it in place. It is not a quick on/off because you will have to readjust the retention strength of you remove the claw.

Good to know, thanks for posting!

Blaster229

God loves you, I don't.
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 14, 2010
    Glen Burnie
    It can be comfortable. I can put on a P365 and never think about it all day long.

This is another advantage to a light weight sub compact worn in the alright place with a holster that works for you. All day comfort. No problems.

Doen side is a smaller gun with less accuracy over 7 yards and less controlled recoil. Upside is that you won't hesitate to wear it.

Now a heavier gun... you can make it fairly comfortable but you are going to be reminded it's there several times during the day. And if you don't have the right holster, weight bearing belt, etc it can be miserable.
    I've worn a P229 in a suede holster for 17 years almost daily, I never thought of it either.

Everyone is on the Vedder bandwagon, I've switched to tenicor. The fit is incredible, thinner, and the metal clips and many mounting options make it superior. They literally put a card in there saying "No safe queens allowed".
    With use, your gun will wear.
    That's how fine their fit is. And I'm ok with that.
    c73c9f9c4946df11c33db428fc3b4c06.jpg
    b340fdd48d5a3ddeb1b2c2707edcd690.jpg
    a4f1a8f94b7d91601f703a5f9f2b120c.jpg

Art3

Eqinsu Ocha
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 30, 2015
    Harford County
    I've worn a P229 in a suede holster for 17 years almost daily, I never thought of it either.

Everyone is on the Vedder bandwagon, I've switched to tenicor. The fit is incredible, thinner, and the metal clips and many mounting options make it superior. They literally put a card in there saying "No safe queens allowed".
    With use, your gun will wear.
    That's how fine their fit is. And I'm ok with that.
    c73c9f9c4946df11c33db428fc3b4c06.jpg
    b340fdd48d5a3ddeb1b2c2707edcd690.jpg
    a4f1a8f94b7d91601f703a5f9f2b120c.jpg
    What the heck, man? Aren't we on the Vedder bandwagon because you put us there? :rolleyes:

Spaceballs

Sep 7, 2022
    Pennsylvania
    Good to know, thanks for posting!

Tulster is another fine option. My winter carry gun rides in a Tulster.

Downside is that the Tulster comes with a plastic belt clip that should be swapped out for steel. The Vedder comes with steel.

However the Vedser light tuck clip sits out away from the kydex so you can tuck a shirt in behind it. This makes it push your belt out about ⅜ of an inch further. (See image below)

The Tulster has the belt right up against the kydex so it slims up the whole thing nicely and holts the gun in place without a claw (plus with winter clothes I don't need a claw as much anyway). But you can't tuck a shirt into it .

Vedder light tuck clip....
    Screenshot_20220920-100437_Opera.jpg

Spaceballs

Sep 7, 2022
    Pennsylvania
    What the heck, man? Aren't we on the Vedder bandwagon because you put us there? :rolleyes:
    Tulster offered him a better endorcement deal so now he has to downplay the Vedder love. But with his bigger contract now drinks are on Blaster! :beer:

(Just not while concealed carrying at JB's in Severna Park)

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    GD-3

Latest threads

Top Bottom