Need Recommendations for My Daughter’s 1st Handgun.

The #1 community for Gun Owners of the Northeast

Member Benefits:

• No ad networks!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • rbird7282

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 6, 2012
    Columbia
    "My daughter just got her motorcycle license, what bike should she get?"

...about the same thing. It could be a hybrid, apralia scooter, dyna low rider, or sport bike depending on what she fits with and needs. Finding the gun for her requires her trying some out and seeing which one is the easiest for her to shoot. It'll also depend a bit on what needs she has for the gun. For home defense and target shooting, something like a full-sized m&p 9 would be great. It'll give her more capacity and control than something smaller. If she plans on carrying it, then she should go through enough training to be able to choose for herself, but something g19 or g26 sized might work better.

Double action revolvers are cool for one reason... point and keep pressing the trigger until it starts clicking. If there's bad ammo, pressing the trigger again indexes away from that bad round automatically without a tap/rack...annnnnnnnd that's the only advantage they have over a modern semi-auto. Compared to a double action revolver, something like a m&p is going to have 3x the capacity while being much easier to shoot for the majority of people.

So the common answer of "take her to a range that rents guns and have her try as many as she can, then let her pick the best one for her" is the correct answer.

This. Any other recommendation is kind of ridiculous, not because they are bad guns but because they may be bad for her. She needs to find what she’s comfortable with and shoots well. Rent or try as many different ones as possible and go from there.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Huckleberry

No One of Consequence
    MDS Supporter
    Oct 19, 2007
    Severn & Lewes
    She‘s taken her first steps but still is in her crawl, walk, run stage so you want K.I.S.S. with the wheel guns and you have the 617 for her basic marksmanship training.

I recommended a K-Frame since their going to feel the same in her hand as the 617 and S&W K-Frames are a great value for a 1st gun.

Alternate is GP100 or one of its’ Ruger “Six” predecessors, again for value and affordability for an all around revolver.

As for training, get her comfortable with putting 6 rounds in COM first and foremost. Given that confidence, the rest will follow naturally as she gains interests and wants to expand her arsenal and ammo selection.

RRomig

Ultimate Member
    Industry Partner
    MDS Supporter
    Aug 30, 2021
    Burtonsville MD
    There are so many ranges that rent that I really can’t imagine why anyone wouldn’t go that route. A gun that feels great in hand might feel like crap shooting it. It’ll be a good time spent with your daughter. Hell I’d stretch that out to a few ranges just to spend time with mine.

KIBarrister

Opinionated Libertarian
    MDS Supporter
    Apr 10, 2013
    Kent Island/Centreville
    9mm because of recoil?

May I suggest something different then most here? 9mm 1911. Steel frame will make recoil more manageable, single stack/grip panel options/etc. can be easier for small hands.

If not small hands, P229 (or even if not "really small" with the newer E2 grips). A little lighter, but still enough that recoil is dampened compared to the Tupperware versions (although a P320 does give even more flexibility in grips).

May 21, 2017
    Gaithersburg, MD
    I'd echo RRomig. Heritage in Frederick has a ton of handguns you can rent. You'll never know whether or not she'll enjoying shooting a particular firearm until she actually tries it.

gwchem

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 18, 2014
    SoMD
    9mm because of recoil?

May I suggest something different then most here? 9mm 1911. Steel frame will make recoil more manageable, single stack/grip panel options/etc. can be easier for small hands.

If not small hands, P229 (or even if not "really small" with the newer E2 grips). A little lighter, but still enough that recoil is dampened compared to the Tupperware versions (although a P320 does give even more flexibility in grips).

Or go with the CZ SP01 for the same reasons, but with 17 rounds in the magazine.

alucard0822

For great Justice
    Oct 29, 2007
    PA
    To elaborate on my last post, a shotgun for a new shooter to use for home defense isn't just no, it's hells no, like a revolver vs semi auto, while it can be effective it is exceedingly difficult to run well compared to a carbine, heavy recoil, low capacity, slow and difficult to reload. Don't get me wrong, I love wheelguns and shotguns, have competed and instructed in them for years, but it's like teaching a new driver in a stick shift musclecar, because we did it, and it's cool, instead of a simple modern automatic that is easier to start off with. For the most part the pistol doesn't matter, provided it's in 9mm and fits her hand, M&P, VP9, G19, P320, whatever mid sized pistol she likes. Would opt for striker fired to keep it simple, 9mm to be cheap, effective, and mild recoil for an effective caliber.

