• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • clandestine

AR-15 Savant
    Oct 13, 2008
    Elkton, MD
    Like discussed, a SBR AR is still an AR no matter how people want to pick it apart. Am I happy about this? Not a chance, but I thought it was going to pan out this way.

The only loophole for an AR could be is a HBAR SBR AR that has an OAL of 29.25" or longer.

Other SBR' that weren't banned or copies I don't see how they can ban them.

If this continues all that can be done is a Lawsuit/Injunction.

BradMacc82

Ultimate Member
    Industry Partner
    Aug 17, 2011
    In the back of my mind I worried about this being an eventuality. Guess I no longer have to worry.

BradMacc82

Ultimate Member
    Industry Partner
    Aug 17, 2011
    Lawsuit isn't going to be a quick proposition no matter how you cut it.

The mad rush for SBR's has officially begun.

jvegas

Ultimate Member
    Aug 15, 2009
    Like discussed, a SBR AR is still an AR no matter how people want to pick it apart. Am I happy about this? Not a chance, but I thought it was going to pan out this way.

The only loophole for an AR could be is a HBAR SBR AR that has an OAL of 29.25" or longer.

It's quite possible that MSP grouped all SBRs together today and really meant AR15 SBRs. I, however, am presenting exactly what they said. I'm not speculating to what they actually could have meant.

ShallNotInfringe

Lil Firecracker
    Feb 17, 2013
    There is no repeal of or amendments to Public Safety 5-203 in SB281...

Which is:

(a) A person may not possess a short-barreled rifle or short-barreled shotgun unless:
    (1) the person, while on official business is:
    (i) a member of the law enforcement personnel of the federal government, the State, or a political subdivision of the State;
    (ii) a member of the armed forces of the United States or the National Guard while on duty or traveling to or from duty;
    (iii) a member of the law enforcement personnel of another state or a political subdivision of another state, while temporarily in this State;
    (iv) a warden or correctional officer of a correctional facility in the State; or
    (v) a sheriff or a temporary or full-time deputy sheriff; or
    (2) the short-barreled shotgun or short-barreled rifle has been registered with the federal government in accordance with federal law.
    (b) In a prosecution under this section, the defendant has the burden of proving the lawful registration of the short-barreled shotgun or short-barreled rifle.
    (c) A person who violates this section is guilty of a misdemeanor and on conviction is subject to imprisonment not exceeding 5 years or a fine not exceeding $5,000 or both.

Shouldn't they have amended this to remove SBR references?
    Sounds arbitrary.

clandestine

AR-15 Savant
    Oct 13, 2008
    Elkton, MD
    It's quite possible that MSP grouped all SBRs together today and really meant AR15 SBRs. I, however, am presenting exactly what they said. I'm not speculating to what they actually could have meant.

I'm just thinking out loud, I'm in your corner Vegas. :)

aquaman

Ultimate Member
    Sep 21, 2008
    Belcamp, MD

the atf still measures overall length with the stock extended correct?

fightinbluhen51

"Quack Pot Call Honker"
    Oct 31, 2008
    I have some neat stiff up my sleeve.

Does it include that pretty thing you posted several months back that begins with a D and ends in raco?:innocent0

And this is maddening. The only legislative intent here is entrapment of dealers in lawful commerce, private, law abiding citizens, and anyone who wishes to exercise, legally, their fundamental right.

occbrian

Ultimate Member
    Jan 3, 2013
    in a cave
    But they said they were banning via OAL and copycat? Copycat is the feature test and OAL. It isn't the named list "and copies."

I should probably stop trying to find a logical explanation. Doubt it exists. Lol.

Kingjamez

Gun Builder
    Oct 22, 2009
    Fairfax, VA
    With any luck, Form 1's will qualify as purchase orders. Remember there is a difference between manufacture and make. Form 1's give the right to MAKE an SBR which while it can encompass manufacture, doesn't always have to. Making an AR-15 into an SBR may not be manufacturing a new SBR since the original serial number is retained.

-Jim

Biggfoot44

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2009
    I interpeted Airyec's vitrol as being directed to the MSP , and not to Jvegas for reporting it.

BUT as mentioned regarding SBR's ; Md/ MSP can concievably make interpetations of various sorts regarding SB281 and SBR process. ( Not that these specifically are valid , but various hypothetical interpetations ). But there are whole bunches of SBR's that have No connection whatsoever with anything addressed in SB281 . Off the top of my head - Trapper version Lever Actions , T/C Contenders w/ shoulder stocks and 16in > bbl , bolt actions w/ 16in > bbl , etc

pbharvey

Habitual Testifier
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 27, 2012
    And this is maddening. The only legislative intent here is entrapment of dealers in lawful commerce, private, law abiding citizens, and anyone who wishes to exercise, legally, their fundamental right.

Obviously you haven't heard about the mass casualties caused by SBRs in Maryland.:sarcasm:

I doubt anyone's been killed or even shot by one legally owned by a civilian.

jvegas

Ultimate Member
    Aug 15, 2009
    With any luck, Form 1's will qualify as purchase orders. Remember there is a difference between manufacture and make. Form 1's give the right to MAKE an SBR which while it can encompass manufacture, doesn't always have to. Making an AR-15 into an SBR may not be manufacturing a new SBR since the original serial number is retained.

-Jim

My thought is proving it was in fact a rifle and not an "other" prior to Oct 1.

clandestine

AR-15 Savant
    Oct 13, 2008
    Elkton, MD
    But they said they were banning via OAL and copycat? Copycat is the feature test and OAL. It isn't the named list "and copies."

I should probably stop trying to find a logical explanation. Doubt it exists. Lol.

I think this is a case of improper words. Copycat is a Feature Test, where Clone/Variant is something previously used to determine what rifles were regulated.

From the way I always thought this would go is as follows:

-SBR AR15, Banned (with exception of possibly an HBAR AR/SBR over 29") because the AR was regulated and clones are banned.

-SBR AK, Banned because the AK was regulated

-SBR SCAR 16 over 29", OK if equipped with a brake and not a Flash Hider (because it has a folder) and it was NEVER regulated thus not a Clone or Varia t of a Banned Rifle. Likely adding a Silencer to one purchased post October 1 would be not legal as a silencer is a "Flash Hider" and in addition to a folder its a 2 feature copycat now.

-SBR Remington 700, OK because its not semi auto and was never regulated.

-SBR PS90, Banned as will be under 29" even though it was never regulated.

I'm not sure if I'm explaining screwy MD Antigun Law Logic clearly though.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    cddrive

Latest threads

Top Bottom