• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Applehd

Throbbing Member
    MDS Supporter
    Apr 26, 2012
    I am absolutely amazed that I had a perfect score with all the shit I shot today... now trap was a totally different story...:o

AACo

Tiny Member
    MDS Supporter
    Nov 11, 2015
    Westminster
    How many of you guys shoot at AGC/PG Trap?

Would love to let a MDS trap league going...once the shoulder heals up. I was told 6 months last week :(

DC-W

Ultimate Member
    Patriot Picket
    Jan 23, 2013
    ️‍

Would love to let a MDS trap league going...once the shoulder heals up. I was told 6 months last week :(

Gah! Take it easy and get well soon. You'll be ready just in time for much better weather ;)

AACo

Tiny Member
    MDS Supporter
    Nov 11, 2015
    Westminster
    Gah! Take it easy and get well soon. You'll be ready just in time for much better weather ;)

Thanks man. More time to prep, that's all. :D

Attachments

• IMG_0262.jpg
      IMG_0262.jpg
      69.6 KB · Views: 127

fabsroman

Ultimate Member
    Mar 14, 2009
    Winfield/Taylorsville in Carroll
    You would have done worse with IMPROVED Cyl. Mod is the right one till you get better, then go to Full. I shoot Full now and I bet Fabs do too.

Nope. I shoot modified from the 16 yard line. Have been using that choke since the late 90's for the 16 yard line. I go to improved modified at the 20, lite full at the 24, and full at the 27. Then, if things get crazy and we go beyond 27, then xtra full.

The gun ProtegeV was using today had improved cylinder in it. From the 16 yard line, whether I would use IC or M depends on how quickly a person fires on the target. I take a little while to pick the target up, so I go with M. Now, using full choke on the 16 yard line results in smoke balls when you are on. It makes it somewhat intimidating to shooters around you, unless they are doing the same thing. I did use full choke for the first couple years I was shooting trap.

fabsroman

Ultimate Member
    Mar 14, 2009
    This is how I started two years ago also. Nice to shoot with everyone today. I am still a beginner compared to Fabs, etc. I use a full choke, also. I like to let the bird crest before I shoot. Gives me more time to zero in. I'm old and the hand eye coordination isn't as fast as you young guys. A full choke is needed when you wait like I do. I agree that you stay with modified until you get to know your gun better. I shot two 20s and an 18 today. I didn't keep count the first round and forget the other :rolleyes:
    a little cold for my taste, but had a good time.

You shouldn't let the targets hit their peak. If you think about it, once they hit their peak, they are then dropping. If your muzzle is rising to meet them, and they start dropping, chances are you are going to shoot over top of them. A good proportion of my misses today were from shooting over top of the bird. I was late on the trigger and let the muzzle climb above the target.

Now, if you are using a gun made for trap, it is meant to float the bird above the barrel so you can always see that rising target. That would make it even harder to hit stuff as it crests. A lot easier with a field, skeet, or sporting clays gun.

My wife and kids thought it was cold today, but my son stuck it out and wants to go again. My wife and I were talking about it tonight and why I didn't find it to be cold today. I am guessing that sitting in blinds and in tree stands when it is 20 degrees outside with snow all over, or riding a bike in spandex when it is just above freezing, made today seem like a really nice day to be out shooting.

We'll have to do this again when it warms up. Not too cold, not too hot, but just right. Reminds me of a story. lol

fabsroman

Ultimate Member
    Mar 14, 2009
    In my amateur opinion, I think people get way worked up with choke tubes. I shot a Muller U2 on 16 yard wobble which is the same targets as what you all did basically, I didnt dust every target like you can with a full but I broke 21/22 birds.

