• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • atrizu

Hypnotoad
    Jan 1, 2011
    PG
    Anyone know when the deer firearm hunting seasons ends and Myrtle Grove reopens. I really don't want to drive the 1+ hours there and have it turn out to be closed... again.

The season is confusing. Anyone got a very certain date as to when it's open again?

IJM

Ultimate Member
    Apr 7, 2012
    District of Columbia
    You can either pay 5 bucks and get a 1-day permit onsite, or you can get a yearly permit. IMO, the easiest way to get the yearly permit is online through the DNR website.

Andras

Aug 12, 2008
    Charles Co.
    The WalMart in LaPlata can sell you an annual permit also.

Just remember it doesn't matter when you get it, it still expires on July31.

BradMacc82

Ultimate Member
    Industry Partner
    Aug 17, 2011
    No.........one shot per second rule applies

Good way to get kicked out of the range by DNR, NRP

Bingo.

Depending on attitude, the best case scenario is just being asked to leave. The worst case - well, it wouldn't be fun. Let's just leave it at that. :)

Rick3bears

Grumpy Old Coot
    Jul 28, 2012
    Somewhere, MD
    Myrtle Grove visit

Visited MG on a Friday morning. Not crowded at all, 4 other shooters. When I arrived, I set up and the other shooters seeing me ready to shoot called for a cold range. I liked the new target frames and some kind person had left clothes pins on the mesh. I brought some with me, but it was nice to see others are generous. Place my targets and began shooting when range went hot. MSP showed up, everyone said hello and good morning and all we got was silence. Really? I chalked it up to jealousy. Maybe he wanted to be off and shooting also. All-in-all a good day, shot 200rds through my Springfield .40 XDsubcompact. Only drawback to the whole experience was the flying ants were AWFUL! They wanted to crawl up under my safety glasses, under my shooting earmuffs and of all things... kept landing on the front sight. Probably going again tomorrow. Got a new Yugo Tokarev that needs testing and I want to see how my rebuild on a Chinese Type 56 SKS went. Happy shooting guys!

wabbit

Ultimate Member
    Apr 29, 2010
    Would those of us coming from out-of-state be allowed to bring our .308 ARs or 5.56 ARs there? I read HBAR ARs are OK, but my Stag-15 rifle doesn't have a HBAR barrel.

FePhoenix

May 31, 2012
    Lexington Park
    Permit and other stuff

I've been crawling around the DNR website and not yet found the range pass. Anyone able to guide?

I intend to make a day visit during a weekday, primarily to sight in a couple rifles. One is an AR15 5.56 (no slidefire). Should be no issue. The other is the one I have a question about. I seriously doubt it would be an issue, but better to ask and sound stupid then get yelled at later - I don't want to be seen as a yahoo. The other is an airgun - a .22 1200fps Gamo Whisper (it's pretty close to the ballistics of a .22 long). The question is due to it not being a firearm. Airguns gonna be griped at?

Does anyone know the size of the target frames offhand? Can multiple targets be mounted (for multiple shooters or multiple groupings, for example) to the same frame? ("Can" meaning physically possible/feasible as well as allowable)

lx1x

Peanut Gallery
    Apr 19, 2009
    Maryland
    I've been crawling around the DNR website and not yet found the range pass. Anyone able to guide?

I intend to make a day visit during a weekday, primarily to sight in a couple rifles. One is an AR15 5.56 (no slidefire). Should be no issue. The other is the one I have a question about. I seriously doubt it would be an issue, but better to ask and sound stupid then get yelled at later - I don't want to be seen as a yahoo. The other is an airgun - a .22 1200fps Gamo Whisper (it's pretty close to the ballistics of a .22 long). The question is due to it not being a firearm. Airguns gonna be griped at?

Does anyone know the size of the target frames offhand? Can multiple targets be mounted (for multiple shooters or multiple groupings, for example) to the same frame? ("Can" meaning physically possible/feasible as well as allowable)

small targets... they supply the stand.. id say roughly 20x20 inches max? bring clothes pin to hold your target.

aiguns is fine .. ppl will just look at you wierd.. just ignore them.

daily permit is near the ramp toward the rifle pit .. its an honor system.. there should be an envelop for you to fill out and put money into.. then drop in the box.

FePhoenix

May 31, 2012
    Lexington Park
    small targets... they supply the stand.. id say roughly 20x20 inches max? bring clothes pin to hold your target.

aiguns is fine .. ppl will just look at you wierd.. just ignore them.

daily permit is near the ramp toward the rifle pit .. its an honor system.. there should be an envelop for you to fill out and put money into.. then drop in the box.

Okay, so I can fit more than one target, but they're gonna be small. I've read this entire thread, so I'd already seen the clothespins thing; I'll add them to my range bag.

Okay on the ignore-the-hairy-stares-for-an-airgun thing.

Guess I was unclear. I don't intend just a single visit; the one mentioned is just the first, called out for the airgun sight-in. I intend to be around 2-5 times a month, so I'd prefer to get the yearly. Does that still exist? If so, where? I've still not found it on the DNR site.

lx1x

Peanut Gallery
    Apr 19, 2009
    Maryland
    Okay, so I can fit more than one target, but they're gonna be small. I've read this entire thread, so I'd already seen the clothespins thing; I'll add them to my range bag.

Okay on the ignore-the-hairy-stares-for-an-airgun thing.

Guess I was unclear. I don't intend just a single visit; the one mentioned is just the first, called out for the airgun sight-in. I intend to be around 2-5 times a month, so I'd prefer to get the yearly. Does that still exist? If so, where? I've still not found it on the DNR site.
    multi target is fine as long they dont pass outside that mesh..and alwys make sure what's behind your target..

yearly pass can be bought online or walmarts that sells hunting...fishing licenses.. ask for myrtle grove permit.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    GD-3

Latest threads

Top Bottom