The BEST thing to do, is shoot a couple of this type at the range, preferably with an instructor, pick one, really no wrong answer provided it's a quality doublestack striker fired pistol. The next thing to do is sign up for more live fire courses to learn and get familiar with that pistol, probably more important than the actual brand and model of the pistol is to have one that is familiar, and that will be familiar to an instructor. Avoid thumb safeties, hammer fired, or unique models. If she is the only one to show up to class with a revolver, it is going to be tough, as most things will be different than the rest of everyone with a mid sized pistol. Thumb safeties and hammers add complexity and get further away from generic instruction, this goes for some otherwise cool things like showing up with something like a TTI G34 or Sig X5, keep the choice boring and mainstream. A defensive pistol for use in a course is basically just a tool, the simpler and less unique, the better.

Depending on where she is, there is the "A girl and a gun" group that would be ideal to help instruct, have done some work with them in the past, my range hosts a couple instructors, and have shot competitions with a couple in the past. It's an awesome league with a lot of resources, she should definitely look into. https://www.agirlandagun.org/

Trop gun shop hosts them all the time at their range, although some other ranges around here do too. This is Trop's training schedule, lots of classes, and worth the trip. https://www.tropgun.com/firearms-training.php#calendar

Last edited:

rhippert

Aug 25, 2013
    Silver Spring, MD
    My adult daughter just completed the NRA Basic Pistol class and now has her HQL. She is looking to buy a handgun. She will not likely get a W&C but who knows with the SCOTUS decision looming. She thinks revolver might be the way to go.

I’m gonna take her to the range to check out my S&W 686 and 617.

She is not sure what caliber she wants.

Mostly this will be a home protection firearm, but she wants to do range stuff too.

I’m thinking 4” 686 type which would allow her to shoot .38. She has tried my 9mm P38 and seems ok with 9mm but probably nothing bigger.

Curious about your recommendation!!

Thanks
    Call:
    On Target
    (410) 551-7777
    2618 Annapolis Road
    Severn, MD 21144

They have a nice indoor range. They sell and rent guns.
    My son and his best friend went there, but it was a very long time ago, so, call and ask how they do it. When my son went, you paid a rental fee (maybe for a specific caliber) and you could try different guns in the same caliber.

When I teach the HQL program, I include the NRA Basic Pistol course material as well. When I take the student to the range, I start with my SIG P229 conversion to .22. The gun is heavy enough that recoil with a .22 is not an issue. I then let them try my Beretta Puma in .32 Auto. Next up is a SIG P230 in .380 Auto. I have a SIG P228 in 9mm that I will use, and if that works out and I think they can deal with a little more recoil, I put the .40 S&W barrel back in the P229 and let them try that. The .380 and 9mm are the best calibers for people with small hands or who have strength issues. The SIGs all have a similar size and feel, so there isn't a lot of adjustment except for the recoil.

I also teach the student how to use magazine loading tool like the UpLULA and slide racking tool like the Handi-Racker 2.

The only revolver I have is a Ruger LCR in .38 Special. It's NOT for everyone. One petite female student tried it. She took aim, squeezed off a round and then had to readjust her grasp. (It tends to try to jump out of your hand.) She took aim a second time and fired. She readjusted her grip, raised the gun to fire again, hesitated, then laid it down on the bench in front of her and raised her hands to the sides and said "I'm done!". I really something more suitable for student range time.

Check out On Target. Make it a road trip in necessary. Get one of the clerks (another female might be best) to walk her through different makes and models to see what fits her hands best. Hand fit is probably one of the most important things. A used gun might be good first choice, just in case she finds, it's not a good fir for her.

Also, if this is for home defense and responding to things that go bump in the night, get her a pair of electronic ear muffs to keep by the gun. They will allow her to hear things as she investigates, but will protect her hearing when she has to fire.

I hope that helps. Fit is as important as function. She'll learn to run the gun as she practices and becomes accustomed to it.

Blaster229

God loves you, I don't.
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 14, 2010
    Glen Burnie
    Revolvers suck as fun range guns. It's a great way to have someone lose interest in shooting, real fast.
    Micro semis suck because they are too "snappy". Plus they offer very little weight and not a lot of grip surface to learn to live comfortably with controlling recoil.
    My experience with "fitting" females to a pistol has been the G19 size to fuller size pistols grip have been best. The M&P EZ is a GREAT pistol.
    I say get her more range time in to get some experience. And find someone with GOOD EXPERIENCE to help fit her. If you suck, then your teaching will suck. No need to pass along bad habits or lack of knowledge.

