• Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • N

NeesyTip

Hello there. I have been considering getting a gun. I want to go about this the right way though. I have only shot a gun twice so I have very little experience with guns. I live in Myersville, MD and was wondering if there was anywhere local I could go for training. Thanks for any and all help

NeesyTip

Dave MP

Retired USA
    Jun 13, 2010
    Farmland, PA
    [FONT=&quot]Welcome from Dundalk!
    Take a look at these [/FONT][FONT=&quot]helpful[/FONT][FONT=&quot] links – LOTS of [/FONT][FONT=&quot]amazing[/FONT][FONT=&quot] info![/FONT]
    [FONT=&quot] [/FONT]
    [FONT=&quot]FORUM RULES[/FONT][FONT=&quot]

[/FONT][FONT=&quot]HOW to APPLY for a MARYLAND Carry Permit[/FONT][FONT=&quot][/FONT]

[FONT=&quot][FONT=&quot]Range Etiquette and Staying Safe[/FONT][/FONT][FONT=&quot]

[/FONT][FONT=&quot][FONT=&quot]Admin News and Announcements[/FONT][/FONT][FONT=&quot]

[/FONT][FONT=&quot][FONT=&quot]Gun Rights and Legislation[/FONT][/FONT][FONT=&quot]

[/FONT][FONT=&quot][FONT=&quot]Industry Partners[/FONT][/FONT][FONT=&quot]

[/FONT][FONT=&quot][FONT=&quot]Maryland Ranges[/FONT][/FONT][FONT=&quot]

[/FONT][FONT=&quot][FONT=&quot]MDS Logo Gear[/FONT][/FONT]

Seagrave1963

Still learnin'
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 6, 2011
    Eastern Shore
    Welcome from the Eastern Shore! There will be some folks along shortly who can give you some very good direction on first time purchase as well as a great deal of info already in the forum. I have found many answers to my own questions using the "search" feature in the upper right border.

BTW - think about getting involved in MSI (Maryland Shall Issue) and other organizations that work on keeping our right to own firearms.

hvymax

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Apr 19, 2010
    Dentsville District 28
    The Hunter Safety course is a great comprehensive safety program that is inexpensive and gives a state issued credential authorizing acess to loaded firearms.(especially important for the kids in the house) Many ranges rent guns so you can try before you buy and they will usually brief you on the aafe operation of anything you use on their range. Once you choose you can decide what training you want to pursue wether defensive or recreational.

N

NeesyTip

Thanks. I don't want a gun until I know exactly how to use one. The last time I was at a shooting range I managed to jam the gun up.

K31

"Part of that Ultra MAGA Crowd"
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 15, 2006
    AA county
    Check in the Industry Partner section for training.

Good for you for going about things the right way.

Mdeng

Ultimate Member
    Industry Partner
    Nov 13, 2009
    Virginia
    Contact Ben Kelky at the Frederick IWLA he is a great instructor and lives in Myersville.

Infantry23

Ultimate Member
    Dec 9, 2012
    Hagerstown
    Welcome! I live in Hagerstown and you're more than welcome to come to the range with me anytime and try out a few firearms to see what you might like. I'm not an instructor but I can teach you basic gun safety and get you started on the ins and outs until you find an instructor.

N

NeesyTip

Thanks so much everyone! Do you have suggestions on a good gun for a woman? The last gun I shot was a glock I think and it really hurt my hands to shoot it. I don't care what it looks like. Something small and easy to handle.

Dock-Hunter

Dec 8, 2012
    Thanks so much everyone! Do you have suggestions on a good gun for a woman? The last gun I shot was a glock I think and it really hurt my hands to shoot it. I don't care what it looks like. Something small and easy to handle.

Find a nearby Range, many of them will Rent handguns, anything in .22 will be easy and friendly to shoot! Try a couple different ones out, they are fun to shoot and the least expensive option if you really get into it!

.22 is the way to go if you are just looking for target shooting, defense and other things you are looking at something bigger, I can't help with those, but many members are happy to help, just ask!

swinokur

In a State of Bliss
    Patriot Picket
    Apr 15, 2009
    Westminster USA
    Howdy.

www.marylandshallissue.org

K31

"Part of that Ultra MAGA Crowd"
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 15, 2006
    AA county

It's a good idea to try as many as you can as suggested.

If you want a handgun for self defense however you are probably going to want something larger than a .22 .

Don't assume a smaller firearm is going to be easier to control or less comfortable to shoot.

Markp

Ultimate Member
    Dec 22, 2008
    If you need a gun and can find someone experienced here to help you out, that would be the best answer.

If you can't...

Do the following, do it now, don't wait. You can worry about training after they pass all the laws.

If you want a handgun, go buy one of the following:

Glock 17, 19, 34 (or any other 9mm Glock that fits your personal taste)
    Springfield XD or XDm Series in 9mm (tactical, service, compact, sub-compact, etc)

Basically you want an excellent 9mm defensive handgun in any length that you feel most comfortable with. You decide what length and how easy conceal you need.

Then buy at least 10 magazines (both standard and compact in the cases of the smaller pistols.)

The only exception to this basic advice is that you should make sure that the gun fits your hand comfortably and settles into your grip naturally (and for anyone else who might regularly use it).

If it doesn't fit your hand well, don't buy it. If your hand is too small, look at single stack guns, these will give you easier concealment, but less ammunition per magazine. There are a lot of good choices, but you can't go wrong with a single stack 1911 in 9mm or 45.

That's my advice.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    ObsidianCC

Latest threads

Top Bottom