• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • echo6mike

Ultimate Member
    Feb 1, 2013
    Close to DC
    Not much good news from D17 here in PRMoCo. We got Simmons out, he was a big SB281/FSA backer, but I don't think his replacement will be much better.

Everything else worked out just as planned by the machine. Not surprised, but still...

:sad20:

Docster

Ultimate Member
    Jul 19, 2010
    Bingo!

3rd party candidates are why I doubt I'll ever see any one without a (D) elected ever again.

Sure, I'd love a conservative but not at the risk of getting an Obama/Frosh/Brown/random Democrat name inserted here which is EXACTLY what has and will happen.

Dino and voted and knew it wouldn't matter but did it and will always do it any way.

It wasn't Third Party candidates, these were the party primaries. It's the longshot candidates. I commented on this before, but the DINO strategy of '"vote for anybody but 'xyz' or the incumbent" does the same thing-it splits the votes and favors the incumbent or the ordained favorite. :sad20:

TopShelf

@TopShelfJS
    Feb 26, 2012
    Not much good news from D17 here in PRMoCo. We got Simmons out, he was a big SB281/FSA backer, but I don't think his replacement will be much better.

Everything else worked out just as planned by the machine. Not surprised, but still...

:sad20:

Then the answer becomes very simple...

Work to get a better candidate elected.:innocent0

Part of the goal was removal of FSA supporters, so 17 Senate side I think we can count as a win

Edit: here is Simmons info:

Luiz Simmons (D)

Last edited:

501st

Ultimate Member
    Jun 16, 2011
    Spolier alert: Braveboy had 87,575 or 20% ... If she had NOT have split the vote, Cardin could have won by a slim margin. (219,906) Was she even a viable candidate, or did Frosh or the MD DemocRAT machine 'encourage' her to run 'for the experience' ? :sad20:

She was actually the best candidate of the 3, but she didn't stand a chance against the money/support of Frosh and the name recognition of Cardin.

Unfortunately the people who voted for her didn't understand this and basically ensured frosh would win instead of cardin who could be "controlled".

The better question is whether the R AG candidate can even do anything to win or is it already game over for the AG race?

rambling_one

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Oct 19, 2007
    Bowie, MD
    Part of the goal was removal of FSA supporters, so 17 Senate side I think we can count as a win

Edit: here is Simmons info:

Luiz Simmons (D)

Some might say it wasn't the DINO movement that moved Simmons to the unemployment line. No matter the catalyst, the objective was met.

TxAggie

Ultimate Member
    Feb 25, 2012
    Anne Arundel County, MD
    Here is what I perceive is the REAL problem in this state:

The DINO movement, as well as any meaningful effort over the last half decade, has been driven by MDS and other small grass roots efforts. So the question begging to be answered is: where the hell is the MD Republican Party?

There has been ZERO leadership from any organized party contesting the Democrats in this state.
    Zip
    Zero
    Nada

Ehrlick's election was as much about being anti KKT as it was pro Bob. Hell, the Republican Party even moved out of their headquarters in downtown Annapolis.

It can't just come from us, we need a statewide leader.
    Period.

Mr H

Banana'd
    Here is what I perceive is the REAL problem in this state:

The DINO movement, as well as any meaningful effort over the last half decade, has been driven by MDS and other small grass roots efforts. So the question begging to be answered is: where the hell is the MD Republican Party?

There has been ZERO leadership from any organized party contesting the Democrats in this state.
    Zip
    Zero
    Nada

Ehrlick's election was as much about being anti KKT as it was pro Bob. Hell, the Republican Party even moved out of their headquarters in downtown Annapolis.

It can't just come from us, we need a statewide leader.
    Period.

While I agree 100% with this...

It's the need for a CONSERVATIVE leader, at least as much as for a Republican one.

They could be one and the the same, yes... but I'd take either one at this point.

TopShelf

@TopShelfJS
    Feb 26, 2012
    A few more positives from yesterday. Not necessarily DINO, but positive none the less:
    http://www.mdshooters.com/showpost.php?p=3262705&postcount=452
    http://www.mdshooters.com/showpost.php?p=3262856&postcount=458
    http://www.mdshooters.com/showpost.php?p=3262990&postcount=461

Some might say it wasn't the DINO movement that moved Simmons to the unemployment line. No matter the catalyst, the objective was met.

Agreed. Attributing results directly to 1 thing, like the DINO effort, is really not possible to say for sure. Too many variables in the mix

Haides

Ultimate Member
    Oct 12, 2012
    Glen Burnie
    Megan Simonaire is in on the R side of D31b in the House. I doubt she'll be as vocal as Dwyer, but I'm certain she'll be on our side as her father is D31's senator Brian Simonaire, who I am somewhat acquainted with personally and know is with us. So that's good at least. Without Dwyer & Smigiel we might be losing voices, but at least we may not lose votes too.

TopShelf

@TopShelfJS
    Feb 26, 2012
    Braveboy and Cardin were both FSA supporters. Cardin was also a cosponsor of that bill. They both have effectively taken themselves out, which is another win for us :)

Mr H

Banana'd
    Braveboy and Cardin were both FSA supporters. Cardin was also a cosponsor of that bill. They both have effectively taken themselves out, which is another win for us :)

This is a ghood thing, no doubt...

But it also opens up a huge question.

With Cardin out, who will be (is still??) the Patron of the DDA Honey Hole??

I know... not for this thread... but something I need to pursue.

Minuteman

BANNED!!!
    She was actually the best candidate of the 3, but she didn't stand a chance against the money/support of Frosh and the name recognition of Cardin.

Unfortunately the people who voted for her didn't understand this and basically ensured frosh would win instead of cardin who could be "controlled".

