• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • JDove

Ultimate Member
    Jun 16, 2010
    Did paper work for AR lower receiver on Feb 22. Picked it up today, but the NICS transaction number apparently had expired, so I had to have a second NICS check done today to bring it home with me.

FoxtrotAviator

Apr 7, 2013
    Anyone get their Md designated collector back from MSP recently? Or know of anyone who has? I'm just trying to estimate when I may be getting mine. I'd like to make a couple more purchases before I Ship out.

mxrider

Former MSI Treasurer
    Aug 20, 2012
    Edgewater, MD
    Anyone get their Md designated collector back from MSP recently? Or know of anyone who has? I'm just trying to estimate when I may be getting mine. I'd like to make a couple more purchases before I Ship out.

I emailed Trooper Thompson last week and she said she was current up to 4/2/13 of received applications.

BAGGERZ13

Feb 14, 2013
    Did paperwork at Freestate on 4/19 and picked up today and for whoever asked about collectors letter it took about 4-5 weeks.

TheKidd

Feb 21, 2013
    Everyone keep asking your FFL to release on day 8... when this whole thing is over I can tell you this...the FFLs that follow the law will get ALL of my future business. FYI 9 purchases in 2013...way to go On Target....hey, you got any guns left over there?

Last edited:

Faderhaus

Mar 11, 2013
    This is straight from the ATF website and has been posted on the forum a few times. FYI

Q: If a State is acting as a NICS point of contact (POC) and State law has requirements regarding the amount of time that a licensee must wait before transferring a firearm after contacting the State, should the licensee comply with the State requirements, the Federal requirements, or both?

The licensee must comply with both State and Federal requirements.

Example: State D is acting as a POC for NICS checks. State law requires a background check prior to the transfer of any firearm. State law also requires the licensee to wait 10 days to get a response from the State. The licensee must contact the State POC for a NICS check and a State background check. The licensee must comply with both Federal and State law by waiting 10 days for a response prior to transferring the firearm. If the licensee has not received a response from the State after 10 days, he or she may transfer the firearm.

THAT'S RIGHT!, BUT.........The FFL CANNOT RELEASE A REGULATED FIREARM WITHOUT THE ND PAPERWORK in hand. And that comes from the MSP who does the NICS check.

manchumedic

Feb 23, 2013
    Paperwork filled out/faxed 3/9 and now it's in the bottomless pit of reviews. FML! Why did I have to get stationed in a communist state lol

marflyers

New gun owner
    May 4, 2013
    Ellicott City
    Shot new rifle at On Target today and I was surprised to see the number had they have for sale. Considering Glock 23 which I may be able to shoot before my 3/10 (in review) and 4/6 purchase. Clerks confirmed they are releasing with signed document.

Bang1964

May 3, 2013
    Ellicott City
    THAT'S RIGHT!, BUT.........The FFL CANNOT RELEASE A REGULATED FIREARM WITHOUT THE ND PAPERWORK in hand. And that comes from the MSP who does the NICS check.

If MSP says its ok and ATF is ok with it and I don't see On Target And Freestate releasing without legal advise.

Thomas Williams -State Police- <thomas.williams@maryland.gov>
    4:56 PM (0 minutes ago)

to xxxxx
    Mr. Thomas
    The current backlog for the firearms background check is 50 days. The law
    states that the state has seven days to complete the required checks. On
    the eighth day if a dealer has not heard from MSP the dealer may release
    the firearm without penalty.Most dealers have decided to hold onto the guns pending the completed
    checks and we applaud their patience.

The Maryland General Assembly took action by providing us additional
    manpower and technology to help alleviate the problem. But it takes time
    to hire qualified people and purchase the right software and equipment. We
    are working on it. The problem creating the backlog is a combination of
    record high volume gun sales, old technology and limited qualified
    personnel.
    If you have any additional questions please feel free to contact me
    directly."

Bang1964

May 3, 2013
    Ellicott City
    This email was sent when it was 50 days. Now it's 50+++++ and they are not working on weekends and no overtime. I really don't like the idea of releasing the firearms without NICS check but its MSP's decision not to give it out until they finish their background check. I was in review on 2/21 purchase and i got it on 5/3. I think they finished 2/24-2/25 4 days in 7 days. I have one for 3/4 in review again. That's 7 days so 2 more weeks from my calculation. 82 days

2/21 ND 5/3
    3/4 waiting in review
    3/18 waiting most likely will go to review
    3/29 picked up On Target 5/9 they can review all they want.

Whitty Whit

Mar 20, 2013

Man it does not get any clearer than the last sentence in their example.

"If the licensee has not received a response from the State after 10 days, he or she may transfer the firearm."

Lou45

R.I.P.
    Jun 29, 2010
    Carroll County
    While I understand what you are saying, that isn't truly the case. NICS requires 3 days for a response prior to the release of a firearm. MSP is the point of contact in MD for handguns. The 3 day period actually begins upon the submission to the MSP. The fact that MD has a stricter requirement, the Federal requirement is automatically met for that transaction after 7 days. While I understand those FFL's that choose to wait for the paperwork to come back with the NTN, they are not required to do so. This has been verbally confirmed with ATF reps at some FFL's. Some FFL's are releasing after 7 days with no other requirements (On Target). Some are releasing with a DC Letter, LEO's, Current Carry Permit, or a NICS run by FFL for Long Guns (Shooters Discount). Others are releasing to current customers that have recently received a ND and know their customer well from multiple purchases (Engage). These FFL's have had long discussions with their attorney's and have come to their own conclusions.

All the above are on the MLFDA Board Of Directors.

Actually, the ATF rep has told the FFL that they do not need the NTN to release. This was done by the auditor.

I received this word yesterday (Thursday 05/09/13) from Mike Franzyk (spell) head of ATF Baltimore Field Office.

BTW MXRider, I have a crisp new $100.00 bill with your name on it waiting for it's new home in my shop.:D

krztov

Jan 4, 2012
    Silver Spring
    Don't think freestate is, I went shooting there today and there was a laminated paper on the counter talking about it and how they won't be releasing early. I meant to take a photo to post here but spaced on it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Nelsonbencasey

Latest threads

Top Bottom