U2 is like equivalent to a light modified. When im on point, im 70%-80% in weekend warrior Sporting Clays targets with a U1 and U2 in my barrels. 1oz-1- 1/8oz reloads and factory ammo

Maybe a few targets I miss are because of a choke, but I could easily get into the 90% if I was better shooter

I think you are pretty much spot on. Yeah, choke matters to a degree. Thing is, what the heck does a person do while out hunting. I hunt with a semi auto, and the birds don't give me time to swap out chokes. For the most part, I just pick a choke for the animal I am hunting. I use IC for upland hunting if we are using pointing dogs. M for doves, and I kill them out to 50+ yards all the time (Finding them afterward isn't always easy). Then, I use a Patternmaster and Hevi-Shot for waterfowl and that combo patterns really dense. If the geese land in the decoys and I am on, there is usually a cloud of feathers falling for a while. If the geese want to keep circling at 40 yards, I still shoot them.

At the sporting clays range, you can find me screwing around with choke tubes. lol

Clay shooting is mostly mental.

Keystone70

MSI Executive Member
    Apr 14, 2012
    HoCo
    I have to admit I enjoy blasting the clay with a direct hit. I do agree it is mostly mental. I usually know as soon as I pull the trigger when I have a miss. It is hard to concentrate 25 times in a row. That plus when the bird comes out at a hard left angle from position one or hard right from pos 5.
    Oh well; I guess if we were always shooting 25s, it would get boring. I have a Winchester SXP which is an inexpensive Field gun at 28". I haven't found any reason to buy a better gun and I'm cheap.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

Lou45

R.I.P.
    Jun 29, 2010
    Carroll County
    First time ever shooting trap. Had a great time despite...

First round I shot 8. Second, 7. Then it all went to shit!
    (That's for you Lou!)

Quote of the day. I thought Lou was gonna' fall down.

Now, DC_W on the other hand was assume with the first two rounds scoring 8 and 7 then it all went to sheet after that. :lol2::lol2: That for sure is the quote of the day. Good to met you man :thumbsup:.

"The first round I shot an 8, the second a 7, then it all went to shit after that." Thanks DC-W for the quote of the day and will prolly stick around for some time to come. :D:lol2::thumbsup::party29::bannana::rofl::clap:

Yes. I was told by a very reputable source that slugs are ok out of the "modified" rem choke.

That's about as tight as ya' wanna' get wiff slugs as I'd stay away from full or tighter.

fabsroman

Ultimate Member
    Mar 14, 2009
    You should've been in Westminster the night Fabs set eyes on me for the first time. :innocent0 :lol2:

lol - yeah, he should have been there. Then he would have heard you say to me, "DAMN, you are a lot shorter and smaller than I had imagined."

Or something to that effect.

It was great seeing you that night. I look forward to the next time we meet up. Met eruby, DA, and a lot of other good people that night. A guy at my table that night actually sent me a MDS sticker. Sadly, it is still sitting on my desk below a pile of work.

fabsroman

Ultimate Member
    Mar 14, 2009
    I have to admit I enjoy blasting the clay with a direct hit. I do agree it is mostly mental. I usually know as soon as I pull the trigger when I have a miss. It is hard to concentrate 25 times in a row. That plus when the bird comes out at a hard left angle from position one or hard right from pos 5.
    Oh well; I guess if we were always shooting 25s, it would get boring. I have a Winchester SXP which is an inexpensive Field gun at 28". I haven't found any reason to buy a better gun and I'm cheap.

I am cheap, except for when it comes to my hobbies. Hunting, shooting, cycling, and fishing. There, the money flows. Same goes with tools. I buy quality tools.

Thing is, I have had my Beretta 682 combo super trap since 1994. Have had the Beretta 682E sporting and both Beretta 391 Teknys guns since 2002. My Ruger 77MKII .300 Win Mag since 1994. My Benelli SBE since 1997. The Benelli has been used so much that the black coating has been worn off spots inside the receiver. My brother bought his in 1998 and when we compare the two, mine looks "worn".

I also believe in buy once, cry once. However, this is also dependent upon the wallet/bank account at the time of purchase.

Now, that doesn't mean that a Mossberg 500 or Remington 870 isn't a good gun for trap. It just isn't the right gun for thousands of shells through it a year. When I was shooting trap back in the 90's, I would put at least 250 shells through the gun a week. I was shooting twice a week back then. Tuesday league and then on the weekends for practice, with a registered shoot on the weekends every once in a while. Now, not so much.

