• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Lou45

R.I.P.
    Jun 29, 2010
    Carroll County
    It's looking like the weather is going to cooperate, will probably be a lot like last year. I should be able to make it.

I caught the noon 0'clock weather and this Friday, New Year's Day, looks good for twap chootin again as it's supposed to be mostly sunny with highs in the low to mid 40's with no mention of wind; almost identical weather to last year's shoot which was jus' fine. Dress warmly in layers and you'll be comfortable and don't forget that there's a heated clubhouse with snacks available if ya' should get chilly.

Yeah, I really do not care how well you, she, or anybody else shoots. As long as somebody is out shooting safely and enjoying themselves, that is all that matters.

My wife isn't terrible at shooting. Granted, she isn't great either. Thing is, I shoot with my brothers most of the time and we can all shoot pretty decently. So, my competitive wife does not like to be at the bottom of the totem pole. Yet, she does not have the time or interest in shooting to get better. End of the story, she does not like shooting in front of a large group of people when she knows she will not do nearly as good as the people there that are shooting the best. So, it is no fun for her to shoot in front of a bunch of people, especially a bunch of men. Who knows, maybe she will see a bunch of women shooting and she will be willing to jump in. I'm bringing 20 gauge shells just in case.

If you need some tutoring, I will try to help you to the best of my ability, which might not be much. No guarantees that you will improve whatsoever, and you might actually end up shooting worse than before I give you advice.

Uuuggghhh, what's this chit I'm hearin' 'bout kids come before trap chootin' and wives can't choot wiffa' buncha' guys a whole lot better than her???? MrH, tell'em kids to get their chit togeva' and come choot trap and fabs, grab ya' wifey and tell'er she's chootin' twap as there'll be alotta' noobs an' prolly some female noob types there that would like another one of those female types as a mentor on the line to assist with learnin' them the basics. I can tell ya' for fact there'll be some womenz chooters there chootin' on New Year's Day if the weather holds out as forecasted above.

fabsroman

Ultimate Member
    Mar 14, 2009
    Winfield/Taylorsville in Carroll
    I caught the noon 0'clock weather and this Friday, New Year's Day, looks good for twap chootin again as it's supposed to be mostly sunny with highs in the low to mid 40's with no mention of wind; almost identical weather to last year's shoot which was jus' fine. Dress warmly in layers and you'll be comfortable and don't forget that there's a heated clubhouse with snacks available if ya' should get chilly.

Uuuggghhh, what's this chit I'm hearin' 'bout kids come before trap chootin' and wives can't choot wiffa' buncha' guys a whole lot better than her???? MrH, tell'em kids to get their chit togeva' and come choot trap and fabs, grab ya' wifey and tell'er she's chootin' twap as there'll be alotta' noobs an' prolly some female noob types there that would like another one of those female types as a mentor on the line to assist with learnin' them the basics. I can tell ya' for fact there'll be some womenz chooters there chootin' on New Year's Day if the weather holds out as forecasted above.

Lou, once you get to know my wife, you will understand when I tell you that I do not tell her anything. Now, I might suggest she give it a try. Better for me to make that suggestion while she is watching other women shoot and/or watching others shoot that do not consistently shoot in the 20's like my brothers. I will bring both 20's that I own and some shells. That way, others can use the guns if need be and my wife has the option to shoot if she so desires, with a slight amount of prodding from me.

Mr H

Banana'd

Can we arrange to have a children/women-only field, completely informal, for them to get used to it in a relaxed, no-pressure, unstructured setting?

Of course, none of the parents/hubbies would be mentoring their own people!!

Lou45

R.I.P.
    Jun 29, 2010
    Carroll County
    Can we arrange to have a children/women-only field, completely informal, for them to get used to it in a relaxed, no-pressure, unstructured setting?

This ^^^ is preferable and IIRC we did this last year, not had a trap dedicated to noobs, but had some dedicated squads for boobs. It worked pretty good last year so I see no reason to change it. We'll only have a total of two traps available to us just like last year and actually that worked out pretty well. Bear in mind, this shoot is a completely informal "fun shoot" and the only protocol that'll be followed are the basic trap chootin' rules and rotation after every 5 shots. The only thing that'll be taken seriously will of course be firearms safety and will be strictly enforced as always.

Raineman

On the 3rd box
    Dec 27, 2008
    Eldersburg

This ^^^ is preferable and IIRC we did this last year, not had a trap dedicated to noobs, but had some dedicated squads for boobs. It worked pretty good last year so I see no reason to change it. We'll only have a total of two traps available to us just like last year and actually that worked out pretty well. Bear in mind, this shoot is a completely informal "fun shoot" and the only protocol that'll be followed are the basic trap chootin' rules and rotation after every 5 shots. The only thing that'll be taken seriously will of course be firearms safety and will be strictly enforced as always.

