• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • j_h_smith

Ultimate Member
    Jul 28, 2007
    Not bad for a new/not broken in barrel, not bad at all. What glass were you using?

BUFF7MM

☠Buff➐㎣☠
    Mar 4, 2009
    Garrett County
    Not bad for a new/not broken in barrel, not bad at all. What glass were you using?

Don't laugh, I had a Simmons 3-9X50 8-point here collecting dust, so the Sharps now wears it.
    4570 and I are planning a day during the week this week or next to do some chrono work so I'll post follow up data after that.

Uncle Duke

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 2, 2013
    Not Far Enough from the City
    Range trip today and the 25-45 did not let me down, I've got some more tweaking to do with loads. Tested for grouping today, but didn't get to run any through the labradar. Loads were from 26.5-27.7 with .3 separation between loads H335 was the tested powder, Hornady 87 grain SP pills. 27.1 was the best of the bunch with 26.8 running not far behind. I'm going to run again from 28.9-27.3 with .1 separation and see where I land at.
    I didn't get a picture of all the targets but I did get the 27.1 load, 100 yards for range, I don't think it did to bad for a brand new build. I always seem to get 1 flier in 5 shot groups.:o

Looks like you had a fun Sunday with that new build.

Nice shooting!

j_h_smith

Ultimate Member
    Jul 28, 2007
    Don't laugh, I had a Simmons 3-9X50 8-point here collecting dust, so the Sharps now wears it.
    4570 and I are planning a day during the week this week or next to do some chrono work so I'll post follow up data after that.

That's even more impressive. New barrel, new action, cheap glass, still shooting nice groups. Get rid of that flier and you can't complain.

j_h_smith

Ultimate Member
    Jul 28, 2007
    The fliers keep me humble. Always give me something to shoot for.;)

Where are the fliers coming from? First shot, last shot? Any reason for them or are they just happening? I would be very frustrated with such a group and then have that one flier.

BUFF7MM

☠Buff➐㎣☠
    Mar 4, 2009
    Garrett County
    You got what, 50 rounds through that tube?

Looks to me like a future deer will be....shall we say....somewhat less than pleased.

I shot exactly 50 thru it today, I figure it will come into itself pretty quick. Probably just in time for West Virginia opening day. I'll still take the 6.8 along so it doesn't get an attitude.:D

wbw2123

Nov 19, 2012
    Looks sweet and a nice first day at the range. I had myself convinced you were doing a 270-223 Ingram build.

BUFF7MM

☠Buff➐㎣☠
    Mar 4, 2009
    Garrett County
    Looks sweet and a nice first day at the range. I had myself convinced you were doing a 270-223 Ingram build.

:thumbsup: I figured it would be a good way to do a thread, seems to have been a good starter for a lot of searching and info hunting. I'm actually very excited to look at the numbers from 4570's lab radar too when we get to run it.

CombatAK

Hooligan #12
    Sep 1, 2015
    Cresaptown
    Hooligan helped handloads

Thanks to the Hooligans and their shenanigans, this is the result.

Attachments

• IMG_0528.jpg
      IMG_0528.jpg
      47.3 KB · Views: 118
    • IMG_0527.jpg
      IMG_0527.jpg
      50.6 KB · Views: 121

Snav

Feb 27, 2013
    Montgomery Co.
    I talked to Sierra after ordering my 25-45 about their #1610 which is designated as varminter but at 2900fps it should be great match. They even sent me some loads based on 6mm-45 for starting data. The one thing I give up is tweaking l would do with Bolt gun as I don't know how port pressures change and there's no room in Mag to seat at lands. My kit won't arrive for another two weeks!

BUFF7MM

☠Buff➐㎣☠
    Mar 4, 2009
    Garrett County
    I talked to Sierra after ordering my 25-45 about their #1610 which is designated as varminter but at 2900fps it should be great match. They even sent me some loads based on 6mm-45 for starting data. The one thing I give up is tweaking l would do with Bolt gun as I don't know how port pressures change and there's no room in Mag to seat at lands. My kit won't arrive for another two weeks!

My tweaking will happen with powder charges, I tried to seat a bullet to check jump an there no possible way to get it into an AR15 magazine. Chrono results should be along after tomorrow for some .1 grain separated loads I made up from data from my best group last go around.

BUFF7MM

☠Buff➐㎣☠
    Mar 4, 2009
    Garrett County
    So I added a Midwest Industries double chamber brake and my groups opened up just a tad but I wasn't suprised, last shoot my best groups were 26.8 and 27.1 grains of H335, this time I got my best groups at 26.9 and 27.0 the muzzle energy from my testing were 1253-1306 foot pounds, velocities were 2547-2600 from the test loads mentioned above and the 16" barrel so I'd say it's good to go for Maryland's hunting regulations. Target was 100 yards. .1 increment between loads 26.9-27.3
    I'm not done with it yet as Hornady has seen fit to discontinue the bullet I was testing with so its on to Sierra and Speer for the next round of loads.
    Below is a picture of the 26.9 grain group, not the best by far but I'm not going to kick it out of bed for eating crackers just yet.;)

Attachments

• image.jpg
      image.jpg
      63.6 KB · Views: 82
    Last edited:

Mike3888

Mike3888
    Feb 21, 2013
    Dundalk, Md-Mifflin,Pa
    Thanks for posting your findings Buff. I've tried a lot of 335 with 85 grain Sierra in 6x45, groups were ok but not great. Same in the 6.8. Tried some 322 and the groups closed right up. The 335 worked great with lighter bullets. That 25 be great deer medicine no dought.
    Enjoy.

BUFF7MM

☠Buff➐㎣☠
    Mar 4, 2009
    Garrett County
    Thanks for posting your findings Buff. I've tried a lot of 335 with 85 grain Sierra in 6x45, groups were ok but not great. Same in the 6.8. Tried some 322 and the groups closed right up. The 335 worked great with lighter bullets. That 25 be great deer medicine no dought.
    Enjoy.

I'm thinking of dropping to 75 grain pills with the 335 to see where that ends up.
    The designer said he really likes Ramshot x-terminator with the 87 grain pills, I might look that way also.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Millebar

Latest threads

Top Bottom