We all have to buy things based upon our wallet and our perceived "needs/wants".

Heck, the NFA thread has me contemplating a Benelli M4 and a tax stamp for it. Sent an e-mail to my FFL friend last night about it. I probably have more firearms for home defense than I will ever need, but what if I need that Benelli M4.

I need to check myself in for some help.

Keystone70

MSI Executive Member
    Apr 14, 2012
    HoCo
    I am cheap, except for when it comes to my hobbies. Hunting, shooting, cycling, and fishing. There, the money flows. Same goes with tools. I buy quality tools.

Thing is, I have had my Beretta 682 combo super trap since 1994. Have had the Beretta 682E sporting and both Beretta 391 Teknys guns since 2002. My Ruger 77MKII .300 Win Mag since 1994. My Benelli SBE since 1997. The Benelli has been used so much that the black coating has been worn off spots inside the receiver. My brother bought his in 1998 and when we compare the two, mine looks "worn".

I also believe in buy once, cry once. However, this is also dependent upon the wallet/bank account at the time of purchase.

Now, that doesn't mean that a Mossberg 500 or Remington 870 isn't a good gun for trap. It just isn't the right gun for thousands of shells through it a year. When I was shooting trap back in the 90's, I would put at least 250 shells through the gun a week. I was shooting twice a week back then. Tuesday league and then on the weekends for practice, with a registered shoot on the weekends every once in a while. Now, not so much.

We all have to buy things based upon our wallet and our perceived "needs/wants".

Heck, the NFA thread has me contemplating a Benelli M4 and a tax stamp for it. Sent an e-mail to my FFL friend last night about it. I probably have more firearms for home defense than I will ever need, but what if I need that Benelli M4.

I need to check myself in for some help.
    Trap is not my primary activity, so , I don't want to put a lot of money into a gun. I won't be putting as many rounds through it as you. Now pistol is a different story.

fabsroman

Ultimate Member
    Mar 14, 2009
    Trap is not my primary activity, so , I don't want to put a lot of money into a gun. I won't be putting as many rounds through it as you. Now pistol is a different story.

I hear you. Pistol isn't my main hobby, but it is "shooting", so I spent a good amount on those too in 2013. Last October/November, I forget which, I finally shot them for the first time when I went with 6Den to the range. Have not shot them since. I'd laugh, but it is sad.

I completely understand where you are coming from though. We all have limited funds, and have to prioritize accordingly.

I was debating a purchase of a new log splitter for $3,000. I was debating it in front of my dad, and his response was, "New shotgun, or new log splitter. Tough decision." Then, I came across 41P and that money is now going toward NFA items. So, no new log splitter or shotgun for me unless I talk myself and wife into a Benelli M4, but it was the Beretta DT-11 that I had been debating. So, I am still not getting the log splitter or shotgun that I wanted.

JoeRinMD

Rifleman
    Jul 18, 2008
    AA County

I live in Arnold and work a mile away from PG Trap. I'd love the idea of a MDS trap league, or even just a bunch of us getting together to shoot Sporting Clays. My usual trap destination, however, is AAF&G. I'm a member there and the shotgun volunteer coordinator. I usually shoot there on Saturdays. If anyone is interested, I'd be happy to show them around the club and they can be my guest for a round of trap.

JoeR

fabsroman

Ultimate Member
    Mar 14, 2009
    I live in Arnold and work a mile away from PG Trap. I'd love the idea of a MDS trap league, or even just a bunch of us getting together to shoot Sporting Clays. My usual trap destination, however, is AAF&G. I'm a member there and the shotgun volunteer coordinator. I usually shoot there on Saturdays. If anyone is interested, I'd be happy to show them around the club and they can be my guest for a round of trap.

JoeR

If the weather is good, I am thinking about shooting sporting clays at PG Trap & Skeet the weekend of January 16/17. Going to see if my brothers are interested and/or anybody else on this board. Of course, it would be nice if you can make it.

Figure I might as well match my total days out shooting in 2015 in the very first month of 2016. Then, anything more than that in 2016 is an improvement.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Mikeymike88

Latest threads

Top Bottom