• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • XJscott

Mar 8, 2012
    Baltimore
    hey everyone my name is scott and i am from baltimore, i own jeeps hence the name xjscott, i love camping, backpacking, and anything outdoors. I have always wanted to get more into guns and shooting plus next summer i am planning to join the ARMY!! So i thought getting an AR-15 would be perfect platform for me to learn on and familiarize myself with a military style rifle. I have shot many guns before ranging from a .22 rifle to a 50 caliber black powder rifle, a variety of handguns, and shotguns.
    I am looking for an AR around $700 i would like to get a fully assembled rifle since im new and dont want to jump right in and build one. Im also looking for one with a chamber suitable for 5.56 nato rounds and a 16" barrel.
    I have been lurking on this site for the past few days looking mainly at laws which im a little confused by. I realize since i am 18 im limited to an HBAR. Some questions i have are why exactly cant i get a light barrel model but i can a heavier one, and when i turn 21 can i switch the upper for a lighter barrel? what should i look for in an AR-15? i hear i should look for forward assist and 4150 steel with chrome lining. Does anyone know of any reputable shops around the baltimore area that would be good to help me out in choosing a reasonably priced rifle? I am trying to stay away from kits and ordering one online.
    If anyone has anything to add about marylands regulations on these riffles or just any other tips and advice please let me know.

Dave MP

Retired USA
    Jun 13, 2010
    Farmland, PA
    [FONT=&quot]Welcome from Dundalk!
    Take a look at these [/FONT][FONT=&quot]helpful[/FONT][FONT=&quot] links – LOTS of [/FONT][FONT=&quot]amazing[/FONT][FONT=&quot] info![/FONT]

[FONT=&quot][/FONT]
    [FONT=&quot]Head over here and INTRODUCE yourself.[/FONT]
    [FONT=&quot] [/FONT]
    [FONT=&quot]FORUM RULES[/FONT][FONT=&quot]

[/FONT][FONT=&quot]HOW to APPLY for a MARYLAND Carry Permit[/FONT][FONT=&quot][/FONT]

[FONT=&quot][FONT=&quot]Range Etiquette and Staying Safe[/FONT][/FONT][FONT=&quot]

[/FONT][FONT=&quot][FONT=&quot]Admin News and Announcements[/FONT][/FONT][FONT=&quot]

[/FONT][FONT=&quot][FONT=&quot]Gun Rights and Legislation[/FONT][/FONT][FONT=&quot]

[/FONT][FONT=&quot][FONT=&quot]Industry Partners[/FONT][/FONT][FONT=&quot]

[/FONT][FONT=&quot][FONT=&quot]Maryland Ranges[/FONT][/FONT][FONT=&quot]

[/FONT][FONT=&quot][FONT=&quot]MDS Logo Gear[/FONT][/FONT]
    [FONT=&quot]
    [/FONT]

XJscott

Mar 8, 2012
    Baltimore
    im a member on all sorts of jeepforums i should have known better ha. i enjoyed the hitler video not so much the horse one lol.

vin

Ultimate Member
    Mar 19, 2009
    Bowie, MD
    Best way to jump in and cheapest way is to build one.
    My first was a build.
    It's easy and fun

MW

I totally agree.

BUT,

He said he's 18. Therefore can't go buy just a lower.

Welcome to the forum! I don't know who's making a good HBAR, and colts are certainly more than $700, someone else will have a better idea.

Edit: if you're shopping around Baltimore, there's a number of good shops (IP's here) that can definitely help you out. I've been to Gun connection and 2a sales and supplies, both are excellent. "the gun shop" is also an ip and well thought of. Good luck!

XJscott

Mar 8, 2012
    Baltimore
    I totally agree.

BUT,

He said he's 18. Therefore can't go buy just a lower.

Welcome to the forum! I don't know who's making a good HBAR, and colts are certainly more than $700, someone else will have a better idea.

Edit: if you're shopping around Baltimore, there's a number of good shops (IP's here) that can definitely help you out. I've been to Gun connection and 2a sales and supplies, both are excellent. "the gun shop" is also an ip and well thought of. Good luck!

didnt realize i couldnt just buy a lower. is that because they wont know if i put a heavy barrel on it or not? if thats the case could i my dad buy the lower and i buy the upper and take it to ffl or whatever and get it approved and under my name? im not sure how that works exactly and right now im looking at a lower from RRA and a heavy barrel upper from Del-Ton.

vin

Ultimate Member
    Mar 19, 2009
    Bowie, MD
    didnt realize i couldnt just buy a lower. is that because they wont know if i put a heavy barrel on it or not? if thats the case could i my dad buy the lower and i buy the upper and take it to ffl or whatever and get it approved and under my name? im not sure how that works exactly and right now im looking at a lower from RRA and a heavy barrel upper from Del-Ton.

That's exactly why. It's a really dumb law, ya know how an extra pound or two of weight makes a rifle 'not evil'

I don't think it can legally be transferred to you that way, a lower (regulated) is treated much the same way as a handgun. The way I understand it is that it has to come that way, and be stamped "HBAR" on the lower itself. And I doubt it's ok to put a standard weight upper on an HBAR lower, even if you're 21, unless you have the regulated firearm paperwork done on it.

The legalities of AR's in Maryland is a convoluted mess, because if you want one, you *must* be a criminal, good people don't need "assault rifles". There's lots of discussion on it on this site, search it up, be prepared to sit and read for a long time.

LoneRanger

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Dec 22, 2009
    Go to Shooter's Discount and buy a used mini 14....well within your budget...and non-regulated.......

Kais

Mar 20, 2011
    Halethorpe
    Go to Shooter's Discount and buy a used mini 14....well within your budget...and non-regulated.......

This, or don't get anything yet. I know when I was at boot camp most of the shooters in my platoon caught some flak for having bad habits they developed from shooting prior to coming to boot camp.

gmhowell

Not Banned Yet
    Nov 28, 2011
    Monkey County

Saw a couple there today. Furniture needed some TLC, but damn if they didn't want to go home with me (wallet said no).

Somewhat related topic: what tools, jigs, fixtures, etc. are necessary to do an AR build? Is there a good basic (preferably non-video) guide to how to do it?

LoneRanger

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Dec 22, 2009
    Saw a couple there today. Furniture needed some TLC, but damn if they didn't want to go home with me (wallet said no).

Somewhat related topic: what tools, jigs, fixtures, etc. are necessary to do an AR build? Is there a good basic (preferably non-video) guide to how to do it?

Do a YouTube search or go to ar15.com. Lots of info on how to do it.

I have not yet put together an ar upper but both myself and my son have put together ar lowers with basic hand tools.....it's a good learning experience.

stricer555

Ultimate Member
    May 2, 2011
    Jessup
    Bought my Hbar ar at 2a sales in jessup when I was 19. Its a Windham Weaponry HBC and was about 800ish dollars, never had a problem with it and it has a lifetime warranty if I ever do.

Demoneyes86

Ultimate Member
    Mar 4, 2011
    Baltimore
    Do a YouTube search or go to ar15.com. Lots of info on how to do it.

I have not yet put together an ar upper but both myself and my son have put together ar lowers with basic hand tools.....it's a good learning experience.

Yes ar15.com has a full how to build tutorial i will post a link later. Have it saved on my laptop just incase you cant find it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    loops12

Latest threads

Top Bottom