• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • vafish

Mar 13, 2012
    Commonwealth of Virginia
    Yeah ... but trying to find 32-20 brass is a lot harder these days than getting the Nagant surplus ammo. There's always something ...!

That one looks really nice, Melnic. "You done good." Keep in mind that they were not put to much more practical use than to keep troops moving in the direction they were ordered* to, so don't expect them to be much more than fun to shoot at relatively short distances. [It's been said that these pistols were probably used more on Russian troops who lost their nerve and tried to run than on enemy troops.]

Midway had the dies, bullet mold, and 32-20 brass in stock a few weeks ago.

I ordered them in anticipation of my nagants arriving.

Melnic

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 27, 2012
    HoCo
    I have a solution for the spring that snapped and tried it out the other night. But there was enough cosmo gunking up the trigger group that I had to pull it all apart and clean it with mineral spirits then solvent to get it to snap smoothly. I know I've heard of people shooting this without pulling the lock works apart, but mine had enough stuff in it that the trigger would not strike very hard. After cleaning it all out, I can definitely feel/hear the difference in the way it hits the snap cap. I took a cheap fiberglass rod and cut it down for use in ejecting old shells. A friend told me to insert the rod and have the hammer pin strike the rod and see how far up into the air it shoots. After cleaning, it shoots up into the air about twice as far. If I can't get this shooting in a week, I'll order another one, and see about waiting till springs come into stock somewhere. I won't be holding my breath because everyone I've corresponded to who searched for a spring never found one or waited a long time.

smdub

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Nov 14, 2012
    MoCo
    Can you post a pic of the spring? Can likely be repaired (though the economics may not make it viable.)

Melnic

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 27, 2012
    HoCo
    This is a pic of what my idea was.
    This was posted by someone who recieved thier Nagant revolver from surplus and it already had this repair done to it by the Russians.
    My spring is split right in the same place.
    I'm doing the same thing but I am making a new wooden insert to capture the metal C block from moving instead of damaging the original. That way if I ever get a replacement spring, I have not altered the original parts (other than spring of course). The PIN is also broken but BARELY makes enough contact that with the help of the wood, should keep it in. My C block was made from 1/4" Stainless I had at work.

I C clamped the metal C block in to verify it would function.

Attachments

• DSCN0601As.jpg
      DSCN0601As.jpg
      65.5 KB · Views: 185

smoothebore

This is a pic of what my idea was.
    This was posted by someone who recieved thier Nagant revolver from surplus and it already had this repair done to it by the Russians.
    My spring is split right in the same place.
    I'm doing the same thing but I am making a new wooden insert to capture the metal C block from moving instead of damaging the original. That way if I ever get a replacement spring, I have not altered the original parts (other than spring of course). The PIN is also broken but BARELY makes enough contact that with the help of the wood, should keep it in. My C block was made from 1/4" Stainless I had at work.

I C clamped the metal C block in to verify it would function.

Good thinking!

Melnic

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 27, 2012
    HoCo
    She Bang.
    The locating pin for the V of the spring is broken but just enough to locate it before putting it back together. Here is a pic at the range this morning. You can see the new wood middle insert. I'm going to shoot it like this for a bit and maybe order a spare insert from the milsurp place. If this is not reliable, I may take up the offer and have it welded. I did not set up a target but shot into the berm at 50 yards at some white piece of paper that was there. I was surprised at single action that I was hitting within a few inches of it most of the time. Double action was another story. I shot 28 rounds then headed out cause of a work meeting.

Attachments

• IMG_0983.jpg
      IMG_0983.jpg
      89 KB · Views: 160

Melnic

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 27, 2012
    HoCo
    I fitted the temporary insert and stained it. I'll continue to wait on a spring to get in stock but its still shootable.

Anyone else shooting their new acquisition?
    I left the white rod at home and most of the time I was able to pop the shell out just pushing my finger on the front side and then pulling it out. I like this for range gun use. It slows me down and I don't fire off as many rounds. Today's session only cost me $15.
    I like the "I've never seen one of those" statements I get from it.

smores

Creepy-Ass Cracker
    Feb 27, 2007
    Falls Church
    Then how do you know that it sucks?

