• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • N00bSh00ter

Feb 6, 2014
    MoCo
    Hello All!

I'm Nate, and I just wanted to take the time to introduce myself.

I live in MoCo and have recently been looking at purchasing a handgun to defend my home. A few crimes close by have left me seriously considering the reality of what would happen if someone tried to rob us or worse if the police didn't rescue us in time. The reality is, we need to be able to defend ourselves.

My wife and I have both shot before and had a great time, and would love to be able to do it more often. We are signed up for the HQL class at Freestate next weekend, and I've been doing a lot of reading (especially on this forum) about how Maryland handles gun ownership. What a convoluted mess.

Anyway, just thought I'd finally sign up and contribute to the discussion. Hope to meet some people and find a range we can frequent that won't rip us off (yes, I'm talking about Gilbert!)

Tyzermah

Dec 21, 2012
    Hello Nate, welcome. I'm in MoCo (Aspen Hill area) and fairly new to guns myself. MDShooters is great for info - I've been lurking and learning here for a while.

My wife and I have been shooting at Gilberts for about a year and are ready to move on to something else as well. AGC looks great and there are lots of members on the boards. I'm interested in joining Monumental, but it looks like you really can't go wrong with any of the clubs.

Consider also a shotgun for HD. That's where we started and there are a lot of good reasons for it - plus it's cash and carry. Or, why not just own both? That's probably the most common sentiment here.

regards

Dave MP

Retired USA
    Jun 13, 2010
    Farmland, PA
    [FONT=&quot]Welcome from Dundalk!
    Take a look at these [/FONT][FONT=&quot][FONT=&quot]helpful[/FONT][/FONT][FONT=&quot] links – LOTS of [/FONT][FONT=&quot][FONT=&quot]amazing[/FONT][/FONT][FONT=&quot] info!

[/FONT][FONT=&quot][FONT=&quot]FORUM RULES[/FONT][/FONT][FONT=&quot]

[/FONT][FONT=&quot][FONT=&quot]Please consider donating to the legal defense fund to support the UNITED CHALLENGE OF THE MARYLAND FIREARMS BAN[/FONT][/FONT][FONT=&quot]

SB 281:
    [/FONT][FONT=&quot][FONT=&quot]A detailed summary for non-lawyers[/FONT][FONT=&quot]Legal Defense Thread[/FONT][/FONT][FONT=&quot]

[/FONT][FONT=&quot][FONT=&quot]Range Etiquette and Staying Safe[/FONT][/FONT][FONT=&quot]

[/FONT][FONT=&quot][FONT=&quot]Admin News and Announcements[/FONT][/FONT][FONT=&quot]

[/FONT][FONT=&quot][FONT=&quot]Gun Rights and Legislation[/FONT][/FONT][FONT=&quot]

[/FONT][FONT=&quot][FONT=&quot]Industry Partners[/FONT][/FONT][FONT=&quot]

[/FONT][FONT=&quot][FONT=&quot]Maryland Ranges[/FONT][/FONT][FONT=&quot]

[/FONT][FONT=&quot][FONT=&quot]Acronym list[/FONT][/FONT][FONT=&quot]
    [/FONT]

swinokur

In a State of Bliss
    Patriot Picket
    Apr 15, 2009
    Westminster USA

Attachments

• MSI welcome msg.jpg
      MSI welcome msg.jpg
      38.3 KB · Views: 524

N00bSh00ter

Feb 6, 2014
    MoCo
    Wow, thanks so much for all the welcome messages, folks!

Really looking forward to getting to know some of you. I'm not looking for multiple guns just yet-- just want to master the basics, first. Looking at a Ruger SR22 to start, and build from there if I feel like I want to. Looking at keeping things cheap for now. Would love to meet more Maryland Shooters as time goes on!

mopar92

Official MDS Court Jester
    May 5, 2011
    Taneytown
    Glock 19 with an Advantage Arms 22 conversion kit. .22 for practice 9mm for serious use. Come meet a whole bunch of us Feb. 26 and March 4th in Annapolis and fight for our God-given rights. We can always use the help.

Biggfoot44

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2009
    Welcome.
    And you can also meet some of us in a less crowded setting 2/14 in Annapolis.

And I hear you 1000% with working on mastering pistol skills with a .22lr . That is what I always recomend with only one caveat .

But I also see that you specifical have a concern with home defense. There is indeed merit to making an initial aquisition of a shotgun. We can all understand finiacial realities , and not having too much initial outlay. But used, and very servicable pump shotgun are available from under $200, and can be purchased right away. Then continue the process for you HQL(s) , then select your prefered .22lr handgun , and get some training and practice. Once you are on top of that , you will have ideas as to what you would like in a defensive cal handgun.

N00bSh00ter

Feb 6, 2014
    MoCo
    Thanks so much for all the info, guys! I absolutely understand the recommendation about buying a shotgun to complement a handgun, but as new owners, we're both more comfortable with the thought of owning something small, at least for now. We've accepted the fact that we're going to have to wait a bit for the handgun process. I'm looking forward to meeting some of you in person one of these days!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Nelsonbencasey

Latest threads

Top Bottom