• Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Mr H

Banana'd
    yeah, the first round got disrupted by my firearm malfunction. The last round got severely jacked up because he who shall remain nameless lost track of the the round count and shot #6 without switching :lol2:

Because I've lost count before, I use a 2-pocket method...

I'll put the whole box of shells in the main pocket, and put 5 in the secondary to start each rotation.

protegeV

Ready to go
    Apr 3, 2011
    TX
    Because I've lost count before, I use a 2-pocket method...

I'll put the whole box of shells in the main pocket, and put 5 in the secondary to start each rotation.

35311741.jpg

protegeV

Ready to go
    Apr 3, 2011
    TX
    lol - that is why I put the entire box of shells in my pouch and I do not empty the shells out of the box into my pouch. After the first row of shells is gone, CHANGE. After the second row of shells is gone, CHANGE. Hard enough keeping track of how many birds I miss. Cannot imagine keeping track of that and how many I have shot at a specific station.

good point. You also drew something to my attention. The first round I count how many birds I hit (8). By the last two rounds it would have been easier to count how many I missed, 6 and 5....Instead of counting to how many it hit, 19 and 20. :whack:

fabsroman

Ultimate Member
    Mar 14, 2009
    Winfield/Taylorsville in Carroll
    good point. You also drew something to my attention. The first round I count how many birds I hit (8). By the last two rounds it would have been easier to count how many I missed, 6 and 5....Instead of counting to how many it hit, 19 and 20. :whack:

Yep, you know you are an above average trap shooter when you start to county how many you missed instead of how many you hit. For DC-W, counting the misses would have been harder, lol Sorry DC-W.

Of course, counting how many one missed does not work well if one sucks at subtraction. It just causes all kinds of trouble once the round is over. lol

tdt91

I will miss you my friend
    Apr 24, 2009
    Abingdon
    well, he told me I could load a round in the barrel but just leave the action open. Then close the action and shoot when it was my turn. Initially I was waiting til my turn to grab a shell out of my pocket and start loading, but that was taking too long.

Then later on, fabs corrected my stance. I had my elbows tucked in like when rifle target shooting. He basically told me to chicken wing it so I could swing the rifle better. My shooting improved GREATLY after this :D

At least you improved unlike DC-W !!!!!!!!!!!:lol:
    I wish I would have been formally introduced to you as well. The only guy I knew there was Lou and that is unusual for me when I get with MDS guys. Until next time :thumbsup:

tdt91

Apr 24, 2009
    Abingdon
    Apparently we weren't introduced.

No biggie, but it's just good to have members come out and just have a good, fun day.

Yeah, hopefully we can meet someday in the near future, until then, bust dem pigeons up :thumbsup:

tdt91

Apr 24, 2009
    Abingdon
    well, he told me I could load a round in the barrel but just leave the action open. Then close the action and shoot when it was my turn. Initially I was waiting til my turn to grab a shell out of my pocket and start loading, but that was taking too long.

Then later on, fabs corrected my stance. I had my elbows tucked in like when rifle target shooting. He basically told me to chicken wing it so I could swing the rifle better. My shooting improved GREATLY after this :D

I hope I didn't offend you with that suggestion. You will find that your shooting is generally better with a good consistent pace by all shooters. I figured you were new to Trap and when I was new I was looking for any and all tips I could get.

They don't appreciate that at Baltimore County Fish and Game.

But still, God forbid you take take too long...

Hey you, not everyone is a slow poke like yourself. :D

protegeV

Ready to go
    Apr 3, 2011
    TX
    I hope I didn't offend you with that suggestion. You will find that your shooting is generally better with a good consistent pace by all shooters. I figured you were new to Trap and when I was new I was looking for any and all tips I could get.

Hey you, not everyone is a slow poke like yourself. :D

No, I totally appreciate it. I never shot clays before so I'm open to all suggestions. I learned a lot in one day. :thumbsup:

tdt91

Apr 24, 2009
    Abingdon
    lol - that is why I put the entire box of shells in my pouch and I do not empty the shells out of the box into my pouch. After the first row of shells is gone, CHANGE. After the second row of shells is gone, CHANGE. Hard enough keeping track of how many birds I miss. Cannot imagine keeping track of that and how many I have shot at a specific station.

This is another tip that was told to me when I first started. When I was shooting with you guys you may have noticed I always took #1 spot and always said change when it was time. Just trying to be helpful in case anyone noticed.

protegeV

Ready to go
    Apr 3, 2011
    TX
    This is another tip that was told to me when I first started. When I was shooting with you guys you may have noticed I always took #1 spot and always said change when it was time. Just trying to be helpful in case anyone noticed.

I noticed. You were #1 for my first round. Fabs was #1 for my 2nd and 3rd round. You both did a fine job. Then some n00b took #1 for my fourth round and it all went in the toilet... :lol2:

Augie

Ultimate Member
    Sep 30, 2007
    Central MD
    Good to meet some of you, maybe next time I'll actually shoot.

One tip when self scoring, if you miss put the empty shell in an empty pocket, then count them up when you are done, this assumes you break more than you miss. You don't want to be keeping score in your head,the only thing you want to be thinking of is breaking the bird.

protegeV

Ready to go
    Apr 3, 2011
    TX

One tip when self scoring, if you miss put the empty shell in an empty pocket, then count them up when you are done, this assumes you break more than you miss. You don't want to be keeping score in your head,the only thing you want to be thinking of is breaking the bird.

That's a great tip if you aren't shooting a semi auto. ;) :D

fabsroman

Ultimate Member
    Mar 14, 2009
    Winfield/Taylorsville in Carroll

It was great meeting you. Great to finally put a face with "Augie".

Lou45

R.I.P.
    Jun 29, 2010
    Carroll County

This ^^^ progresses to........

THIS^^^!!!!:D

Yeah, Augie turned out to puss out on shooting. Come on dude!!! I was lookih' forward to havin' you shoot on the same squad one station before me so I could follow your lead. Usually when I immediately follow a better shooter than myself, I usually do better (but me get's left out).:D

That's a great tip if you aren't shooting a semi auto. ;) :D

You can always pick up a shell....

Fat Furry guy describes half of us there. lol

Ya' forgot to include gray.

JoeRinMD

Rifleman
    Jul 18, 2008
    AA County
    If the weather is good, I am thinking about shooting sporting clays at PG Trap & Skeet the weekend of January 16/17. Going to see if my brothers are interested and/or anybody else on this board. Of course, it would be nice if you can make it.

Any update on PG Trap this weekend? The forecast for Sat morning isn't too peachy, with rain lingering from Friday night. However, Sunday morning/early afternoon looks clear, if a bit chilly, with temps at about 36.

JoeR

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Mikeymike88

Latest threads

Top Bottom