• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • mcbruzdzinski

NRA Training Counselor
    Industry Partner
    Aug 28, 2007
    Catonsville MD
    Thanks so much for all the compliments especially about the RSO's "just collecting brass", that was probably uncalled for and rather tacky . The RSOs are Volunteers (they don't get paid, nada) they donate their time and try to keep everybody safe. True, it is a thankless job and there are very few people who choose to do this. The RSOs are out there every weekend in the cold of Winter and the heat of Summer and oh yeah in the rain also.

Rules are there for a reason, just like every other shooting range, the rules are not voted on but rather approved by the State of Md. and not all the rules are popular. It sounds like a fun idea to practice your quick-draw as you are probably very proficient at it, but how about someone next to you tries to emulate your skills and shoots you instead.

Remember, it is a STATE RANGE in a STATE FORREST and that means that EVERYONE is eligible to come and shoot, extra precautions are implemented for this very reason.

Just like every other range, if you don't like the rules go shoot elsewhere, Elk Neck is a wonderful place to shoot just remember to bring your own target stand.

If the RSO job sounds like something you would like to do .... Sign Up and deal with some of these people instead of bitchin' about rules. :thumbsup:

Note: everywhere you go it's YOU that is obligated to watch Your own stuff. You are responsible for Your stuff, so bring a friend !

Bravo Zulu Marko!

One postive note about volunteering for being an RSO at ENSF is that we offer NRA RSO certification at cost of the materials. Basically you get the entire course and your RSO certification for about $50.00 (including the NRA fees).

Last edited:

foxtrapper

Ultimate Member
    Sep 11, 2007
    Havre de Grace
    Those stories are enough to make me go to an SGL in PA over Elk Neck LOL. Ha ha, at least I can open carry at the SGL... ( loaded gun- AND get back in my truck with it on to boot, till I get to that damned state line- but I can watch to see if anyone is tailing me first).

Oh and I twice went to a range in PG county lol, but it was a private cop range and the guy was a buddy of somebody ( probably PG brass). Too bad they didn't allow full auto, cuz I woulda hit the happy switches.

ENSF

Nov 22, 2008
    Below are the regulations for weapons within a state forest in Maryland:
    Title 08 DEPARTMENT OF NATURAL RESOURCES
    Subtitle 07 FORESTS AND PARKS
    Chapter 01 State Forests
    Authority: Natural Resources Article, §5-209, Annotated Code of Maryland

.04 Weapons.
    A. Definition. In this regulation, "weapon" means:
    (1) A device capable of propelling a projectile at high velocity by mechanical means, by explosion, or by expanding gas, including but not limited to a firearm, crossbow, or longbow;
    (2) A dirk knife, bowie knife, switchblade (except penknives without switchblades), sand club, metal knuckles, razor, or nunchaku; or
    (3) A device capable of:
    (a) Inflicting death or bodily harm to an individual,
    (b) Maiming or destroying wildlife, or
    (c) Destroying property.
    B. Except as provided in § C and D of this regulation, possession or use of weapons or firearms by an individual other than a law enforcement officer is prohibited in all State forests.
    C. Target shooting is permitted only at designated shooting ranges. The regulations governing the use of these ranges shall be posted and strictly observed.
    D. Except when legally hunting or legally target shooting, an individual may not discharge a firearm on land or waters owned or controlled by the Service.
    E. Firearms shall be unloaded, and arrows kept in a quiver or case, when in a State forest campsite.

There is no reference to being allowed to open carry even if you have a permit unless you are a law enforcement officer. The only designated area that weapons are allowed is at the range firing line unless it is a legal hunting season and you are hunting. It may not be worn in the parking lot, it may not be worn driving into the state forest, and it may not be worn walking around the ranges.

The Range Safety Officers are acting in accordance with guidance provided to them. They volunteer thier own time to keep the range safe and provide for a great experience for our users. They are extremely appreciated.

If one looks at the range rules that are in place, each has been administered because of previous incidents. None of them have been initiated to take any rights away. A portion of the rules are there to prevent the destruction of the facility as we are continually repairing baffles that are shot full of holes. If anyone has additional comments, please contact me directly at my office at (410) 287-5675.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Wolfloc22

Latest threads

Top Bottom