• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • rickyp

Ultimate Member
    Sep 13, 2009
    I was just at Myrtle grove range (7-28-23) at 0845. there was already several cars in the parking lot and several of the lanes where taken. this isn't that unusual. There was this self appointed range officer at the far end. He was telling everyone to put their ears on 5 minutes before 9. then at 858 am he called the range hot. I just sat there playing on my phone for the last minute until my apple watch showed 9 am then I started testing my ar15 for faction. after 10 minutes this Karen calls for a cold range. everyone gets back and just chatting a little before going hot. there was a guy working on his rifle. it was is two parts and no way to fire. this guy starts screaming at the top of his lungs as him and saying no one called the range hot and belittling this guy. someone got tired and screamed the range is hot. we all went back to shooting and another 10 minutes this same jack ass calls for a cold again and started barking out range commands and actually calling out range numbers to see if they are cold! . Luckily I finished test firing my 2 ar15 uppers and my handgun so I was finished for the day. if I was going to be there longer this Karen and I would have had a few words and no it wasn't me he was yelling at. I guess this guy has no power at home so he has to come to the range and bark out orders to feel special. i guess we should be grateful he wasn't there blowing a whistle.

whistlersmother

Peace through strength
    Jan 29, 2013
    Fulton, MD
    Why was he calling cold range after only 10 minutes?

10 minutes is not enough time for me to fiddle with mags, eye protection, spotting scope/binoculars, and whatever other sh*t I do before actually sending rounds downrange.

AGC Barnes is usually top/bottom of the hour - even if only one or two lanes are taken, the SRO I talked to said he tries to keep that schedule 'cause anyone showing up kinda expects it and times their arrival.

I get the rifle was in two parts, but the safety rule is "no handling during cold range". A lot better ways to deal with it than yelling at the guy.

Sounds like range Karen needs some "customer service" lessons before coming back.

Sheesh. 10 minutes?

wilcam47

Ultimate Member
    Apr 4, 2008
    Changed zip code
    I was just at Myrtle grove range (7-28-23) at 0845. there was already several cars in the parking lot and several of the lanes where taken. this isn't that unusual. There was this self appointed range officer at the far end. He was telling everyone to put their ears on 5 minutes before 9. then at 858 am he called the range hot. I just sat there playing on my phone for the last minute until my apple watch showed 9 am then I started testing my ar15 for faction. after 10 minutes this Karen calls for a cold range. everyone gets back and just chatting a little before going hot. there was a guy working on his rifle. it was is two parts and no way to fire. this guy starts screaming at the top of his lungs as him and saying no one called the range hot and belittling this guy. someone got tired and screamed the range is hot. we all went back to shooting and another 10 minutes this same jack ass calls for a cold again and started barking out range commands and actually calling out range numbers to see if they are cold! . Luckily I finished test firing my 2 ar15 uppers and my handgun so I was finished for the day. if I was going to be there longer this Karen and I would have had a few words and no it wasn't me he was yelling at. I guess this guy has no power at home so he has to come to the range and bark out orders to feel special. i guess we should be grateful he wasn't there blowing a whistle.
    Was it the infamous "Henry"? @lx1x knows...

Lafayette

Not that kind of doctor
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 8, 2021
    Maryland
    So did the “RSO” just call it cold and not then confirm it cold? Does Myrtle allow handling of firearms during a cold range condition?

AGC might be annoying at times, but the RSO’s generally do the right thing by calling for cold, giving everyone a minute or two to secure their gun, and only then confirming cold. Common courtesy is the allow a brief window to place on safe, remove mags, insert chamber flags (if required) and generally ensure safety.

Regardless he didn’t need to be a dick about it…

chilipeppermaniac

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    So did the “RSO” just call it cold and not then confirm it cold? Does Myrtle allow handling of firearms during a cold range condition?

AGC might be annoying at times, but the RSO’s generally do the right thing by calling for cold, giving everyone a minute or two to secure their gun, and only then confirming cold. Common courtesy is the allow a brief window to place on safe, remove mags, insert chamber flags (if required) and generally ensure safety.

Sounds like a well said and reasonable practice.

K31

"Part of that Ultra MAGA Crowd"
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 15, 2006
    AA county
    Touching a firearm when people are down range is not acceptable. I don't know any range that would tolerate that.

rickyp

Ultimate Member
    Sep 13, 2009

This guy was acting like he was in total control of the range, he was on some kind of power trip.

he was calling for a cold about every 10 minutes I was only there for 30 minutes and he called for two cold ranges.
    people are quite capable of calling for a cold range when they need to go down.

this person had no business acting like a dick. If he had an issues with what someone was doing all he had to do was walk over to their bench and explain the issue to them in a calm and respectful way, not stand there screaming at them.

rickyp

Ultimate Member
    Sep 13, 2009
    Touching a firearm when people are down range is not acceptable. I don't know any range that would tolerate that.
    No one was down range, everyone was back and talking. There are a few times handling a weapon during a cold is acceptable.

