• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • FrankZ

Liberty = Responsibility
    MDS Supporter
    Oct 25, 2012
    I was visiting family in GA the last week. While there my nephew was showing off some stuff he had in the safe. At one point he had his M&P .40 out to show. He cleared the gun and as he did my brain registered a round entering the chamber. Before I had a chance to say anything he pulled the trigger (he seems to do this after clearing). Standing looking into the ejection port I am surprised I was not hit in the face with the brass, but the sound was incredibly loud. People upstairs thought something had fallen in the basement.

Thankfully no one was hurt. The metal flamingo didn't fare well though.

We had a good discussion about this afterwards, when I could hear something again.

Slow down. He was excited about the toys and was going too fast.
    Don't drink and handle guns. He had had a beer and a whiskey and he admitted that he didn't have clarity of thought.
    He believed he had removed the magazine. I have made it a habit of looking at the magazine and confirming the ammo I have loaded. It forces the thought process.
    Don't pull the trigger unless you really need to. I am not sure why he feels the need to pull the trigger before storage, but has become part of the habit.

He is still mortified by the incident, and I can't say I blame him.

Kman

Blah, blah, blah
    Dec 23, 2010
    Eastern shore
    Yikes! Glad everyone is intact, except for rhe bird.
    I think the review was great and the fact that he's kicking himself for the eff up most likely means no repeat.

teratos

My hair is amazing
    MDS Supporter
    Patriot Picket
    Jan 22, 2009
    Bel Air
    I thought this post would start:

The wife was feeling frisky…

Glad everyone is ok!

RFBfromDE

W&C MD, UT, PA
    MDS Supporter
    Aug 21, 2022
    The Land of Pleasant Living
    “I could have sworn the chamber was empty, because I checked.” :shrug:

I didn’t realize the mag was loaded. Actually put one IN the chamber. :facepalm:

Fortunately, had muzzle in a safe direction and 94 year old 1” thick oak floors stopped the .380 without penetrating the ceiling.

“What was that?”

”I dropped something” :innocent0

Minwax wood filler is my friend.

No alcohol was involved. Just dumbassery.

eruby

Confederate Jew
    MDS Supporter
    .... He cleared the gun and as he did my brain registered a round entering the chamber ....
    ???

Site? Sound?

Not attacking you, just curious

Glad no one was hurt

In Pace Requiescat flamingo

This.
    I love guns and like alcohol. I never mix the two.

Another MDS member and I are going right to hell, as last month, after picking up our PA permits in Gettysburg, we supped at Garyowen restaurant and along with many victuals, we had, THE HORROR, a beer

To this day, I don't know how there weren't multiple fatalities

I thought this post would start:

The wife was feeling frisky…

Glad everyone is ok!

Wouldn't that be a premature discharge?

FrankZ

Liberty = Responsibility
    MDS Supporter
    Oct 25, 2012
    ???

Site? Sound?

Not attacking you, just curious

Glad no one was hurt

In Pace Requiescat flamingo
    I saw it there. I had not been drinking but it was too quick for me to say anything.

I will add my nephew did not mince words. Someone asked him "did they gun just go off?" and he said he pulled the trigger. He did not, once, try to excuse it away. I respect that alot.

Once my head stopped ringing the first thing I told him to do was find it. We went on a 30 minute romp and found pieces in the interior walls. I wanted to ensure it didn't go up into the living area or of of the house.

eruby

Confederate Jew
    MDS Supporter
    I saw it there. I had not been drinking but it was too quick for me to say anything.

I will add my nephew did not mince words. Someone asked him "did they gun just go off?" and he said he pulled the trigger. He did not, once, try to excuse it away. I respect that alot.

Once my head stopped ringing the first thing I told him to do was find it. We went on a 30 minute romp and found pieces in the interior walls. I wanted to ensure it didn't go up into the living area or of of the house.
    :thumbsup:

Again, glad of no injuries!!

Nobody will ever admit to how frequently this happens.
    The gunshot, or the discharge?

:)

Bertfish

Throw bread on me
    Mar 13, 2013
    White Marsh, MD
    Cousin shot his washing machine. Absolute ND.

Dad almost shot his furnace. That was a malfunction. Seeing if a converted Valmet magazine would function and the cartridge had a proud primer. Slammed the bolt and it went off.

Neighbor shot a hole in his roof twice. Both were NDs.

Point them in a safe direction folks

teratos

My hair is amazing
    MDS Supporter
    Patriot Picket
    Jan 22, 2009
    Bel Air
    I will Doc!
    None for me.
    Don't load until you are ready to shoot and this includes CCW.
    Gotta keep it separated:

I’ve never had an ND, but I’ll admit to finding a round in the chamber more than once! It’s why we follow the cardinal rules of handling firearms…no exceptions.

My kids are fantastic about pointing in a safe direction and clearing the firearm before doing anything else. We went over gun safety pretty extensively when they were kids.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Mikeymike88

Latest threads

Top Bottom