• Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Mr H

Banana'd
    I've been a member of mdshooters for about a year, but this is my first posting.

Since Maryland is a blue state, I believe that most Democrat politicians feel they are free to ignore gun owners since their only real challenge is in the primary. If we want to survive, we need to change that. Here is a copy of a letter I just sent to all Senators and Delegates.

---
    Dear XXX,

I am a newly registered Democrat, having previously been a registered Republican for many years. I am writing you today on the issue of gun control. Maryland already has some of the most restrictive gun control laws in the country, and I would strongly oppose any new laws which infringe on my right to protect myself and my family. In the general and primary elections, I will support candidates for office that respect the civil right of self defense. If you are undecided on the issue of gun control, I ask you to keep an open mind during the upcoming debate.

Thank you for your time.

We've been discussing since 2010 switching from "Unaffiliated" to "D" just to try and upset the primaries, then switching back for the general.

Last edited:

drwalther

MSI Executive Member
    Jun 18, 2010
    Berlin
    I think one must certainly weigh the consequences on both sides before making a decision like this. With enough numbers, it could certainly work. I can't stand not being able to vote for the candidate that most reflects my values, which requires a primary vote, and has almost never been a Dem.

I'd encourage the OP to join the local Democratic Central Committee if you really want to start having impact.

Mr H

Banana'd
    I've been thinking about doing that just to vote against O'Malley in the primary if he runs for President next time around.

Ideally, it could be used to vote for all sorts of weak Ds, keeping the establishment critters at a disadvantage.

An additional effect could be to make Maryland an "open" primary state, which will REALLY kill the stranglehold Curran & Co. have.

semper000

Mar 24, 2009
    Wouldn't changing ones voting status to Dem make them ineligible to vote in Republican primaries?

Dec 31, 2012
    Wouldn't changing ones voting status to Dem make them ineligible to vote in Republican primaries?

Unless your in a district that can actually put up two republican contenders for a seat where the choice matters, then honestly what difference would this make in Maryland?
    On the national level, when has Maryland swayed a Republican presidential primary?

Mad_Max

Oct 25, 2011
    South County
    I'm registered unafiliated and I have thought about switching to dem to vote against the crappy dems that are forced down our throats. I believe registering as a dem to get a vote against in the primaries is the only way to have a say in this stae.

5cary

On the spreading edge of the butter knife.
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 30, 2007
    Sykesville, MD
    Are there any pro-gun Dems in Maryland?

Yeah. But they're all in this thread already.

My problem with re-registering as a dem is that the Republican primary is too important to me. It's the only time I feel like I have a say.

Markp

Ultimate Member
    Dec 22, 2008
    Much like the tea party took over the republican party, and extreme liberals have taken the democrat party, the only way is to register democrat in this state and infiltrate the party to change its direction.

hodgepodge

Senior Member (Gold)
    Sep 3, 2009
    Arnold, MD
    It's an interesting approach, registering as a Democrat to affect their primaries.

But I would be afraid as dying a registered Democrat. And my wife assures me that it would happen quickly.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    dracula

Latest threads

Top Bottom