• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • protegeV

Ready to go
    Apr 3, 2011
    TX
    I need to find out about loch raven. It's much closer to me and yesterday was too much fun! I think 2016 is gonna be a good year for shooting sports. Between trap and the idpa that another member has gotten me into, it oughta be great :D

JoeRinMD

Rifleman
    Jul 18, 2008
    AA County
    If the weather is good, I am thinking about shooting sporting clays at PG Trap & Skeet the weekend of January 16/17. Going to see if my brothers are interested and/or anybody else on this board. Of course, it would be nice if you can make it.

I'd love to be there and bring along some friends. The weather this time of year can be a huge issue. We can have almost tropical days...or a blizzard...or anything in between! I don't see anything on my schedule yet but we're just finishing up a huge house renovation, and I might get caught up having to get something done for the house. Let's keep it posted here and I'll let you know what happens.

Figure I might as well match my total days out shooting in 2015 in the very first month of 2016. Then, anything more than that in 2016 is an improvement.

Sounds like a noble goal! By the end of the year you could get to a 1000% higher than 2015!

JoeR

tdt91

I will miss you my friend
    Apr 24, 2009
    Abingdon
    I shot 4 rounds again today at Cedars. Found out I had been using Mod choke but I did shoot better today than yesterday. Takes practice which I haven't had any in a very long time. For me clays are a winter sport so hopefully I'll bust lots of them this winter.

Mr H

Banana'd
    I shot 4 rounds again today at Cedars. Found out I had been using Mod choke but I did shoot better today than yesterday. Takes practice which I haven't had any in a very long time. For me clays are a winter sport so hopefully I'll bust lots of them this winter.

Apparently we weren't introduced.

No biggie, but it's just good to have members come out and just have a good, fun day.

protegeV

Ready to go
    Apr 3, 2011
    TX
    Apparently we weren't introduced.

No biggie, but it's just good to have members come out and just have a good, fun day.

lol, I didn't get introduced either. But after he told me what I was doing wrong on the first round DC-W told me who he was :lol2:

protegeV

Ready to go
    Apr 3, 2011
    TX
    What were ya doin' wrong?

well, he told me I could load a round in the barrel but just leave the action open. Then close the action and shoot when it was my turn. Initially I was waiting til my turn to grab a shell out of my pocket and start loading, but that was taking too long.

Then later on, fabs corrected my stance. I had my elbows tucked in like when rifle target shooting. He basically told me to chicken wing it so I could swing the rifle better. My shooting improved GREATLY after this :D

Feb 28, 2013
    well, he told me I could load a round in the barrel but just leave the action open. Then close the action and shoot when it was my turn. Initially I was waiting til my turn to grab a shell out of my pocket and start loading, but that was taking too long.

They don't appreciate that at Baltimore County Fish and Game.

But still, God forbid you take take too long...

rseymorejr

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 28, 2011
    Harford County

Then later on, fabs corrected my stance. I had my elbows tucked in like when rifle target shooting. He basically told me to chicken wing it so I could swing the rifle better. My shooting improved GREATLY after this :D
    Start using a shotgun and your scores will improve even more
    :D

Mr H

Banana'd
    Just for clarification...

This was a casual event, and a number of first time shooters were being learned up as we went.

The RSO made a point to state that (as a 'practice' field) speed wasn't a concern, but rather to be safe.

That said... The last round I shot was with a full squad of experienced players, and with Lou as the leader was as crisp and tidy as I've ever been a part of.

Knowing which is which makes for a pleasant day.

protegeV

Ready to go
    Apr 3, 2011
    TX

This was a casual event, and a number of first time shooters were being learned up as we went.

The RSO made a point to state that (as a 'practice' field) speed wasn't a concern, but rather to be safe.

That said... The last round I shot was with a full squad of experienced players, and with Lou as the leader was as crisp and tidy as I've ever been a part of.

yeah, the first round got disrupted by my firearm malfunction. The last round got severely jacked up because he who shall remain nameless lost track of the the round count and shot #6 without switching :lol2:

DC-W

Ultimate Member
    Patriot Picket
    Jan 23, 2013
    ️‍
    I meant to thank that RSO in the grey sweater as I left, but he was herding the staff around at that point.

