• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • FireAtWill

Whiskey Tango Foxtrot
    Sep 12, 2013
    Frederick
    I've been spending a bunch of time on here enjoying all the comments, opinions and great info. Finally decided to come out of hiding. Will update my profile soon.

Have been an avid shooter for 46 years, ever since a single shot, bolt action .22 got me addicted at Church camp in 3rd grade. My sons and I are primarily focused on hunting, but also on shooting a little bit of everything...various handguns (Colt, Sig, FN, Beretta, H&R, Ruger), AR, SKS, 10/22, etc. We have a few old collectibles that are mostly safe queens, but only because they're family heirlooms. In general, I don't buy anything that I don't plan to shoot.

I've enjoyed living in a few gun-friendly States over the years and am still trying to come to terms with Maryland. It frankly makes me crazy, but it's home at the moment. I've had very mixed results with area gun shops but have settled on a couple I like. In general, the whole gun culture in Maryland is very different from anywhere else I've lived.

Thanks for the great website...I'll visit often. Keep the Faith.

swinokur

In a State of Bliss
    Patriot Picket
    Apr 15, 2009
    Westminster USA
    [FONT=&quot]
    o.aspx
    click.asp
    [/FONT]Howdy. Join the fight.

www.marylandshallissue.org

[FONT=&quot]
    [/FONT]​

[FONT=&quot][/FONT]​

Attachments

• MSI welcome msg.jpg
      MSI welcome msg.jpg
      38.3 KB · Views: 187

DanGuy48

Ultimate Member
    Welcome fellow Fredneckian! Could you say a bit more about how the gun culture is different in Maryland compared to other places you've been? I'd expect the pro-gun people here are a bit more "engaged" ... We have to be. But I'm curious what other differences you see.

I'm in New Market, very close to Frederick.

TTMD

Ultimate Member
    Nov 10, 2012
    Welcome from yet another Frederick resident. Anyplace in the area you go shooting &/or hunting?

FireAtWill

Whiskey Tango Foxtrot
    Sep 12, 2013
    Frederick
    Welcome fellow Fredneckian! Could you say a bit more about how the gun culture is different in Maryland compared to other places you've been? I'd expect the pro-gun people here are a bit more "engaged" ... We have to be. But I'm curious what other differences you see.

Thanks Dan. The biggest difference is that everyone is obsessed with dealing with the State's gun laws here - understandably so. Everywhere else, we generally just focused on shooting, collecting, hunting...just enjoying our guns. The laws enabled our gun hobby and activities; we weren't constantly talking about gun laws, we were just shooting. Yes, the pro-gun groups here are also more engaged...yes, probably because they (we) have to be. In Shall Issue states, there's no time wasted talking about CWPs and how much of a PITA they are to obtain...you just go get yours and carry on (no pun intended). In a nutshell, I never lived anywhere where we spent so much time being obsessed with gun laws and fighting against the State's position. We just bought guns and went shooting...no stress.

FireAtWill

Whiskey Tango Foxtrot
    Sep 12, 2013
    Frederick
    Welcome from yet another Frederick resident. Anyplace in the area you go shooting &/or hunting?

We usually end up at Cresap because we shoot a little of everything and I don't have - or know anyone - with enough land to shoot on. I was very spoiled in New Mexico...just drive the Jeep out into the desert (10 minutes away) and start shooting. Paper targets largely bore me to tears after 50 rounds, but it beats not shooting at all.

We've hunted white tail and squirrels on the public land on the mountain west of Frederick, and we were in on a lease up in Thurmont for a couple years. Now we mostly hunt on friends' farms in Virginia and in Montgomery County, MD. We got 4 deer last year...enough to fill the freezer and give one to a friend.

I'm always looking for places to shoot and/or hunt...any suggestions?

DanGuy48

Ultimate Member
    Places to shoot

Off Linganore Road in Frederick are one public, one private and a police range. Cresap is the one public range but due to a shortage of people to man it, its hours are pretty limited. It's run tight, no messing around and is worth a visit some Sunday. Right next to it is the private range for the Monocacy Pistol Club. If you only shoot pistol, that's nice.

For (sorta) long range, there's 340 Defense. It's a ways out Rt. 340 of course and you can get precise directions off their website.

Finally there's the Associated Gun Clubs of Baltimore, out Marriottsville road way. You can look them up on their website...they're a pretty big organization. The Machine Gun Nest is looking for start up funding to open Frederick's first indoor range but I'm not sure how well that is going.

engineerbrian

JMB fan club
    Sep 3, 2010
    Fredneck

Damn, add another New Market resident to the list. New Market here too :thumbsup:

DaemonAssassin

Why should we Free BSD?
    Jun 14, 2012
    Political refugee in WV
    We usually end up at Cresap because we shoot a little of everything and I don't have - or know anyone - with enough land to shoot on. I was very spoiled in New Mexico...just drive the Jeep out into the desert (10 minutes away) and start shooting. Paper targets largely bore me to tears after 50 rounds, but it beats not shooting at all.

We've hunted white tail and squirrels on the public land on the mountain west of Frederick, and we were in on a lease up in Thurmont for a couple years. Now we mostly hunt on friends' farms in Virginia and in Montgomery County, MD. We got 4 deer last year...enough to fill the freezer and give one to a friend.

I'm always looking for places to shoot and/or hunt...any suggestions?

I usually go and do the private property thing with some friends, or shoot on property that I own. The easiest thing in your situation is to join a club or get to know some members on the forum and wait till they invite you out to their personal range (usually the backyard, unless it is Turtle Gunners).

If you want to work on keeping your skills up, try airsoft in the backyard. Pellets are cheap and never in short supply, also you can set up a range just about anywhere.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Markmcgrrr

Latest threads

Top Bottom