The better question is whether the R AG candidate can even do anything to win or is it already game over for the AG race?

Agreed! This exercise proved we can not do it alone, we need a larger base and national leadership. Legitimate and organized support - no way we can win this state back on just a grass roots effort (short of the other 'box').

Let's realign behind some of the conservative winners, like District 32 GOP new front man - Tim Walters. https://www.facebook.com/pages/Citizens-for-Tim-Walters/1414482268808694?notif_t=page_new_likes

Thanks again to all who helped!

Partial cross post is below. I am cleaning up the research thread and will post up any others I find

@@@@@@@@

Here is some good news: Unofficially gone are the below 2 candidates (House side), both of whom were FSA sponsors!

Tarrant (D)
    cosponsor of FSA-H
    Voted Yea on FSA, MJD, BB, RT, TR, GT, DP, MW, ST

47A - New district
    Michael Summers (D)
    • currently serving as a Delegate in District 47 (which has been eliminated)
    • cosponsor of FSA-H
    • Voted Yea on FSA, MJD, BB, RT, TR, GT, DP, MW

Good news, thanks!

Regardless of how the election went yesterday, we definitely helped to inform and motivate many thousands of Liberty minded voters in Maryland.

I can't help but think that some of our efforts at least contributed to the decision of some that voted for SB281, that it wasn't worth running for office again. I know personally, that many - many of you did your part.

That which does not kill us makes us stronger.
    - Friedrich Nietzsche

ShallNotInfringe

Lil Firecracker
    Feb 17, 2013
    Thanks again to all who helped!

Partial cross post is below. I am cleaning up the research thread and will post up any others I find

@@@@@@@@

Here is some good news: Unofficially gone are the below 2 candidates (House side), both of whom were FSA sponsors!

Tarrant (D)
    cosponsor of FSA-H
    Voted Yea on FSA, MJD, BB, RT, TR, GT, DP, MW, ST

47A - New district
    Michael Summers (D)

[*]currently serving as a Delegate in District 47 (which has been eliminated)
    [*]cosponsor of FSA-H
    [*]Voted Yea on FSA, MJD, BB, RT, TR, GT, DP, MW

Tarrant is out??? He was the one that changed his vote during the Good Friday Treachery...

TopShelf

@TopShelfJS
    Feb 26, 2012
    Tarrant is out??? He was the one that changed his vote during the Good Friday Treachery...

Unofficially, and not by a whole lot, but yes.
    http://results.elections.maryland.gov/elections/results_data/index.html

The last number is % of vote. This did not paste in very cleanly...

House of Delegates
    Legislative District 40
    Democrat
    Vote for No More Than Three
    Party, Early, Election Day, Absentee / Provisionals, Total Votes, %
    Douglas R. Barry DEM 104 766 0 870 3.52

Marvin "Doc" Cheatham DEM 634 2,645 0 3,279 13.27

Frank M. Conaway, Jr. DEM 672 3,409 0 4,081 16.51

Quianna M. Cooke DEM 186 906 0 1,092 4.42

Antonio Hayes DEM 739 3,923 0 4,662 18.86

Rob "Bobby" LaPin DEM 120 1,389 0 1,509 6.11

Bill Marker DEM 129 602 0 731 2.96

Timothy Mercer DEM 95 525 0 620 2.51

Barbara A. Robinson DEM 742 3,274 0 4,016 16.25

Shawn Z. Tarrant DEM 727 3,129 0 3,856 15.6

Last edited:

ShallNotInfringe

Lil Firecracker
    Feb 17, 2013
    For those who don't recall the Good Friday Treachery... Smigiel submitted an amendment to FSA2013 that would have prevented diminutive credits for crimes involving firearms and heres the recap of the voting shenanigans that ensued.

Original vote was 24-21. Vallario obstains from first vote, which is customary for the chair to do - even says on form "Chair generally does not vote"

Tarrant changed his vote second time around. In the event of a tie, the motion fails. Sooooooooo, it stood at 23-22.

Vallario voted. Bringinig it to 23-23. Goes down.

Docs and story here: http://www.mdshooters.com/showthread.php?t=113663

And Tarrant was voted out Tuesday.... Wonder if this came up in his district...

TxAggie

Ultimate Member
    Feb 25, 2012
    Anne Arundel County, MD
    Megan Simonaire is in on the R side of D31b in the House. I doubt she'll be as vocal as Dwyer, but I'm certain she'll be on our side as her father is D31's senator Brian Simonaire, who I am somewhat acquainted with personally and know is with us. So that's good at least. Without Dwyer & Smigiel we might be losing voices, but at least we may not lose votes too.

I'm in this district, and I'm hopeful she'll win in the general and will be on our side when it comes to votes.

As for Del Mike and Dwyer, they will be missed by us if for nothing else than their fiery rhetoric. But MAYBE this will be a positive. I'm not entirely convinced either were effective at changing votes in our direction. I'm quite certain Dwyer alienated himself on multiple occasions. Maybe Simonaire and Mike's replacements will be more persuasive.

Haides

Ultimate Member
    Oct 12, 2012
    Glen Burnie
    I'm in this district, and I'm hopeful she'll win in the general and will be on our side when it comes to votes.

As for Del Mike and Dwyer, they will be missed by us if for nothing else than their fiery rhetoric. But MAYBE this will be a positive. I'm not entirely convinced either were effective at changing votes in our direction. I'm quite certain Dwyer alienated himself on multiple occasions. Maybe Simonaire and Mike's replacements will be more persuasive.

I'm one district over but Senator Simonaire and I attend the same church, so I'll be sure to chat them up if I see them.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Wolfloc22

Latest threads

Top Bottom