He helped me get into the general flow of things early on and was very kind :thumbsup:

Lou45

R.I.P.
    Jun 29, 2010
    Carroll County

Usually we try to have the lead shooter be somebody that knows the basic ropes of trap and will keep round count to ensure proper rotation (read protegeV's quoted post below).

yeah, the first round got disrupted by my firearm malfunction. The last round got severely jacked up because he who shall remain nameless lost track of the the round count and shot #6 without switching :lol2:

Don't feel bad for gettin' off #6 before rotation. May of 2014 we were shooting a benefit fund raiser trap shoot in Hagerstown at North American Rod & Gun for Mike Smigel and Ray Givens, the last round of trap we (Team MDS) shot, we only rotated positions once after the first 5 shots and well, the rest of the shoot went down in MDS history; and yes, they closed the trap range down on us. Do a search, there's a thread here somewhere covering it.

protegeV

Ready to go
    Apr 3, 2011
    TX
    Usually we try to have the lead shooter be somebody that knows the basic ropes of trap and will keep round count to ensure proper rotation (read protegeV's quoted post below).

Don't feel bad for gettin' off #6 before rotation. May of 2014 we were shooting a benefit fund raiser trap shoot in Hagerstown at North American Rod & Gun for Mike Smigel and the last round of trap we (Team MDS) shot, we only rotated positions once after the first 5 shots and well, the rest of the shoot went down in MDS history; and yes, they closed the trap range down on us. Do a search, there's a thread here somewhere covering it.

lol, that's funny.
    And I don't feel bad bc it wasn't me ;) :D

I think the problem was mostly due to the fact that there was no scorekeeper everyone was trying to remember their own score. So for the lead guy to try to remember how many birds he hit and which shot he was on each round could be kind of tough. I had a hard enough time remembering my score and I was #5 every round. :lol2:

PapiBarcelona

Ultimate Member
    Jan 1, 2011
    I think you are pretty much spot on. Yeah, choke matters to a degree. Thing is, what the heck does a person do while out hunting. I hunt with a semi auto, and the birds don't give me time to swap out chokes. For the most part, I just pick a choke for the animal I am hunting. I use IC for upland hunting if we are using pointing dogs. M for doves, and I kill them out to 50+ yards all the time (Finding them afterward isn't always easy). Then, I use a Patternmaster and Hevi-Shot for waterfowl and that combo patterns really dense. If the geese land in the decoys and I am on, there is usually a cloud of feathers falling for a while. If the geese want to keep circling at 40 yards, I still shoot them.

At the sporting clays range, you can find me screwing around with choke tubes. lol

Clay shooting is mostly mental.

I'm a weird clay shooter, probably a weird person too. :lol2:

No matter what I do, I have to hold my gun at shoulder height, call for the target, mount then shoot. I just can't low mount, or mount my gun then call for the target. I get too slow when I can't see the target from it's earliest appearance where the station is.

fabsroman

Ultimate Member
    Mar 14, 2009
    Winfield/Taylorsville in Carroll
    They don't appreciate that at Baltimore County Fish and Game.

But still, God forbid you take take too long...

I shot at Baltimore County Fish and Game last summer with a member from this board. It was completely fine to put a round in the chamber on my trap gun and just not close the action. This has been acceptable at every range I have shot clays at, even AGC. Now, what is not acceptable is closing the breech or bolt before the guy next to you goes bang. Same goes for walking around with the breech or bolt closed. The breech can only be closed when it is your turn to shoot or you are putting the gun in the rack. The bolt can only be closed when it is your turn to shoot.

Right after my gun goes bang, I crack it open and put another round in the chamber. I just leave it cracked open until it is my turn to shoot.

fabsroman

Ultimate Member
    Mar 14, 2009
    Winfield/Taylorsville in Carroll

lol - that is why I put the entire box of shells in my pouch and I do not empty the shells out of the box into my pouch. After the first row of shells is gone, CHANGE. After the second row of shells is gone, CHANGE. Hard enough keeping track of how many birds I miss. Cannot imagine keeping track of that and how many I have shot at a specific station.

Feb 28, 2013

Attachments

• image.jpeg
      image.jpeg
      11.5 KB · Views: 76

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Mikeymike88