• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • wenfa

Apr 23, 2012
    St. Mary's City
    I am going to school at St. Mary's College of Maryland and I hope to be using this range once a week. Now I just have to figure out where to keep the ol' M1 the other 6 days of the week.

guthook

Grrr.
    Apr 7, 2008
    St. Mary's
    I am going to school at St. Mary's College of Maryland and I hope to be using this range once a week. Now I just have to figure out where to keep the ol' M1 the other 6 days of the week.

Tell your parents to get you a membership at Sanners Lake. It's right off of Great Mills Rd.

Myrtle Grove is like an hour and a half from you. But if you don't mind the drive, it's cheap.:)

Wahoo

Oct 15, 2012
    oh i know. but more and more are just finding the place recently. and most are asshats.

Have been to the range a few times recently with my son, a Marine stationed at Indian Head. We were there yesterday, a busy Sunday afternoon, and a group of those yahoos were at the last station--clowning around, shooting gangsta-style, and generally being loud and obnoxious like "Joker Joe" Biden at a VP debate.

lx1x

Peanut Gallery
    Apr 19, 2009
    Maryland
    Have been to the range a few times recently with my son, a Marine stationed at Indian Head. We were there yesterday, a busy Sunday afternoon, and a group of those yahoos were at the last station--clowning around, shooting gangsta-style, and generally being loud and obnoxious like "Joker Joe" Biden at a VP debate.

Yep.. Seen so many of those.

Capt Skup

Ultimate Member
    Feb 29, 2012
    Calvert County
    Carrying a handgun in a holster

This may sound like an odd question but here it is. What is the protocal for using a holster for a handgun at Myrtle Grove? Is it allowed or normal for someone to holster a gun when the range is cold and walk down the lanes to their target? I spent most of my shooting days in Florida or Texas where it is not an issue but here in Maryland I am not sure what is a no no. Do people carry loaded guns in their holsters downrange when the range is cold? I don't know about anyone else but I do not feel comfy leaving my prized toys on the table, ammo and all and hike downrange, especially when alone or only a few at the range. I know I need to read the rules but am curious what fellow shooters do when that situation arises. Thanks

Capt Skup

Ultimate Member
    Feb 29, 2012
    Calvert County
    I just read the rules and see that it is stated a "loaded" firearm cannot be forward of the shooting table area. I want to understand I can carry in a holster an unloaded firearm downrange (when cold) while setting up/retrieving target material. Hopefully I am correct with that understanding.

SOMDSHOOT

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Nov 18, 2009
    Indian Head

WHAT ? YAHOO'S AT THE GROVE ? NO WAY ?!?!?!?!?

I'm not sure about the Yahoos, but, everyone watch out for them Wahoos.

niftyvt

Ultimate Member
    Aug 21, 2010
    Virginia
    I just read the rules and see that it is stated a "loaded" firearm cannot be forward of the shooting table area. I want to understand I can carry in a holster an unloaded firearm downrange (when cold) while setting up/retrieving target material. Hopefully I am correct with that understanding.

Rule 10 covers this.
    "10. All firearms are to be unloaded with breech or action open when shooters are down range. Handling of firearms is prohibited while anyone is down range."

But I have seen people do it and I have done it myself. Just dont yell and wave it around trying to tell everyone you forgot to take it off :D, people will most likely be down range already and not even notice. In my case its usually in my normal conceal rig I wear when out of MD so I am used to it and just forget about it sometimes. I do my best to unload and have everything on the table, as per rule 10, but crap happens.

Capt Skup

Ultimate Member
    Feb 29, 2012
    Calvert County
    I just do not like walking down the range with guns and ammo on the table sometimes. Kind of a bummer to be shot by your own gun with your own ammo.

niftyvt

Ultimate Member
    Aug 21, 2010
    Virginia
    I just do not like walking down the range with guns and ammo on the table sometimes. Kind of a bummer to be shot by your own gun with your own ammo.

Yep, thats why I "forget" my gun is on sometimes :innocent0 Its heavily dependent on who is at the range at the time. If its guys I know (ie regulars like Al :D, families etc) there is usually at least one of use that stays back and keeps an eye out, even if we dont plan it out that way. Then I dont really mind leaving stuff behind. If its a bunch of shady people, and I have been to myrtle where I was nervous (I usually pack up the next cold and get the heck out of there asap!), my memory just happens to not be working to well that day and I kept everything on until I got back to my car.

I, of course, do not condone breaking the rules, just the use of a large dose of common sense.

johnb007

Jul 6, 2011
    Love that range. I sneak out there a few times a month around opening time. Some days I'm all alone ;-)

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 2

Yep. I've been there a few times (being the only one there early or when it's really hot outside) and it's not a good feeling to leave high dollar items or irreplaceable family heirlooms on the table, with me 100 yards downrange. In that case I usually either pull the bolts or empty mags, and put them in my pockets, or shorten my shooting distance to 25 yards. There have been a couple instances where douchebags waited in the parking lot for the range to go cold. Then they ran down with people down range, grabbed their guns and hauled a**. One of those instances being just last year. A good day is a partially filled range with responsible folks, good weather and no asshats....but those days seem harder and harder to come by, recently.

fnfalsar48

Feb 27, 2011
    Virginia
    I haven't been to Myrtle Grove in over 10 years. My question is, when you purchase a permit is it good for one year from date of purchase?

Citizen

Red Man in a Blue State
    Nov 9, 2012
    Calvert Collective, PRM
    Went to MG today. There were a bunch of Yahoos at the farthest bench; no ear plug, no safety gear, ball caps turned sideways, and a lot of expensive fire-power. Girlfriends in tight dresses & high heels, yacking on their cellphones holding their fingers in their ears. Tricked out AR's, laser sights, mounted flashlights, etc. Just blasting up the target stands.

We left after one of them shot off his auto-shotgun about 5 times in 2 seconds, then turned around to the other benches and laughed, "Sorry. My bad".

jweigl

Nov 26, 2012
    ranges

i have very recently returned from a deployment and am in need of a range to sight in my new muzzleloader. i see that there are very few public ranges around calvert county, myrtle grove being the closest but it is closed during firearm season which is, unconvienently for me, in full effect. Does anyone know of another place that does allow the use of a range during firearm.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Millebar

Latest threads

Top Bottom