I've been inside about a hundred revolvers by now, I would guess. Colt, Smith & Wesson, even old H&R and Taurus revolvers are nicer. The M1895 I had, had a barrel that looks like it was hand-forged by apes.

If I wanted an old military handgun in a proprietary caliber I'd get something nice like a Mauser C96. If I want a nice revolver, I'm thinking Colt, Smith & Wesson or Korth if I want to get fancy.

Soviet surplus guns make me go a big rubbery one. Historical and interesting? Yes. Something I want in my collection? No. The OP wanted opinions, I offered.

Si vis pacem para bellum

follow me @DiscipleofJMB

Machodoc

Old Guy
    Jun 27, 2012
    Just South of Chuck County
    I've been inside about a hundred revolvers by now, I would guess. Colt, Smith & Wesson, even old H&R and Taurus revolvers are nicer. The M1895 I had, had a barrel that looks like it was hand-forged by apes.

If I wanted an old military handgun in a proprietary caliber I'd get something nice like a Mauser C96. If I want a nice revolver, I'm thinking Colt, Smith & Wesson or Korth if I want to get fancy.

Soviet surplus guns make me go a big rubbery one. Historical and interesting? Yes. Something I want in my collection? No. The OP wanted opinions, I offered.

Fair enough, but since this is a C&R forum, most of us look at these firearms in that particular light--historical and interesting. I'd imagine that I've also "been inside" about the same number of handguns in my lifetime, but I wouldn't pass judgement on how one shoots without ... well ... shooting it.

Nor would I pass judgement on how something shoots based upon what I perceived to be the quality of manufacture (unless I saw something that was undoubtedly unsafe about it). Keep in mind that when US troops first encountered AKs, we laughed at how crude and "shacklety-made" they were, compared to our own high-precision pieces. Then we started testing them and found that they shoot reasonably well--certainly well enough for first-line offensive weapon. Then we started shooting them in dusty conditions, without cleaning them, and they still worked. Then we dragged them through the mud ... and they still fired. Suddenly, what we thought to be crude manufacturing didn't look so funny anymore. They were onto something.

Would I carry a Nagant revolver as my CCW? Nope! Not unless I has no other choice. Would I use it in a match? Only if everyone else was required to use the same handgun. But would I have one (or two) in a collection of historical and interesting C&R arms, and let truly interested friends fire what the Soviets had at their disposal in WWII? Absolutely ... and I do. That's what this C&R stuff is all about for many of us. It's not just an access ticket to cheap guns (or formerly-cheap guns).

Melnic

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 27, 2012
    HoCo
    Good way to put things Machodoc.
    This is a very interesting firearm to shoot. I"m a small time collector and I use the term collector loosely. I'm a minor History buff. Always have been and this is part of history. It's also fun for range time.
    Here are my worse and best targets from today at lunch. (4 targets, 7 shots each) 25ft Indoors Single Action. If one shoots this and you think it's not shooting straight, give it some time, Its not as easy to shoot as a modern handgun.

Attachments

• Nagant2013032625ft3.JPG
      Nagant2013032625ft3.JPG
      39.2 KB · Views: 106
    • Nagant2013032625ft4.JPG
      Nagant2013032625ft4.JPG
      38.9 KB · Views: 107

Truthlesshero81

Sep 30, 2011
    I think the Russkies killed more people with these by using them as hammers then by shooting them. Mine goes bang but boy oh boy it would be a really bad day if that was my war weapon. My Mosin and M44 however, I wouldn't trade them for anything :-).

smores

Creepy-Ass Cracker
    Feb 27, 2007
    Falls Church
    Fair enough, but since this is a C&R forum, most of us look at these firearms in that particular light--historical and interesting. I'd imagine that I've also "been inside" about the same number of handguns in my lifetime, but I wouldn't pass judgement on how one shoots without ... well ... shooting it.

Nor would I pass judgement on how something shoots based upon what I perceived to be the quality of manufacture (unless I saw something that was undoubtedly unsafe about it). Keep in mind that when US troops first encountered AKs, we laughed at how crude and "shacklety-made" they were, compared to our own high-precision pieces. Then we started testing them and found that they shoot reasonably well--certainly well enough for first-line offensive weapon. Then we started shooting them in dusty conditions, without cleaning them, and they still worked. Then we dragged them through the mud ... and they still fired. Suddenly, what we thought to be crude manufacturing didn't look so funny anymore. They were onto something.

