• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • The Watcher

Armed and Medicated
    May 6, 2013
    Upperco, MD
    I'm getting ready to buy some guns. My first purchase in years. So, I have two questions I hope you can help with.

I can not make up my mind about a .22 semi-auto rifle. I'm torn between a Remington 597, a Ruger 10/22, and a Savage 64 GXP. I only want one .22 rifle.

The other area is concerning Maryland law and the number of guns you can buy. I'd also like to buy a .22 semi-auto pistol too. But, I don't really know if I have to wait a month or can I do both.

Last edited:

Sundancer

Feb 2, 2013
    Harford County
    Ruger 10/22 good choice and lots of toys available for them. Should be cash and carry. So you can get the 22 pistol at same time and just wait for the pistol to be not disapproved.

b00sh

Feb 7, 2013
    Ruger 10/22 good choice and lots of toys available for them. Should be cash and carry. So you can get the 22 pistol at same time and just wait for the pistol to be not disapproved.

What I've read about the 597 vs 10/22 is that 597 is better out of the box and 10/22 is better when it's been modified. I am going to be buying a 22 myself sometime after October and I'm on the fence myself between those and the Martin 60. Though for my purposes I'm probably going to go with the 10/22 due to the large amount of aftermarket toys.

The Watcher

Armed and Medicated
    May 6, 2013
    Upperco, MD
    Right now I'm leaning towards the 10/22. Not because of the toys. It just seemed slightly better made. But, that is only by a small margin.

Last edited:

Sundancer

Feb 2, 2013
    Harford County
    I have a marlin 60 - great shooter just more of a "traditional" not "tactical" rifle. Used to be #1 22lr before 10/22 introduced from what I've heard. Marlin 60 is tube fed which differs from magazine fed 10/22 so can take a little bit longer to reload.

hvymax

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Apr 19, 2010
    Dentsville District 28
    Pimpmaster 10-22. And S&W 22a multi barrel setup.

Attachments

• pimptastic 10-22.jpg
      pimptastic 10-22.jpg
      71.1 KB · Views: 162
    • 22a Dotted.jpg
      22a Dotted.jpg
      62.3 KB · Views: 160

Jeproks

Jan 8, 2013
    I'm getting ready to buy some guns. My first purchase in years. So, I have two questions I hope you can help with.

I can not make up my mind about a .22 semi-auto rifle. I'm torn between a Remington 597, a Ruger 10/22, and a Savage 64 GXP. I only want one .22 rifle.

The other area is concerning Maryland law and the number of guns you can buy. I'd also like to buy a .22 semi-auto pistol too. But, I don't really know if I have to wait a month or can I do both.

Don't know much about 22 since I only own a H&K 416 pistol on that caliber. As far as MD law, you can buy 2 at the same time and the dealer will indicate "dealer's discount" on the paperwork. I advise you to apply for a MD Designated Collector's permit now so that you can bypass the 1 a month wait which literally is now 3 months with all the backlog.

The Watcher

Armed and Medicated
    May 6, 2013
    Upperco, MD
    I did decide

I did finally decide on the Ruger 10/22 takedown over the Remington and Savage.

It wasn't all the "toys" but the quality and feel in my hands that made my choice.

Oh, if you get a "new" Dick's credit card they give you 10% off that days purchases. That is what made me decide yesterday.:bannana:

b00sh

Feb 7, 2013
    I did finally decide on the Ruger 10/22 takedown over the Remington and Savage.

It wasn't all the "toys" but the quality and feel in my hands that made my choice.

Oh, if you get a "new" Dick's credit card they give you 10% off that days purchases. That is what made me decide yesterday.:bannana:

I'll probably be following your footsteps this fall.

The Watcher

Armed and Medicated
    May 6, 2013
    Upperco, MD
    I'm waiting for Ruger to send me a mount for my telescopic sight. It is on back order. It would be nice if they had rings that would be able to use the 10/22 scope mount. Even if their prices for rings are outrageous.

Benanov

PM Bomber
    May 15, 2013
    Shrewsbury, PA
    I have a marlin 60 - great shooter just more of a "traditional" not "tactical" rifle. Used to be #1 22lr before 10/22 introduced from what I've heard. Marlin 60 is tube fed which differs from magazine fed 10/22 so can take a little bit longer to reload.

Buy an aluminum hunting arrow, remove the tip and fletching. Now you have a speedloader.

I have a friend up in NH who did this, and while you still have to load the arrow by hand, it's a lot less troublesome than loading the rifle itself.

The Watcher

Armed and Medicated
    May 6, 2013
    Upperco, MD
    I've been to Continental Arms again today. Tried out the Smith & Wesson M&P 9 and a Springfield 1911 9mm.
    I think it must be me. But, I haven't really noticed much difference in recoil from one 9mm to another.

Mofiki

Dec 16, 2012
    the gun shop in essex had an ak on consignment up there yesterday. probly not there anymore but worth a shot

Bafflingbs

Gozer the Destroyer
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 16, 2013
    Calvert County
    Now I know half of you are probably rolling your eyes, but oh well. I'm new to the forum at the suggestion of a coworker. I am looking specifically for an AK-style rifle, preferably in the 7.62x39mm variety. I saw one at Scotts and was hoping to go put money down today but I see that someone has already purchased it :-(

I have checked at all the places around Glen Burnie and nobody seems to have anything for less than around $2,000. Has anybody seen anything that is worth checking out? Thanks in advance. (Mods if this post is in the wrong category, then feel free to move it)
    I'll sell you my Yugo pap for $1999.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Shive62

Latest threads

Top Bottom