Yes...it worked out well last time. My family of new shooters benefitted greatly, especially the part about family NOT being the instructor/assistant (thanks MrH). We were even able to stand along side the newbs for safety reasons as well. It was a very comfortable and safe setting.

I am not sure how many of my original "possible +7" are going to be there, have not heard from them, and I ain't chasing them down.

I am currently having my ass kicked by the nasty cold bug that is going around, but as long as I can shake it I at least hope to be there and shoot a few rounds, and help as I can. I will have my buddy's BT99 that others can use when I am not.

If any of my "extras" do decide to show up, I'll work them in.

DC-W

Ultimate Member
    Patriot Picket
    Jan 23, 2013
    ️‍
    I'm really thinking about this. I have a 20ga Wingmaster that needs a good workout ;)

I've never shot trap/skeet before.

protegeV

Ready to go
    Apr 3, 2011
    TX
    I'm really thinking about this. I have a 20ga Wingmaster that needs a good workout ;)

I've never shot trap/skeet before.

Same on both accounts. Although I don't have a shotgun with a long enough barrel. Also not sure if my wife will be pissed if I'm gone all afternoon Friday :lol2:

fabsroman

Ultimate Member
    Mar 14, 2009
    Same on both accounts. Although I don't have a shotgun with a long enough barrel. Also not sure if my wife will be pissed if I'm gone all afternoon Friday :lol2:

Long enough in what sense? Too short to meet the range minimum required length of 24", or just not 30+" like most trap guns? My Beretta 20 gauge youth/bantam has a barrel of 22" or so, and it breaks clays at the trap range just fine. Albeit, not as easily as a 12 gauge, but it can get the job done.

Now, if the only thing you have is a home defense shotgun with an 18" barrel, I have a spare shotgun or four laying around. As it is right now, I will probably bring my Beretta 682 for myself, one 20 gauge Beretta 391 youth model, one 20 gauge BEretta 391 Teknys full size, one 12 gauge Beretta 391 Teknys, and one Beretta 3901. They should all go bang and break clays when swung properly and pointed in the right direction.

So, you don't have a shotgun issue unless for some unforeseen reason I cannot make it. Even then, I am pretty sure somebody there would be willing to let you borrow a shotgun for a round or two.

Only thing you are going to need is a get out of home pass. If nothing else, just stop by for a round or two, and not the entire afternoon.

protegeV

Ready to go
    Apr 3, 2011
    TX
    Long enough in what sense? Too short to meet the range minimum required length of 24", or just not 30+" like most trap guns? My Beretta 20 gauge youth/bantam has a barrel of 22" or so, and it breaks clays at the trap range just fine. Albeit, not as easily as a 12 gauge, but it can get the job done.

Now, if the only thing you have is a home defense shotgun with an 18" barrel, I have a spare shotgun or four laying around. As it is right now, I will probably bring my Beretta 682 for myself, one 20 gauge Beretta 391 youth model, one 20 gauge BEretta 391 Teknys full size, one 12 gauge Beretta 391 Teknys, and one Beretta 3901. They should all go bang and break clays when swung properly and pointed in the right direction.

So, you don't have a shotgun issue unless for some unforeseen reason I cannot make it. Even then, I am pretty sure somebody there would be willing to let you borrow a shotgun for a round or two.

Only thing you are going to need is a get out of home pass. If nothing else, just stop by for a round or two, and not the entire afternoon.

That made me chuckle :lol:

Appreciate the offer. I'll see what I can do to make it. My wife doesn't work Friday night so she's certainly going to want to do something. How long does something like this run? I'm probably g2g if I get home by 3, which means leaving by 2.

fabsroman

Ultimate Member
    Mar 14, 2009
    That made me chuckle :lol:

Appreciate the offer. I'll see what I can do to make it. My wife doesn't work Friday night so she's certainly going to want to do something. How long does something like this run? I'm probably g2g if I get home by 3, which means leaving by 2.

Yeah, four was on the conservative side of the estimate. lol All the o/u shotguns will be staying home nice and cozy except for the 682 trap gun. I guess I could bring up a Benelli SBE too, but that thing does not like to eject light loads. Anything less than 1 1/8 oz. at 1,200 fps and it short strokes or stovepipes. Guess it wouldn't be too big of an issue unless somebody got crazy and wanted to shoot doubles.

Initially, I thought my wife had to work New Year's Day. So, I was planning on getting there at 11:30 and leaving at 2:00 since she had to be at work by 3:00. Turns out she has the day off. However, I cannot see me staying there for more than a couple of hours. Just too much stuff to get done.

To answer your question, you can come and go at your leisure at one of these events. I've been up at CCGC shooting with my brother, dad, Lou45, NYTransplant, Possumman, SNI, MegaArms, and others, and while we all got there around the same time, most left whenever they felt like it. When I am allowed out, I usually close down the trap range. lol

Shot last October with Mr. H, JoeR, and a couple other board members at PG Trap & Skeet. We all got there at about the same time, but my brother and I went and shot sporting clays after the others had left.