Would I carry a Nagant revolver as my CCW? Nope! Not unless I has no other choice. Would I use it in a match? Only if everyone else was required to use the same handgun. But would I have one (or two) in a collection of historical and interesting C&R arms, and let truly interested friends fire what the Soviets had at their disposal in WWII? Absolutely ... and I do. That's what this C&R stuff is all about for many of us. It's not just an access ticket to cheap guns (or formerly-cheap guns).

Again, the OP asked for an opinion. I had a C&R FFL but let it expire after learning that all the cheap C&R guns did not suit my tastes. I bought a Nagant revolver to refinish in gunsmith school, and was told my my instructors that it was so crude that after probably a week of sanding and polishing, there wouldn't be anything left, and they were right.

I don't care how accurately a Hi-Point or Kel-Tec may shoot, they look and feel like $hit. In my opinion aesthetics and ergonomics are very important, behind function. The M1895 with its crazy gas sealing system, heavy double action trigger pull and proprietary caliber turned me off pretty quick aside from its ugliness.

Would I like some C&R stuff in my collection? Sure. But I'd rather spend my money on more modern guns for now. I'd love a Luger, early 1911, Thompson, and other guns.

ETA: don't allude to the AK vs. Better Rifle debate. The AK is actually useful, and I have one. But I have a few ARs and am building more... I like what I like. Sorry if I hurt your feelings.

Si vis pacem para bellum

follow me @DiscipleofJMB

reverendbeer

Stiff Member
    Nov 9, 2012
    Anne Arundel Province, DPRM
    It sucks. I bought one when I had a C&R and sold it a couple months later without ever shooting it.

Again, the OP asked for an opinion.

Anyone who owns one, or who has shot one care to offer an opinion?

Also,

I had a C&R FFL but let it expire after learning that all the cheap C&R guns did not suit my tastes. [...] Would I like some C&R stuff in my collection? Sure. But I'd rather spend my money on more modern guns for now.

36700373.jpg

smores

Creepy-Ass Cracker
    Feb 27, 2007
    Falls Church

Lol... ok you got me on the reading comprehension fail.

M1895s still suck though. I'm not gonna bandwagon on cheap C&R guns. Have fun with them if you like them, I was just offering a different view of them I guess.

If someone had told me anything other than "oh man they're awesomez I have 5" maybe I wouldn't have wasted the time and money to find out I didn't like it.

Si vis pacem para bellum

follow me @DiscipleofJMB

amoebicmagician

Samopal Goblin
    Dec 26, 2012
    Columbia, MD
    quite honestly, it depends on what you are looking for.

For something fun to plink with, or just a cheap gun you can put up somewhere in case you need it some day, sure. I used to keep one in the drawer under some inconspicuous papers by the door in case someone ever bursts in when I answer the door, I eventually replaced it in that duty with a makarov PM.

Quite honestly, for just a bit more you can get a CZ-82, and I just have to tell you....

That gun is just the bees ****ing knees.

With the polygonal rifling and the fact that a lot of the mak ammo actually trends hotter than advertised, the 9mm mak is an INCREDIBLY effective round for what it is, much more so than the 7.62 nagant, which is after all a .30 caliber round. I mean the cz-82 is still in active service in europe, in countries that have access to plants churning out cz-75s! The guns are AMAZING! They feel great in the hand, hold 12 rounds, are built strong enough to take even the hottest +P 9mm makarov, and they are as accurate as a handgun can possibly be. I have a few of them, each with a Blackhawk IWB holster that they pretty much live in full time, so I can grab them for pocket carry, IWB, or just keep them cozy in their holster in the drawer or hidey hole I have them in.

I seriously can not even tell you how much I love the cz-82, it's the best of the maks, and the grip feels just so amazingly right in your hand.

So yeah, just get the cz-82 if money's tight. But if you have the cash, the nagant revolver IS a lot of fun. It's just completely outclassed as a weapon by the CZ. Also the CZ is much more concealable. In fact it is so concealable it is my go to CCW when I roam out of state.

Hope this helps

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Davidbanner

Latest threads

Top Bottom