• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Forest

The AR guy
    Jul 13, 2011
    i dont believe so...i think they make 37mm launchers/flares. but 40mm's are regulated beyond belief.

You can buy flares, starburts, and "pumpkin rounds' (orange chalk practice rounds) no problem for the US 40mm launcher.

The only 'regulation' is that it's a NFA device (meaning you need a tax stamp). No real difference than other NFA item.

Nemesis

Russian Grizzly Adams
    Oct 3, 2009
    Martinsburg, WV
    Need? No, but some prefer it.

I personally like the magwell hold, but others prefer their hand much further out for better accuracy.

Here is a reason why I have a bottom rail:
    Chiswith6_8VicandJeep.jpg

Bipod for the win!

I just wish there were companies that made a quality free-float system that allowed you to place the rails where you want a few years back when I was building my precision rig. Back then there were 2 choices - the YHM (which was mediocre at best) and the carbon fiber model from PRI.

i have a bipod also, but without rails ;) lol

im not knocking all the rails, just personally dont see the point of them nor do i like them lol...there really is no draw back from having them anyway...other than maybe needing to buy rail covers which are horribly expensive for what they are...

between all my firearms only one has any rail space, and that is the SGL 21, and at that the aimpoint C3 completely occupies that rail space lol

Forest

The AR guy
    Jul 13, 2011
    Yeah the rail covers are WAY overpriced. As you can see I only use the rails near the end of the tube (where the ladder covers are), the rest are covered with the more comfortable XTs. Like I said if they had decent configurable tubes when I built her I would have used them.

BTW the bipod has a nice quick release mount (press a button and it slides off), much quicker and easier than the standard 'twist the screw' stud mount.

Nemesis

Russian Grizzly Adams
    Oct 3, 2009
    Martinsburg, WV
    that is pretty sweet, being able to quickly release it. doesnt really bother me on the SGL though, the bipod flows with the rifle perfectly so its never really bulky or in the way, and when standing i also use the left leg as a vertical grip so theres never a reason i could think of to take it off lol

randyho

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 21, 2009
    Not His Happy Place
    Seems to be these guys: TSD Combat Systems

The company seems to be owned or at lease affiliated with Suarez.

Understood. But, I know they've farmed out their glock slide and bag production (have one of the latter and it is well-done). It seems unlikely that they would do the AK builds in-house. I'd think you'd need some experienced AK monkeys to crank out any sort of volume. And this doesn't sound like a Rifle Dynamics partnership. Gabe's definitely moving out in several directions, which is interesting to watch from a small business development perspective. If he can nail down a reliable 308 magazine design, I'd be more interested in that platform.

The AK production.... It's .... curiousy. :cool:

04RWon

Ultimate Member
    Feb 13, 2010
    Orlando, FL
    SEX SELLS:

34rhcib.jpg

We have proven an AK and AR can coexist in the same room. Even for longer periods of time, left unattended. At first the AK did try to attack the AR, and the AR did try for revenge, however they must have worked out their differences and no coexist perfectly. 2 of the 4 rifles were nice enough to pose for this pic.

Sorry Justin, didnt know where else to put it haha

Nemesis

Russian Grizzly Adams
    Oct 3, 2009
    Martinsburg, WV
    :D

Just having some fun, it's interesting to see they are offering a 20" version.

yea, i dont get it really. a 20" x39 is pointless, you're gaining almost no bonus velocity...so its doing nothing but hurting accuracy, weight, and length lol

SEX SELLS:

34rhcib.jpg

We have proven an AK and AR can coexist in the same room. Even for longer periods of time, left unattended. At first the AK did try to attack the AR, and the AR did try for revenge, however they must have worked out their differences and no coexist perfectly. 2 of the 4 rifles were nice enough to pose for this pic.

Sorry Justin, didnt know where else to put it haha

its a good place for it to be lol.

they look so pretty together :D

Forest

The AR guy
    Jul 13, 2011
    yea, i dont get it really. a 20" x39 is pointless, you're gaining almost no bonus velocity...so its doing nothing but hurting accuracy, weight, and length lol

I can think of a couple of reasons.

1) You make the round a legitimate 500M round at sea level. (it's staying supersonic at that point). So you've extended theortical range by another 100M or so.

2) It improves the range some bullets will expand. Probably more for the hunters, but there are guys on AR15.com that handload for the 7.62x39 and use powders to take advantage of the 20" barrel.

Besides isn't variety the spice of life? ;)

Nemesis

Russian Grizzly Adams
    Oct 3, 2009
    Martinsburg, WV
    I can think of a couple of reasons.

1) You make the round a legitimate 500M round at sea level. (it's staying supersonic at that point). So you've extended theortical range by another 100M or so.

2) It improves the range some bullets will expand. Probably more for the hunters, but there are guys on AR15.com that handload for the 7.62x39 and use powders to take advantage of the 20" barrel.

Besides isn't variety the spice of life?
    ;)

so much is true, but factory loads are only going to gain about 100 FPS or so...but a plus is a plus, i suppose lol.

now, handloads yes, i can see a major advantage there...what kinda velocities do they get? im going to assume around 2600-2700 w/ 123 Grs?

Forest

The AR guy
    Jul 13, 2011
    now, handloads yes, i can see a major advantage there...what kinda velocities do they get? im going to assume around 2600-2700 w/ 123 Grs?

We have a guy on AR15.com that is a big 7.62x39 fan for the AR, here are some of his loads

125gr Nosler B-Tip @ 2430fps

170gr Sierra FP @ 2020 fps (he was trying to replicate a .30-30 hunting load)

110gr Hornady V-Max @ 2800fps (though this was from his 26" rifle - not the 20").

Nemesis

Russian Grizzly Adams
    Oct 3, 2009
    Martinsburg, WV
    interesting...damn @ the 2800 fps, even though that is from a massive 26" barrel lol

just an update:

the S223 is now painted her final color...however i dont want to say what color it is...pictures will be posted in 5-6 days when it is all back together. i will let you all guess though...here is the hint: Navy

Nemesis

Russian Grizzly Adams
    Oct 3, 2009
    Martinsburg, WV
    s223x3.jpg

whats on the plans to do:

i will be repainting it this same color ( this paint got a little F'd) and then i am going to do a fishnet overlay spray with black. also to come, the MIAD will be replaced with a MOE+

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Nelsonbencasey

Latest threads

Top Bottom