Also, do not use electronic ear muffs inside your house for a self defense scenario. It's a terrible idea.
    First of all, they don't allow for directional hearing. I don't know the actual term, but the sound comes from "all around" instead of in front of you, behind you to the left, etc...
    Secondly, the noise you make also gets amplified. Everything in those cans on your ears is loud.
    Third, your daughter isn't going to go clear the house looking for a threat requiring amplified hearing.
    Fourth, a few unprotected hearing shots will not cause someone to go deaf.

DanOh

Apr 13, 2022
    Marriotsville
    A lot will depend on her hand size and what fits comfortably in her hand. As mentioned in several earlier posts, trying several different guns would be great. There are many arguments on both sides for revolver vs semi but a serious conversation needs to take place about the stress of an actual home defense situation to see if that influences the decision. I started my wife with a S& W revolver but she knows my Glock carry is always loaded and charged so she only has to point and shoot. We have no kids in the house if that is relevant. I recommend you discuss an actual plan for various home defense scenarios and what to do should a shooting situation occur. I know I'm getting off topic but these are all part of the home defense situation many don't think about. Congratulations for your daughters interest in shooting.

Bob A

όυ φροντισ
    MDS Supporter
    Patriot Picket
    Nov 11, 2009
    Some of my most pleasant guns to shoot are Walther PPK in 32acp, and S&W Hand Ejectors in 32 S&W Long. For bigger guns, the Browning Hi Power is great, but a little large. CZ P01 is another favorite of mine.

winch

Ultimate Member
    Jan 14, 2011
    Towson
    Thanks for the great ideas everyone!! We were supposed to go to the range today so she could try out some of my firearms but we got rained out. Try again next week.

Harrys

Short Round
    Jul 12, 2014
    SOMD
    Revolver-semiauto, revolver-semiauto, revolver-semiauto- Whatever she is comfortable with. You only need one round and accuracy is the most important aspect. Training, training, practice, practice is what is needed to gain proficiency. In today's world you need quick access to your weapon. If there are people under the age of 21 in the house pistols should be locked. This defeats the use for home defense, and you only have seconds to respond especially if you are asleep.

Magnumite

Ultimate Member
    Dec 17, 2007
    Harford County, Maryland
    Lots of valid suggestions. What I would not recommend are small, light weight centerfire handguns with any reasonable power. This would include 38 Spec and 357 snub (2-2.75” barrels) guns. Those are for shooters with some experience.

lazarus

Ultimate Member
    Jun 23, 2015
    Everyone makes much ado about capacity and ability to quickly reload, but if you need more than 6 rounds in a home defense situation, you were probably fooked anyway.
    Unless you didn’t keep a cool head and shot through something or shot without aiming. 6 isn’t much in a panicked situation. Even just at the range with my lower capacity handguns there are plenty of times I am kind of surprised I shot all 6/7/8 rounds because I really thought I had one or two more because I was laser focused on what I was doing, not counting rounds. Even a higher capacity handgun I’ve been a little surprised thinking “huh, I ran out fast than I thought”.

IMHO I’d go with a double stack 9mm if it’ll fit her hand. Maybe a compact frame like a Glock 19 and use lower recoil ammo if she needs something a bit softer shooting, like a defensive round in 115gr or even a reduced recoil defensive round.

Very unlikely you’ll reload in a defensive situation. Ideally you bring an M241 to the fight. But in a real world situation, higher capacity is best if you can handle it. The only reason to get something lower capacity is if the gun doesn’t fit you or you can’t conceal it. At least if you are staking your life on it.

Most concealed carry defensive gun uses invoke firing zero shots. Most that involve shots of a CCW are resolved in 6 or less. HOME defense there are a lot that involve firing a lot more than 6 shots. The majority no. But a lot.

Also I’d suggest a 22lr of some type. If it matched the larger caliber handgun she gets great. But unless she isn’t interest or willing to practice, the investment in a 22lr for low recoil and cheap practice is invaluable. A 22lr and 2 bricks of ammo is currently about the same price as 1000 rounds of 9mm. And most people could easily shoot 100-200 rounds of 22lr at a range visit. Most novice shooters probably can’t shoot that much 9mm in a range visit.

More shooting, especially if the manual of arms is identical, the better to build proficiency and muscle memory.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    DominicM

Latest threads

Top Bottom