Need Recommendations for My Daughter’s 1st Handgun.

The #1 community for Gun Owners of the Northeast

Member Benefits:

• No ad networks!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • DC-W

Ultimate Member
    Patriot Picket
    Jan 23, 2013
    ️‍
    I’ve never handled a HQL student who didn’t do well with a 9mm semi-auto, regardless of their physical characteristics.

The S&W EZ 9 really impressed me. A great first handgun, I think.

joppaj

Sheepdog
    Staff member
    Apr 11, 2008
    MD
    As many times as I've taken new shooters to the range, my Glock 19 and my Ruger Sp-101 have almost always been the most popular. Still, I'm firmly in the camp of "rent a bunch, narrow the list, rent again, then pick."

DocPeanut

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 20, 2010
    Depending on the area you’re in, I’ve got a 4.25” gp100 she could try. I’m in Westminster

Brickman301

Ultimate Member
    Mar 23, 2015
    FREDERICK, MD
    Op, I stated earlier to look into a S&W EZ9, but after rereading your post, I’m going to throw something else into the mix.
    If she’s looking for a firearm mainly for home defense, and some range fun/toy why not look into a shotgun, AR style rifle, or even a pistol caliber carbine? Any one of these options are better for home defense and just as much fun to shoot at the range. Let’s face it, it’s a whole lot easier to hit with a long gun than it is a handgun.
    Just a thought.

Occam

Not Even ONE Indictment
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 24, 2018
    Montgomery County
    Op, I stated earlier to look into a S&W EZ9, but after rereading your post, I’m going to throw something else into the mix.
    If she’s looking for a firearm mainly for home defense, and some range fun/toy why not look into a shotgun, AR style rifle, or even a pistol caliber carbine? Any one of these options are better for home defense and just as much fun to shoot at the range. Let’s face it, it’s a whole lot easier to hit with a long gun than it is a handgun.
    Just a thought.
    I'd rather defend the house with a suppressed 9mm braced pistol beastie (like my tiny CZ Scorpion), but it's not the easy bedside storage item that a pistol is. Not every young lady or anyone else for that matter always wants to deal with physical logistics of a long gun in unforeseen, quickly evolving circumstances. I'm very glad to have a handgun handy, and then my choice of long guns if I have a moment to gain access where they're safely in stashed away in multiple areas.

Glaron

Camp pureblood 13R
    BANNED!!!
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 20, 2013
    Virginia
    If my wife was any example.. Recoil is an issue. She did not like the 9mm at all. I bought her a 380. I started her at 22 worked up til she did not like to fire it. If you afraid of recoil? I dont see that as good. I see hesitation and bad shots.

Take her to the range and let her test pistols. I am not in favor of picking one for someone else.

Brickman301

Ultimate Member
    Mar 23, 2015
    FREDERICK, MD
    I’m not disagreeing with you, I’m just giving my opinion. Your correct they aren’t as easy to store, and like you I have both available. if someone was to break in while I’m asleep in my bedroom, I’m going to wait there with my shotgun. They have to pass my room to get to my sons room, so I’m good there. As long as they don’t try to enter my room, everything out there can be replaced.
    Im not going to be clearing rooms, to me it just isn’t worth the risk. One again just my opinion.

SkiPatrolDude

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Oct 24, 2017
    Timonium-Lutherville
    Revolvers are a fine choice, IMO, but anything that might be used for home defense should have a light of some kind.

Now I have my house programed so entry way lights turn on if my alarm goes off and I can also turn on my home lights from my phone, but I still think a weapon light is an important consideration.

An additional benefit to a light is that you can hit torso sized targets with almost no aiming... just make sure the concentrated flood of light is center mass and fire away. I've made hits on steel at midnight on my friends farm at 30 yards with just using the light off of an X300.

When I met my wife, she refused to shoot anything beyond a 380. Now her bedside gun is an HKVP9 in 9mm that wears a Surefire X300 and she knows how to use it reasonable well.

Racking the slide was initially a bit of a bear, but after learning proper technique (push versus pull), she has no issue.

winch

Ultimate Member
    Jan 14, 2011
    Towson
    Thanks for your input fellers....she did ask me about shotguns/rifles so they are in the mix as well (get both?). I'm gonna let her try my SIG P365XL 9MM, and my Mossberg Mariner 590 shotgun too. She doesn't know it yet but I bought her a Ruger 10/22 Backpacker model NIB from MDS Classifieds for her birthday in July.

