• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • SOMDSHOOT

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Nov 18, 2009
    Indian Head
    Hey Bud. That is 24.7 grains of ARCOMP and the Sierra BlitzKing 55 grain bullet. I don't have a chrono, so am unsure about MV variances right now. But it is hitting where I want it to again and again. I also shot a group at 100 while testing some other ammo.

ARCOMP is supposed to be consistent in a wide temperature range, so hopefully the groups hold up over the winter.

Thanks for the reply PaxFish. My buddy and I are not really target shooters, but, the goal is to get the bullet near the 1" circle at 50 yards. I think I have done an excellent job at this point. I'm just not confident in my shooting with that Ar-15 and that scope. He told me it was an AimPoint ? Suggested to him by a few other fellows he knows that own AR's as well. I just can not see the 1" dot at 50 yards with that large red reticle. However when he shoots the thing he is just about driving tacks in that 1" circle with my reloads. I think the H4895 is serving the purpose for the reloads, but, the shooters need some experience with the gun. I might be shooting that AR15 4 times in a year at best. I just need to keep him consistent.

byf43

SCSC Life/NRA Patron Life
    Thanks for the reply PaxFish. My buddy and I are not really target shooters, but, the goal is to get the bullet near the 1" circle at 50 yards. I think I have done an excellent job at this point. I'm just not confident in my shooting with that Ar-15 and that scope. He told me it was an AimPoint ? Suggested to him by a few other fellows he knows that own AR's as well. I just can not see the 1" dot at 50 yards with that large red reticle. However when he shoots the thing he is just about driving tacks in that 1" circle with my reloads. I think the H4895 is serving the purpose for the reloads, but, the shooters need some experience with the gun. I might be shooting that AR15 4 times in a year at best. I just need to keep him consistent.

Just a couple of 'tips' for shooting an AR with the red dot (that works for me, anyway).

1. Don't 'crank' the brightness up so much, that the red dot 'blossoms'.
    Looking at brightness of 1 to 10, with 10 being the brightest, I keep my Aimpoint Pro at either 5, 6, or 7. No higher.

2. Co-witness the red dot with iron sights.
    With the Magpul MBUS rear iron sight (on my Colt 6920) and the front sight lined up with proper sight alignment, the red dot sits directly on top of the front post.
    To me, the red dot just makes aligning the sights on the target 'faster'.

If I turn off the red dot, I'm still hitting what I am at, at 100 yards and beyond.
    If I don't flip up the rear sight, the red dot performs it's intended duty, to get me 'on the target'. It was never meant (to me!) to be a precision sight. Minute of coffee cup base is close enough with the red dot!

I am a 'paper puncher'. That little Colt 6920 will cluster my H-335 fueled handloads into little cloverleafs at 100 yards.
    (It's rapidly becoming my favorite AR!!)

I may just go to the farm on Sunday, to see what it will do at 200 and 300 yards. (I might even get lucky, and hit the 'clanger' at 354 yards, IF I do my part.) :D

I just don't cherish 'chasing brass' in tall grass.

SOMDSHOOT

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Nov 18, 2009
    Indian Head
    Just a couple of 'tips' for shooting an AR with the red dot (that works for me, anyway).

1. Don't 'crank' the brightness up so much, that the red dot 'blossoms'.
    Looking at brightness of 1 to 10, with 10 being the brightest, I keep my Aimpoint Pro at either 5, 6, or 7. No higher.

2. Co-witness the red dot with iron sights.
    With the Magpul MBUS rear iron sight (on my Colt 6920) and the front sight lined up with proper sight alignment, the red dot sits directly on top of the front post.
    To me, the red dot just makes aligning the sights on the target 'faster'.

If I turn off the red dot, I'm still hitting what I am at, at 100 yards and beyond.
    If I don't flip up the rear sight, the red dot performs it's intended duty, to get me 'on the target'. It was never meant (to me!) to be a precision sight. Minute of coffee cup base is close enough with the red dot!

I am a 'paper puncher'. That little Colt 6920 will cluster my H-335 fueled handloads into little cloverleafs at 100 yards.
    (It's rapidly becoming my favorite AR!!)

I may just go to the farm on Sunday, to see what it will do at 200 and 300 yards. (I might even get lucky, and hit the 'clanger' at 354 yards, IF I do my part.) :D

I just don't cherish 'chasing brass' in tall grass.

I had to go back and check on his scope. It's an AimSports. It's sort of like this with the red crosshairs and not the red dot. At 50 yards it just washes out the 1" circle on the target.

51qLfg0O00L._SX342_.jpg

byf43

SCSC Life/NRA Patron Life

I had to go back and check on his scope. It's an AimSports. It's sort of like this with the red crosshairs and not the red dot. At 50 yards it just washes out the 1" circle on the target.

51qLfg0O00L._SX342_.jpg

Turn the intensity down on the luminated reticle.

IMNSHO, those multi-dot scopes aren't that 'great' for anything.
    For a 'battle rifle', or one used in close quarters shooting, they MAY be o.k., however, you start shooting distance(s), and they become more of a liability than an asset.

SOMDSHOOT

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Nov 18, 2009
    Indian Head
    Turn the intensity down on the luminated reticle.

IMNSHO, those multi-dot scopes aren't that 'great' for anything.
    For a 'battle rifle', or one used in close quarters shooting, they MAY be o.k., however, you start shooting distance(s), and they become more of a liability than an asset.

That's exactly why I don't care for the setup he has. I felt like I was trying to look around the reticle to see the target. It was very uncomfortable for me who is used to black thin line crosshairs.

Pinecone

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 4, 2013
    Don't make him angry Pinecone, He will tell you that you are acting like a third grader and put you on his IGNORE list.

Oh the humanity of it all. :omg::omg::omg:

Someone please quote this

I hope he does put me on his ignore list. :lol2:

coopermania

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Aug 20, 2011
    Indiana
    With useless post like this, I have to agree...third grader.

Man your two years behind, Catch up son. Humor is said to frustrate some while others laugh until they get cramps.
    But I understand it must be hard to think living up above the treeline with the air being so thin. :lol2::lol2::lol2:

SOMDSHOOT

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Nov 18, 2009
    Indian Head
    Man your two years behind, Catch up son. Humor is said to frustrate some while others laugh until they get cramps.
    But I understand it must be hard to think living up above the treeline with the air being so thin. :lol2::lol2::lol2:

Attachments

• mothflame.jpeg
      mothflame.jpeg
      4.8 KB · Views: 121

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Mikeymike88

Latest threads