• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Boxcab

MSI EM
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 22, 2007
    AA County
    A 5 gallon bucket, filled with sand, with the lid on, makes a good friend to have beside your safe. All can be had for under $10 at HD or Lowes. Put an X in thei middle of the lid as an aim point. The lid keeps it dry, clean and secure.

I don't like pulling the trigger on an empty gun, but it seems to be needed every now and then. Same for dropping the slide and decocking.

Don't just say to point in a safe direction... have a safe direction.

Sent from my SM-G781U using Tapatalk

Brickman301

Ultimate Member
    Mar 23, 2015
    FREDERICK, MD
    I like this idea, and I’ve been thinking of making a “sand trap” myself. This thread might just finally make me do it.
    To the OP I’m glad everyone was ok

Biggfoot44

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2009
    " Professional Grade " clearing barells are 40 gal drum filled with sand , and the " angled opening " to which place the muzzle heavy steel .

Melnic

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 27, 2012
    HoCo
    At the HoCo gun show today, woman working a booth had her finger inside the trigger guard as she was pulling back the slide. It was pointed away and I could see the chamber was empty and magazine was empty but nonetheless, did not stick around that table for very long.
    Glad you are ok, lesson learned for the guy I hope.

platekiller

Ultimate Member
    Jun 7, 2011
    Martinsburg, WV
    A 5 gallon bucket, filled with sand, with the lid on, makes a good friend to have beside your safe. All can be had for under $10 at HD or Lowes. Put an X in thei middle of the lid as an aim point. The lid keeps it dry, clean and secure.

I don't like pulling the trigger on an empty gun, but it seems to be needed every now and then. Same for dropping the slide and decocking.

Don't just say to point in a safe direction... have a safe direction.

Sent from my SM-G781U using Tapatalk
    I like that idea. I keep a Kevlar groin protector from a vest for a loading area

[Kev308]

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 23, 2020
    Maryland
    Good point.

I have not observed the second level subfloor but I have seen the 1st level (From the basement) and there is a .5”X 6” wide T&G laid at a diagonal over 2”X8” wood beams.

So yeah. There was a shitload of wood for that .380 to go thru.

BTW it did expand. I could not back it out of the rather clean hole it made. (I was so rattled it took a while to find)

”Why are you opening all the windows up there?”

“Oh, ah, it’s kinda stuffy. Needs fresh air!” :innocent0
    ohhhhh the smell of gunpowder and nervous farts. haha

Michigander08

ridiculous and psychotic
    MDS Supporter
    May 29, 2017
    1. Finger off trigger.
    2. Remove magazine
    3. Point pistol in safe direction
    4. Rack the slide multiple times.
    5. Look into chamber or put pinky tip to feel that chamber is empty if eyes are bad.

How on earth did he miss? He failed badly.

"He cleared the gun and as he did my brain registered a round entering the chamber" HOW if he followed step 1-5 above.

remrug

Ultimate Member
    Mar 13, 2009
    manchester md
    Not a proud moment, but this happened to me. I had a ND with a muzzleloader that was alcohol related but I was sober when it happened. HUH??? It took me 2 years to figure out how this happened BTW

I had a system that I used with my muzzleloader. If I still had a load in it when I got home,I would leave it in the garage. If I had shot it,it came in the house with me.

I went thru a divorce 20 years ago and spent the next two years hitting the bar and beer really hard.Last day of late ML season, I went hunting (maybe hung over but I was sober) and didnt shoot ,so I put it in the garage. A few months later ,I came home late from the bar and went in the garage for a reason I cant remember. I see the rifle and think thats its been out here long enough and I should put it away . So I broke my rule and brought the ML in the house with a load still in it

Fast forward to the next Oct ,I take the rifle to the garage to burn a cap and load the rifle for the early ML season. I will never forget the shock and bewilderment of WTF just happened?
    Next thought was ,where did it go? I had it pointed down,which I always do when burning a cap. The bullet hit the cement floor, ricocheted upwards going through a cooler,then hit the block wall about head high. There are windows on that wall,I could have killed someone. I make no excuses and only blame myself. Thank God the only thing that got hurt is my pride

Threeband

The M1 Does My Talking
    Dec 30, 2006
    Carroll County
    1. Finger off trigger.
    2. Remove magazine
    3. Point pistol in safe direction
    4. Rack the slide multiple times.
    5. Look into chamber or put pinky tip to feel that chamber is empty if eyes are bad...