How much does it cost to rent a gun at a range? I have no idea since I belong to a club and never go to indoor type ranges.

Trepang

Ultimate Member
    Dec 10, 2015
    Southern Illinois
    Colt, Ruger or S&W .38 Special DA revolver
    Colt_Detective-JH01.jpeg

Glaron

Camp pureblood 13R
    BANNED!!!
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 20, 2013
    Virginia
    Thanks for your input fellers....she did ask me about shotguns/rifles so they are in the mix as well (get both?). I'm gonna let her try my SIG P365XL 9MM, and my Mossberg Mariner 590 shotgun too. She doesn't know it yet but I bought her a Ruger 10/22 Backpacker model NIB from MDS Classifieds for her birthday in July.

How much does it cost to rent a gun at a range? I have no idea since I belong to a club and never go to indoor type ranges.ve no idea since I belong to a club and never go to indoor type ranges.

I took my wife and her friend here. I know it is not perfect, but they rent guns before I spent any money on her weapon of choice. It fit her hand, and a recoil she was ok with. My opinion was zero in this. I wanted her comfortable.

jlowe23

Industry Partner
    Mar 16, 2014
    Cecil County
    I'm a huge fan of S&W Shield EZ... in .380 or 9mm, blinged out or not, plenty of options in that line.

I agree with this. They are a solid 1st time handgun especially for the ladies. She would need to make sure she learns proper grip technique as they do have a grip/beaver tail safety.

[Kev308]

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 23, 2020
    Maryland
    Walther PPK. Give the girl some style and let her girlfriends be jealous.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20220502-210903.jpg
      Screenshot_20220502-210903.jpg
      55.8 KB · Views: 41

calicojack

American Sporting Rifle
    MDS Supporter
    May 29, 2018
    Cuba on the Chesapeake
    I agree with this. They are a solid 1st time handgun especially for the ladies. She would need to make sure she learns proper grip technique as they do have a grip/beaver tail safety.
    Or this if you don't want to start with a 22. And JLowes is a great place to buy one of these.

Jim12

Let Freedom Ring
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 30, 2013
    My aunt learned with and loved her S&W Model 65, a K-frame .357/.38 revolver slightly smaller than the L-frame 686 but hefty enough to handle recoil well.

montyw2

Feb 11, 2009
    Frederick, MD
    Walther PDP is a proven winner. They just released the PDP-F:
    Easier to rack
    reduced reach to trigger face
    reduced reach to mag release
    optics ready
    best polymer out of box trigger in industry
    life time warranty
    about $600

Had a S&W EZ9 and sold it because the grip safety isn’t as good as what’s on 1911’s and Springfield XD/XDm. It’s a bottom pivot and if you don’t crush the grip with your shooting hand it’s not 100% and that’s not good enough for a defensive gun.
    The other grip safety guns mentioned above pivot from the top so when you squeeze shooting hand the pinky/ring finger/heel of palm close their grip safeties every single time.

Art3

Eqinsu Ocha
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 30, 2015
    Harford County

How much does it cost to rent a gun at a range? I have no idea since I belong to a club and never go to indoor type ranges.
    Home defense handguns are for fighting your way to your long guns anyway, right? Just start her out with birdshot in the 590 so you don't scare her off. ;)

What club do you belong to? That could be a great resource for getting her to try out other members firearms...outside, which is better. Long before she was my wife, my wife and I rented a few 9mm's for her to test drive. She bought the one I liked the least :rolleyes: I don't remember the price being outrageous. I bet a lot of ranges may actually list them online. They will probably want you to use their ammo. Even if it costs $200 and an afternoon (or morning...try to go on a weekday so it's less crowded), it's cheaper than buying the wrong gun...especially if she doesn't like it and it turns her off on guns as a whole :shrug:

Unless there is an urgent need, though, I'd still recommend finding or making some buddies and trying their guns. If there IS an urgent need for self defense, and she feels more comfortable with a revolver, I'd consider a Ruger LCR in 9mm. DAO, so there is no hammer confusion. The trigger pull is long, (obviously) but not hateful. I'm sure in a life or death situation, she'd be able to yank it. Five rounds of 9mm (hollow points will feed just fine) on moon clips means ammo is available and easy to reload. Supposedly, out of the short barrel, 9mm performs better than 38sp. Down the road, if she wants something more enjoyable to shoot (which should be encouraged)...well, what's the harm in an extra defensive revolver in a quick access safe just in case :shrug:

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Charles of the Manor

Latest threads

Top Bottom