• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • pleasant1911

Ultimate Member
    Apr 12, 2012
    Ed Brown custom 1911.

Agree with this.

Make it a safe queen??? And dry fire the hell out of it. Never to the range. I could see his son on one of those on the road value my antique collection show in 50 years from now.

I have a 50 year old NIB Ed brown 1911. I think my dad paid $4k for it….lol

trickg

Guns 'n Drums
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 22, 2008
    Glen Burnie
    If you get the colt it has to blued??? Not SS.
    Unfortunately I don't think Colt is offering the new Python in blued steel - only stainless - which IMO is too bad because I think that there are few things as beautiful as that glossy, deep, Colt blue on those classic Pythons.

Vatreni4Life

Sep 24, 2021
    HoCo
    I didn't know the gun was for the baby till teen years of the youngster. I thought it was for the OP UNTIL the child is old enough or he inherits it in the will.
    Haha you’re right. I’ll pass it on when he’s responsible and old enough. It’s for me to enjoy and then pass along the joy that I had to him. I already have in mind a first shotgun, AR, but pistol… that’s dedicated for him and him only is so cherished and priceless. I was lucky to have that happen to me so I know the feeling and can’t wait to share the family tradition. I will never sell the gun my Dad first gave me. So many good memories!

Vatreni4Life

Sep 24, 2021
    HoCo
    I think regardless of what you go with, it should be all steel or at least all metal. A polymer frame doesn’t scream family heirloom to me.

A nice revolver is always a good bet for something fun, different and special in todays age. If buying new, the Colt Python sure checks a lot of boxes. Or an older Smith. Or a New Model Ruger Blackhawk Flattop.

For a 9mm that is a cut above, I’m a fan of Langdon Tactical Beretta 92s. Has some of the classic Beretta looks with nice improvements. Buy one from them to get their trigger job. It’s a G model so decocker over a safety. You can spruce it up with their NP3 parts as an option.
    Agreed. I own too many polymer guns and I don’t plan on making that my first family heirloom. Great minds think alike, Sir

Bob A

όυ φροντισ
    MDS Supporter
    Patriot Picket
    Nov 11, 2009
    If it's to be a Python, I'd like one of the new 5" barrel ones, hoping I could get the Custom Shop to make one with the DLC (Diamond-Like Coating) better than blue!

I bet your kid would like it too!

Vatreni4Life

Sep 24, 2021
    HoCo
    The FFL I used on that transfer was Cindy’s Hot Shots in Glen Burnie, and I’m glad I did because they held the gun for me until I could get it added to the MD Handgun Roster- they didn’t even charge me a storage fee although I think they probably could have.

Question - CZ USA offers a fantastic Military/First Responder discount - do you qualify? That’s what brought the Valor down to a price point that I was more comfortable with when I was trying to decide what 1911 I wanted to get.
    Yup! I know where that is. I go there often to shoot. I’m wish I could qualify for that discount. I’m just a regular joe haha

Vatreni4Life

Sep 24, 2021
    HoCo
    Yep-- there are many quality aftermarket 1911 grip suppliers you could do engraving on the frame and custom grips. Perhaps his grandads service dates in Korea and branch of service...possibilities only end w/your imagination. it's just too easy, looks sharp, and makes it a one of kind heirloom for generations to come.
    Dude I spent all day at work down this rabbit hole. I had no idea wowwwwwwwwww. The 1911 has so many options jfc. This is what I’m leaning toward with some type of engraving of his birth year. I saw some cool deigns online today. Didn’t get anything done at the office lol

Vatreni4Life

Sep 24, 2021
    HoCo
    I think it's for dear old Dad - he's using the birth of his son as an excuse to buy a new gun, ostensibly so it can be passed down one day as, "I bought this gun for you right before you were born." :D And that's perfectly ok - I know I've come up with some creative reasons to buy/build guns too.
    Home run! Out of the park not even close to upper deck! Guess we all seem to do this :rockon:

calicojack

American Sporting Rifle
    MDS Supporter
    May 29, 2018
    Cuba on the Chesapeake
    @FN509Fan I agree. So my recommend list is now: Springfield Armory 1911 Loaded, CMP 1911, or a CZ75 variant.
    pistol-9mm-cz-75.jpg
    pistol-45apc-1911A1.jpg

gerding100

Dec 12, 2023
    Manheim PA
    Looking for an excuse to buy another handgun… we are due in about three weeks. My timeline doesn’t have to be “purchased before he’s born” but rather a classic to someday pass onto him. I can wait a month or so I just had the idea really.
    I’d like to add to the collection but have this one gun just remind me of him ya know? I don’t own any 1911s… but many striker fired/hammer fired and don’t want another one. What would be kinda cool? Staying in the 9/45mm would be ideal since I have thousands of rounds of both. I’m open to another caliber to own but hesitant because I know how I like to buy ammo… haha. I have plenty of .22 so don’t bother. My budget would be under 2k but nothing too crazy. No Any thoughts? I welcome all suggestions so I can narrow down a choice. Thanks in advance
    An M 1917 US Army revolver in 45 ACP. Either Colt or Smith & Wesson. And get him a hundred full or half moon clips. If it were for my kid, I would be telling him what his great grandmother was doing when that thing rolled off the assembly line - she was a nurse when we had a REAL pandemic in 1918.

Magnumite

Ultimate Member
    Dec 17, 2007
    Harford County, Maryland
    To OP:
    What handgun do you shoot often and enjoy shooting immensely? That pistol presented at the beginning of shooting handgun is the one for him/her. It will have honest wear, history, and gift of parental comradery…like a part of yourself.

I personally bought a Ruger old model Bearcat revolver. Because it would fit him. Dad liked it, too. His ‘five shot six shooter’ as we called it. He learned how to load with five, thumb back the hammer and lower it on an empty chamber. ..with close accompanied suoervision. He had a holster, cartridge belt (which virtually never had cartridges in it), and wore the gun when he went with me to matches. The guys at the club were great. I asked if he could shoot a ‘match’. He did…

BurkeM

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 8, 2014
    Baltimore
    Looking for an excuse to buy another handgun… we are due in about three weeks. My timeline doesn’t have to be “purchased before he’s born” but rather a classic to someday pass onto him. I can wait a month or so I just had the idea really.
    CMP 1911
    1705959005007.jpeg

Should be another round coming shortly.

smokey

2A TEACHER
    Jan 31, 2008
    Buy a lower for each of your kids and then build it into a complete firearm thar matches their personality. For example, my oldest has a 16" 300blk with a 1-6 LPVO waiting for him. He's sensible and adaptable. My middle is a bruiser that gives no Fs(he will run up on middle schoolers on the playground to get in their face and talk smack... he's 7) so he has a 8.5" 300 blk braces pistol with a red dot waiting for him. My 7 Month old has a 14.7 pinned/welded 5.56 lightweight rifle w/red dot hanging out for him, subject to change as he grows in to a personality.

The handgun option would essentially be a sig 365 or glock 19. You could build them up into a variety of configurations, depending on how you want the gun to match up to him.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Nelsonbencasey

Latest threads

Top Bottom