• Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Ciditad

Nov 27, 2019
    Hindsight 20/20 and I don't want to rub salt in your wound, but anyone who holds a HQL could have held them in safekeeping for you.

I'm not familiar with Cooter's, but if they're on the up and up, they would be willing to hold them for a fee and then transfer them back to you once this is cleared up. I would reach out and see if they would take $500 to hold on to your collection until the issue is rectified and you forfeit the money if you can't resolve the issue by xx/xx/xxxx

Hindsight would have been me leaving my collection with my parents in CA where my collection was perfectly legal.

I'm OK selling it since Cooter's clientele seems to be collector driven and I hope they go to a loving owner.

DP12

Apr 24, 2018
    SoMD
    I think I'd buy a canoe and risk an unfortunate fishing accident long before I'd give up a collection like that...or any other.

Pinecone

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 4, 2013
    I already addressed both of your points.

"Voluntary registration is not mandatory" is a tautology. New residents are subject to Mandatory registration.

None of my handguns are "registered." The Maryland State Police maintain a database with all my 77rs in it, though. It's the transfers which are registered, not the guns. Some of my guns are registered to several different people, and I man not even own all the guns whose transfers were registered to me.

When you buy or otherwise acquire a new handgun through a transfer of ownership, you are performing the same legal function as a Voluntary Registration of a handgun you already own. That is a different activity, and does not involve a transfer of ownership.

The Form 77r is used for two separate functions, as I said.

My question is, do new residents use the Form 77r for Mandatory Registration, which would be a third function?

I don't see it on the current form, but in the past, the Form 77 had a statement, maybe on the back, that by completion of the form, you agree to "voluntary" registration of the firearm.

So there was "voluntary" registration, but there was no way to opt out if if, if doing a regulated transfer (post 9/30/96).

And no, the 77R is not the form for a new residence .

Here is the link to the info on new resident registration. $15 fee, for any number of firearms. https://mdsp.maryland.gov/Organizat...censingDivision/Registration/NewResident.aspx

Defense Rifle

Jul 1, 2016
    NC
    OP my condolences for what you are going through.

If it's possible I would move to PA and try to repurchase the firearms from the FFL. Maryland is likely to get worse when it comes to gun rights, next legislative session will likely have more restrictions on rifles, ammo, and registration requirements.

Although I know some people have to be in MD for many reasons, but if you can move, I would do it.

If you choose to fight in court, I hope you win and get your stuff back.

Unless SCOTUS or the 4th circuit has some positive rulings on gun rights anytime soon Maryland is a inhospitable state to live in for gun owners.

Threeband

The M1 Does My Talking
    Dec 30, 2006
    Carroll County
    And no, the 77R is not the form for a new residence .

That was the only point I wanted to make by posting in this thread. Mandatory Registration for new residents is not voluntary registration.

But yes, the Form 77r is used for two separate purposes, Transfer of Ownership (the record of which creates a de facto registry), and Voluntary Registration without Transfer of Ownership.

Defense Rifle

Jul 1, 2016
    NC
    That was the only point I wanted to make by posting in this thread. Mandatory Registration for new residents is not voluntary registration.

But yes, the Form 77r is used for two separate purposes, Transfer of Ownership (the record of which creates a de facto registry), and Voluntary Registration without Transfer of Ownership.

If one where to bring handguns into the state of MD as a new resident. Does Maryland have a way of knowing? What if someone misses the registration deadline?

Doobie

Ultimate Member
    Jan 23, 2013
    Earth
    I moved to Maryland from WV 7 1/2 years ago. I have lived in Maryland 7 1/2 years too long. I despise and detest this state with every ounce of my being. We live in a quiet area close to our jobs and the kids’ school. However, as convenient as it is, if I could sell my house and garage sitting on .4 acres today I’d start moving immediately. I feel like a prisoner living in this state.

Mike

Propietario de casa, Toluca, México
    MDS Supporter
    I moved to Maryland from WV 7 1/2 years ago. I have lived in Maryland 7 1/2 years too long. I despise and detest this state with every ounce of my being. We live in a quiet area close to our jobs and the kids’ school. However, as convenient as it is, if I could sell my house and garage sitting on .4 acres today I’d start moving immediately. I feel like a prisoner living in this state.

There are problems with that approach. I think it's been discussed in this sticky thread in the MD 2A forum.

New member moving to the Annapolis area with an existing collection of firearms including AR, AK, M14 and FAL rifles. I'm at a loss with the current set of laws and having trouble finding advice how to proceed legally. First off...the move is a necessity and not an option. So before anyone says to stay in FL lets understand it's out of the question. And I know how to use a search engine, but most threads on the subject offer spotty/questionable advice and quickly take a turn. I've thought about asking the local law but reluctant to rely solely on this since anything offered may not be in my best interest.

So to begin with how does someone enter into MD with a trunk full of "evil" rifles? And supposing I arrive at my new home without being arrested what do I do next and how long do I have? Assuming I have to register everything how is it done and would it be better to put my collection into a "trust" before moving? Some of the rifles were purchased after your new laws took effect.

Thank you for your time and any constructive advice is appreciated.

Speed3

Ultimate Member
    Aug 19, 2011
    MD
    Hindsight would have been me leaving my collection with my parents in CA where my collection was perfectly legal.

I'm OK selling it since Cooter's clientele seems to be collector driven and I hope they go to a loving owner.

P7M8 sold already, no not to me$1,800 too...dam, woulda been mine

GuitarmanNick

Ultimate Member
    Jan 9, 2017
    Laurel
    Seems to me that most new to Marylandistan would be better off not attempting to comply with our unconstitutional laws and just keep things stored until they are able to escape this tyrannically oppressive, poor excuse of a state!

If it weren't for family, I would have left years ago!

owgriffin

May 15, 2012
    I wanted to mention that PA has its own gun board, who passes sentence you regardless of federal clearance. They looked up an accident I had on a motorcycle 35 years ago and said that the results were still pending, because whatever web reference they used did not contain the disposition of the accident. Using that, they put my application for a .22 rifle into limbo forever, or I could hire an attorney in Maryland to try and fight with them. I just moved to Tennessee and cannot overstate how nice the people are, how beautiful the country is, etc.

So, beware moving to PA before you face the same horseshit from the PA gun board.

Pinecone

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 4, 2013

No, the 77r is voluntary registration upon transfer of ownership also.

As I stated, there was a statement on the back that completion of the form indicated that you wanted to "voluntarily" register the firearm also.

Yes, you can also use it to register a firearm that was not purchased in MD.

Pinecone

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 4, 2013
    If one where to bring handguns into the state of MD as a new resident. Does Maryland have a way of knowing? What if someone misses the registration deadline?

Not unless something occurs that makes it come up.

Car accident on the way to or from the range. Theft of one of them.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Nelsonbencasey

Latest threads

Top Bottom