• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • kalister1

R.I.P.
    May 16, 2008
    Pasadena Maryland
    I love my Nagant revolvers. Sometimes you can't hit the bullet with the broad side of a barn but they're still fun to shoot. I agree with those who say it has a strong trigger pull.

If you search the Internet you can find a good write up about improving the double action trigger pull on a Nagant. He shows where to stone and how to modify the spring.

SalemCat

Jan 10, 2013
    All this Nagant talk made me pull mine out of the Safe to admire it.

It's a 1944 Tula. Being so close to the end of the War, I like to fool myself into believing it's not re-arsenaled, that it was used little or not at all.

I can see fine scratches from the Arsenal on the sides. I wonder if they were that way new ? How much care would Russia really put into the finish of these things, anyhow ?

Re-Finished or not, it's nice they did not buff the hell out of these, and round all the edges off, as I see all too often on American Handguns when they are redone.

tumblr_mrn1v2epcf1snc4wmo1_500.jpg

tumblr_mrn1v2epcf1snc4wmo2_500.jpg

SalemCat

Jan 10, 2013
    spry to burst your bubble. See that square with vertical line, that's the refurb mark.

Overall still very nice with wood grips.

Thanks for the info !

Most likely the Russians just rounded them all up and put them through the same process, with no judgement calls as to whether any individual weapon required it or not.

If I want an example with an original finish I'll have to look on GunBroker for a Husqvarna.

Check out the end of the Barrel on mine. What's up with that ?

Why did they leave the Muzzle clear of finish ? It's the only metal part of the entire gun that is not black.

tumblr_mrn5vb1Omw1snc4wmo1_500.jpg

I realize the pic does not make it clear, but trust me, the Muzzle is bare steel with no finish.

Machodoc

Old Guy
    Jun 27, 2012
    Just South of Chuck County
    Check out the end of the Barrel on mine. What's up with that ?

Why did they leave the Muzzle clear of finish ? It's the only metal part of the entire gun that is not black.

tumblr_mrn5vb1Omw1snc4wmo1_500.jpg

I realize the pic does not make it clear, but trust me, the Muzzle is bare steel with no finish.

It's been crowned. That's probably something else that they did to all of them without evaluation as to whether they needed it, or not. The same is true for many of the re-arsenaled 91/30s.

Lots of muzzles on rifles (and pistols, I guess) got bumped and dinged, making them inaccurate to shoot. Crowning just milled off a bit of the metal at the muzzle, cleaning up those dings.

In more extreme cases, the muzzle ends were counter-bored, which involved taking out some of the rifling at the muzzle end of the barrel in order to clean up damage there ... usually done by sloppy cleaning with steel cleaning rods.

SalemCat

Jan 10, 2013
    In more extreme cases, the muzzle ends were counter-bored, which involved taking out some of the rifling at the muzzle end of the barrel in order to clean up damage there ... usually done by sloppy cleaning with steel cleaning rods.

Is this why most Revolver Manufacturers recommend cleaning from the BREECH ?

Machodoc

Old Guy
    Jun 27, 2012
    Just South of Chuck County
    Is this why most Revolver Manufacturers recommend cleaning from the BREECH ?

Absolutely. The chamber tapers and will help to feed the cleaning rod into the bore without the risk of damage found in trying to cram it down the muzzle.

If you really want to be careful with your firearms, get carbon fiber or fiberglas rods that will fit them. They're a good investment. The cleaning rod that comes with a military C&R should be considered to be for show or emergency only, unless it happens to be brass.

kalister1

R.I.P.
    May 16, 2008
    Pasadena Maryland
    I can't get such good pictures as i see here.
    Mine has What looks like an Arrow inside the Star, dated 1943R
    It has what was described as the Refurb Mark, straight line inside a box.

I need to work on my photography!

Attachments

• nagant.jpg
      nagant.jpg
      18.8 KB · Views: 80
    Last edited:

CZ Fanboy

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Jul 19, 2013
    I have heard these revolvers are really good and you won't regret buying it. Plus a handgun for $100 in general that isn't a Highpoint is a steal!

SalemCat

Jan 10, 2013
    Right now getting one for $100 will take doing.

$150 maybe, $200 more likely.

Even at $200 they are nice guns.

There are many for sale that folks bought on a lark, when they were $100, that they'd be happy to sell for $150 or so.

Melnic

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 27, 2012
    HoCo
    Gander mt in Salisbury has one for $179 plus all the extra crap you have to do to buy one in state.

Like the Gun stories episode people ate still mentioning prices from a year or two ago. Kicking myself for being a lurker for so long. But I knew zip

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    JackW

Latest threads

Top Bottom