A round of trap takes about 10, maybe 15, minutes if you have a squad with a good pace/rhythm. So, shoot a round or two and head home if need be, or stick around to shoot the BS.

protegeV

Ready to go
    Apr 3, 2011
    TX
    Yeah, four was on the conservative side of the estimate. lol All the o/u shotguns will be staying home nice and cozy except for the 682 trap gun. I guess I could bring up a Benelli SBE too, but that thing does not like to eject light loads. Anything less than 1 1/8 oz. at 1,200 fps and it short strokes or stovepipes. Guess it wouldn't be too big of an issue unless somebody got crazy and wanted to shoot doubles.

Initially, I thought my wife had to work New Year's Day. So, I was planning on getting there at 11:30 and leaving at 2:00 since she had to be at work by 3:00. Turns out she has the day off. However, I cannot see me staying there for more than a couple of hours. Just too much stuff to get done.

To answer your question, you can come and go at your leisure at one of these events. I've been up at CCGC shooting with my brother, dad, Lou45, NYTransplant, Possumman, SNI, MegaArms, and others, and while we all got there around the same time, most left whenever they felt like it. When I am allowed out, I usually close down the trap range. lol

Shot last October with Mr. H, JoeR, and a couple other board members at PG Trap & Skeet. We all got there at about the same time, but my brother and I went and shot sporting clays after the others had left.

A round of trap takes about 10, maybe 15, minutes if you have a squad with a good pace/rhythm. So, shoot a round or two and head home if need be, or stick around to shoot the BS.
    lucky for you and many of the ones you mentioned, you have far less than an hour ride one way :D

I'll do what I can, I'll say 75% chance I'll be there. :D

I have never shot anything but slugs out of a shotgun. What's the right kind of ammo?

fabsroman

Ultimate Member
    Mar 14, 2009
    lucky for you and many of the ones you mentioned, you have far less than an hour ride one way :D

I'll do what I can, I'll say 75% chance I'll be there. :D

I have never shot anything but slugs out of a shotgun. What's the right kind of ammo?

That is one of the problems with living in the city. Plenty of places for me to shoot around here even when I can no longer go to AGC. lol PG Trap & Skeet is about 30 minutes away unless you have to attend a meeting there at 6:00 pm and contend with rush hour.

12 gauge - 1 1/8 oz of #8 shot at 1,090 fps or more. That is the load I use from the 16 yard line, which is where you will most likely be. You can also go with 1 oz loads. Just means less pellets in the loads.

#7.5 shot will work too. I only use that when I get to the 20 yard line or further back. Silver AA hulls are loaded at 1,145 fps and green RTS hulls are loaded at 1,200 fps. Then, there are the Nitros. lol

Seriously, anything in a 4 box pack at Walmart that is labeled for clays or doves/quail will be just fine.

protegeV

Ready to go
    Apr 3, 2011
    TX
    That is one of the problems with living in the city. Plenty of places for me to shoot around here even when I can no longer go to AGC. lol PG Trap & Skeet is about 30 minutes away unless you have to attend a meeting there at 6:00 pm and contend with rush hour.

12 gauge - 1 1/8 oz of #8 shot at 1,090 fps or more. That is the load I use from the 16 yard line, which is where you will most likely be. You can also go with 1 oz loads. Just means less pellets in the loads.

#7.5 shot will work too. I only use that when I get to the 20 yard line or further back. Silver AA hulls are loaded at 1,145 fps and green RTS hulls are loaded at 1,200 fps. Then, there are the Nitros. lol

Seriously, anything in a 4 box pack at Walmart that is labeled for clays or doves/quail will be just fine.

muchas gracias señor :bannana:

Keystone70

MSI Executive Member
    Apr 14, 2012
    HoCo
    The four packs at Walmart in Federal or Winchester are perfect and the best
    price.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

Mr H

Banana'd
    Yes...it worked out well last time. My family of new shooters benefitted greatly, especially the part about family NOT being the instructor/assistant (thanks MrH). We were even able to stand along side the newbs for safety reasons as well. It was a very comfortable and safe setting.

My pleasure...

She was a good student, and relaxed pretty quickly, once she realized the back end of the shotgun wasn't the enemy.:D

DC-W

Ultimate Member
    Patriot Picket
    Jan 23, 2013
    ️‍
    I'm definitely in.

Any suggestions on 20ga ammo? Improved or modified choke for my wingmaster?

DC-W

Ultimate Member
    Patriot Picket
    Jan 23, 2013
    ️‍
    I think that's what I have in there at the moment, so that saves me a couple of minutes :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    ObsidianCC

Latest threads

Top Bottom