Lafayette

Not that kind of doctor
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 8, 2021
    Maryland
    No one was down range, everyone was back and talking. There are a few times handling a weapon during a cold is acceptable.
    Possibly. Definitely agree that there are times it is appropriate. Having never been to Myrtle I don’t know what is acceptable there and what the posted range rules are. When I’m shooting with friends that I know and trust to be squared away I don’t mind the occasional handling. Hell, they can have the rifle slung on them, and their pistol in their holster. I’d probably be a little bit more uncomfortable at a public range, where I don’t know people though, and that’s why I generally am OK with the agency rule of “no touching or handling an uncased firearm during a cease-fire.”

As for the being a dick part, I agree with you. They are better ways to handle it and screaming at people unless they’re doing something obviously unsafe like pointing a loaded gun at someone’s head.

Glad you were able to get your stuff done and get out of there.

BradMacc82

Ultimate Member
    Industry Partner
    Aug 17, 2011
    I stopped going not long before CrazyAl passed, haven't been back since.

Al and I did the RSO thing when we'd be there, but we tried to time it for every 25/30 minutes call it cold, and not be dicks unless someone was being blatantly unsafe and giving genuine reason to go that route - no real point in bringing hostilities into an active range IMO. If everyone was having fun and being safe, that's all that mattered to us.

One thing we always agreed on, if bodies are downrange, there's no handling of firearms at the tables - loading mags behind the tables by the wall/shack - ok, cool. Anything on a table/involving a firearm, nah man - wait for people to get off the lanes please - no offense meant, but if you were downrange and saw people you don't know handling firearms up range - how would you initially react?

Definitely agree, the behavior and approach could have drastically been better.

rickyp

Ultimate Member
    Sep 13, 2009
    Possibly. Definitely agree that there are times it is appropriate. Having never been to Myrtle I don’t know what is acceptable there and what the posted range rules are. When I’m shooting with friends that I know and trust to be squared away I don’t mind the occasional handling. Hell, they can have the rifle slung on them, and their pistol in their holster. I’d probably be a little bit more uncomfortable at a public range, where I don’t know people though, and that’s why I generally am OK with the agency rule of “no touching or handling an uncased firearm during a cease-fire.”

As for the being a dick part, I agree with you. They are better ways to handle it and screaming at people unless they’re doing something obviously unsafe like pointing a loaded gun at someone’s head.

Glad you were able to get your stuff done and get out of there.
    From what I saw, they had their ar15 upper open or top off looking at something I heard one say something about having a catastrophic failure, they looked like they had things under control so i don’t pay anymore attention to them. everyone was already back and just talking a bit. this Guy was just trying to exercise his self appointed authority.

rickyp

Ultimate Member
    Sep 13, 2009
    I stopped going not long before CrazyAl passed, haven't been back since.

Al and I did the RSO thing when we'd be there, but we tried to time it for every 25/30 minutes call it cold, and not be dicks unless someone was being blatantly unsafe and giving genuine reason to go that route - no real point in bringing hostilities into an active range IMO. If everyone was having fun and being safe, that's all that mattered to us.

One thing we always agreed on, if bodies are downrange, there's no handling of firearms at the tables - loading mags behind the tables by the wall/shack - ok, cool. Anything on a table/involving a firearm, nah man - wait for people to get off the lanes please - no offense meant, but if you were downrange and saw people you don't know handling firearms up range - how would you initially react?

Definitely agree, the behavior and approach could have drastically been better.
    It depends on what people are doing at the bench, cleaning a muzzle loader with barrel pointed up no issues, loading magazines no problems as lone as they are not being inserted into the weapon. Changing barrels not an issue putting a weapon away or bring out a new one no issue. Doing these things take time and doing them while cold keeps the range moving and shortens the time one takes to accomplish their task.
    the thing is the self appointed range offers have no power and they can easily be told to pack sand.

rickyp

Ultimate Member
    Sep 13, 2009
    Just because one is "right" doesn't mean one isn't being a d!ck about it!
    Standing there screaming at someone because you don’t like what they are doing is definitely being a dick. There are ways to handle something’s and screaming at a stranger at a shooting range is not the best way to handle things.

people like this Karen are not needed or wanted at the range.

TheBert

The Member
    MDS Supporter
    Aug 10, 2013
    Gaithersburg, Maryland

GS-12 syndrome.

paperwork351

no error code for stupid
    Mar 7, 2008
    Gaithersburg
    It's been years since I've to a range and I'm trying to think of the times it is acceptable. Is it locatation away from the benches?
    I don't know if I would like it behind me.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Mikeymike88

Latest threads

Top Bottom