• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • SOMDSHOOT

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Nov 18, 2009
    Indian Head
    ok, I got the die set and bullets in from TitanReloading this afternoon and I got some new ammo boxes from Ebay this afternoon as well.

Still would like to find some more .223 brass about 50 would be sweet.

My plan, and question is, I plan to use my 4 pound jug of Hodgdon Clays for some .55 gr. FMJ reloads since I have so much of it here on hand.

My question is, does anyone else use Clays for .223 ?

Hodgdon states reloading data at 3.2 grains in their online data.

Comments, suggestions, notes. All welcome.

I also know that .223 is a very popular caliber, so, any help on the cheapest place to buy bullets would be great help as well. I'm not so sure about casting a .224 bullet yet, so, I guess I'll go the FMJ route for now.

Attachments

• HODGEDON CLAYS 223.jpg
      HODGEDON CLAYS 223.jpg
      42.9 KB · Views: 755

44man

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 19, 2013
    southern md
    ok, I got the die set and bullets in from TitanReloading this afternoon and I got some new ammo boxes from Ebay this afternoon as well.

Still would like to find some more .223 brass about 50 would be sweet.

My plan, and question is, I plan to use my 4 pound jug of Hodgdon Clays for some .55 gr. FMJ reloads since I have so much of it here on hand.

My question is, does anyone else use Clays for .223 ?

Hodgdon states reloading data at 3.2 grains in their online data.

Comments, suggestions, notes. All welcome.

i still have that bag of brass and those tl bullets in the truck for you.

SOMDSHOOT

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Nov 18, 2009
    Indian Head
    i still have that bag of brass and those tl bullets in the truck for you.

SOB !!!!! I just stuck a note to my cb radio work bench so I would remember. Can I get you to mail that stuff to me ? I will greatly reimburse you for your efforts. Let me know and I'll PM my address. I get stuck in my shop and getting out of here is hard to do.

44man

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 19, 2013
    southern md
    SOB !!!!! I just stuck a note to my cb radio work bench so I would remember. Can I get you to mail that stuff to me ? I will greatly reimburse you for your efforts. Let me know and I'll PM my address. I get stuck in my shop and getting out of here is hard to do.

pm your shop address and i will drop it off tomorrow or wednesday when i am in la plata and the dorf.

FlatsFlite

Aug 6, 2012
    King George, VA
    I've loaded with Clays.

When loading sub sonic, start high then reduce as you go. I started at 4.5 and ended up at 2.8gr. Accuracy is pretty good out too 100 yards.

rickyp

Ultimate Member
    Sep 13, 2009
    if you want some brass all you have to do is make a trip over to MG and pick up some one fired bras. if you are lucky you can find about 50 in a day or two

Winterborn

Moved to Texas
    Aug 19, 2010
    Arlington, TX
    Interested in this thread, as I've never loaded .223 subsonic. I am planning, eventually, to get a mold to cast some boolits for this cartridge and would probably load them subsonic.

Pinecone

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 4, 2013
    Why 55 grain subsonic?????

Might as well shoot .22. 40 grain subsonic. :)

SOMDSHOOT

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Nov 18, 2009
    Indian Head
    Why 55 grain subsonic?????

Might as well shoot .22. 40 grain subsonic. :)

Elaborate on your question. I don't much care if it is subsonic or not. I don't use the word subsonic because it sounds cool. My buddy bought some 55 grain Winchesters and that's what we are starting with as target loads, general shooting, groundhogs, ect.

peace

Ultimate Member
    Dec 15, 2011
    AACo
    Subsonic means below the speed of sound. The 55gr .223 bullet is designed to go 3000+ Feet Per Second or FPS The sound barrier at sea level is right about 1125 FPS at 70 degrees Farenheight. A subsonic load in general will not cycle a semi-auto unless a suppressor is added.

For general plinking I see no reason why you couldn't use a sub but for groundhog hunting wind and force on target may come into play.

coopermania

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Aug 20, 2011
    Indiana
    Subsonic means below the speed of sound. The 55gr .223 bullet is designed to go 3000+ Feet Per Second or FPS The sound barrier at sea level is right about 1125 FPS at 70 degrees Farenheight. A subsonic load in general will not cycle a semi-auto unless a suppressor is added.

For general plinking I see no reason why you couldn't use a sub but for groundhog hunting wind and force on target may come into play.

He wants to use Clay's Powder! And with Clays all he can do is Subsonic.

Winterborn

Moved to Texas
    Aug 19, 2010
    Arlington, TX
    Elaborate on your question. I don't much care if it is subsonic or not. I don't use the word subsonic because it sounds cool. My buddy bought some 55 grain Winchesters and that's what we are starting with as target loads, general shooting, groundhogs, ect.

What gun are you going to use? A bolt action will do fine, a semi will most likely not cycle due to the small amount of gas such a load will generate.

Most results I have read show that inside a hundred yards your loads will perform fine, over that and accuracy will quickly diminish.

Sent from my KFTT using Tapatalk 2

SOMDSHOOT

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Nov 18, 2009
    Indian Head
    What gun are you going to use? A bolt action will do fine, a semi will most likely not cycle due to the small amount of gas such a load will generate.

Most results I have read show that inside a hundred yards your loads will perform fine, over that and accuracy will quickly diminish.

Sent from my KFTT using Tapatalk 2

These rounds will be used in an AR-15. I can not imagine my buddy shooting over 100 yards. 50 yards maybe at best.

SOMDSHOOT

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Nov 18, 2009
    Indian Head
    These are two commercial rounds that my buddy dropped off last night. One is Remington the other BT is Winchester. Both are 55 grain. The bullets for the Remington is what I currently have 100 for. I didn't know he had bought the BT's until last night.

Attachments

• DSC03076.JPG
      DSC03076.JPG
      14.6 KB · Views: 592

stu929

M1 Addict
    Jan 2, 2012
    Hagerstown
    You can find 55gr fmj bullets for 10-13 per pill butthey have to be purchased in bulk.
    I have started to see more of the hunting bullets for 16-18c per pill rcently.

While clays appears that it can be used it is no where near the best choice.

335/4895/varget would all make better powders and be able to drive the round the way it was intended.

Steve

SOMDSHOOT

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Nov 18, 2009
    Indian Head
    You can find 55gr fmj bullets for 10-13 per pill butthey have to be purchased in bulk.
    I have started to see more of the hunting bullets for 16-18c per pill rcently.

While clays appears that it can be used it is no where near the best choice.

335/4895/varget would all make better powders and be able to drive the round the way it was intended.

Steve

Ok, let me ask it this way. Is Clays ok for general target shooting ? It's basically a target gun and close range range backyard groundhogs. I have a 4 pound jug of Clays and would like to simply reload some (100) rounds for targeting. He's not looking to shoot 200 yards.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Mikeymike88

Latest threads

Top Bottom