"He cleared the gun and as he did my brain registered a round entering the chamber" HOW if he followed step 1-5 above.

I think he did number 4 before number 2.

willtill

The Dude Abides
    MDS Supporter
    May 15, 2007
    Not a proud moment, but this happened to me. I had a ND with a muzzleloader that was alcohol related but I was sober when it happened. HUH??? It took me 2 years to figure out how this happened BTW

I had a system that I used with my muzzleloader. If I still had a load in it when I got home,I would leave it in the garage. If I had shot it,it came in the house with me.

I went thru a divorce 20 years ago and spent the next two years hitting the bar and beer really hard.Last day of late ML season, I went hunting (maybe hung over but I was sober) and didnt shoot ,so I put it in the garage. A few months later ,I came home late from the bar and went in the garage for a reason I cant remember. I see the rifle and think thats its been out here long enough and I should put it away . So I broke my rule and brought the ML in the house with a load still in it

Fast forward to the next Oct ,I take the rifle to the garage to burn a cap and load the rifle for the early ML season. I will never forget the shock and bewilderment of WTF just happened?
    Next thought was ,where did it go? I had it pointed down,which I always do when burning a cap. The bullet hit the cement floor, ricocheted upwards going through a cooler,then hit the block wall about head high. There are windows on that wall,I could have killed someone. I make no excuses and only blame myself. Thank God the only thing that got hurt is my pride
    I just went and checked my TC Omega, just because of your post. I haven't shot a deer with it for a long while, but I couldn't remember if I had cleared it from last time I went out. Her breech is empty and clear.

ezracer

Certified Gun Nut
    Jul 27, 2012
    Behind enemy lines...
    Booze and Boolits. Not good.

For YEARS I've been using a bullet clearing trap made by 'Range Systems'. Essentially it's a bench top trap able to contain up to a .44 Magnum. Not as cheap as a sand bucket but way easier to tote around. For me, the price is worth it. When I bought it many years ago it was $129..... now $195 but
    still worth it imo.

SkiPatrolDude

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Oct 24, 2017
    Timonium-Lutherville
    Tough lesson, but glad no one was hurt.

I make a point to rack the slide multiple times when I pickup a presumably unloaded firearm, even if I handled it mere minutes ago. In theory it would eject a live round (and potentially load another), providing a pretty strong visual cue that you almost goofed big time!

I have been asked numerous times when friends are over drinking to show them my guns, to which I tell them "another time". It's one of those "just say no" things.

lazarus

Ultimate Member
    Jun 23, 2015
    I get the humorous reference , but there's a big difference.

OP's Nephew still followed the safety rule of having pointed in safe-ish direction .

Three overlapping safety rules here , following any one of them could , and did prevent injury .

Ammo in gun
    Pull trigger
    Muzzle in safe direction

Certain parts of the action shooting world ingrain. " ..... And pull trigger to show safe " . This habit can and does carry over to gun handling in general .

The other approach common in LE - ish universe ( and methods evolved from that linage) is " ..... Lock back slide/ open cylinder , check gun , and show safe gun to RO " . Teaches shooter to double check own gun , and reduces autopilot ADs .
    I mean, could and did prevent serious injury or death.

Probably knocked a good percentage of their hearing out permanently. That kind of discharge is going to do real hearing damage, even if it isn't necessarily noticeable from a single round.

RRomig

Ultimate Member
    Industry Partner
    MDS Supporter
    Aug 30, 2021
    Burtonsville MD
    I have been asked numerous times when friends are over drinking to show them my guns, to which I tell them "another time". It's one of those "just say no" things.

I have numerous people over often from 8 to 80 that are into guns and none of them have ever asked to see my collection. Apparently I need to work on my people skills.

SkiPatrolDude

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Oct 24, 2017
    Timonium-Lutherville
    I have numerous people over often from 8 to 80 that are into guns and none of them have ever asked to see my collection. Apparently I need to work on my people skills.
    The people that ask me aren't my friends that are into guns like me. It's the ones that may not have any, or just a few, and they know I have a pretty extensive collection.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Mikeymike88

Latest threads

Top Bottom