• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Matlack

Scribe
    Dec 15, 2008
    I actually got someone at the firearms registration office to answer the phone today. She told me she was not able to look up anyone's status and that none of the "sworn" were there. I asked if Ms. Brock was in today and she said NONE of the actual employees of the licensing division were there. There goes that whole "7-days a week 21 hours a day" nonsense.

This was true when the statement was made. I was told weeks ago that this ended, which was right after the statement was made, and I posted it in this thread. The 21 hours a day thing was when they allowed any MSP officer to collect overtime for working in the licensing division. Then they hired more employees for the licensing division and cut all overtime for the division. So its now only 5 days a week with normal business hours.

Faderhaus

Mar 11, 2013
    While I understand what you are saying, that isn't truly the case. NICS requires 3 days for a response prior to the release of a firearm. MSP is the point of contact in MD for handguns. The 3 day period actually begins upon the submission to the MSP. The fact that MD has a stricter requirement, the Federal requirement is automatically met for that transaction after 7 days. While I understand those FFL's that choose to wait for the paperwork to come back with the NTN, they are not required to do so. This has been verbally confirmed with ATF reps at some FFL's. Some FFL's are releasing after 7 days with no other requirements (On Target). Some are releasing with a DC Letter, LEO's, Current Carry Permit, or a NICS run by FFL for Long Guns (Shooters Discount). Others are releasing to current customers that have recently received a ND and know their customer well from multiple purchases (Engage). These FFL's have had long discussions with their attorney's and have come to their own conclusions.

I understand what you are saying and I don't entirely disagree, however, the Law is the Law and if the FFL doesn't have either the NTN Number or the product in stock during an ATF Audit, they are screwed.

And it's Anyone's guess when the ATF will show up unannounced at the front door - particularly in the current atmosphere here in MD. So, basically it's a crap shoot.

BTW, did you ever figure out the "Multiple submissions by the same FFL" scenario? I'm kinda curious as I still have 3 more "hostages".:sad20:

Faderhaus

Mar 11, 2013
    Oh, and as an aside:

If all FFL's followed the ATF's guidelines and not the MSPs, would we really be having threads like this one? LOL

mxrider

Former MSI Treasurer
    Aug 20, 2012
    Edgewater, MD
    I understand what you are saying and I don't entirely disagree, however, the Law is the Law and if the FFL doesn't have either the NTN Number or the product in stock during an ATF Audit, they are screwed.

And it's Anyone's guess when the ATF will show up unannounced at the front door - particularly in the current atmosphere here in MD. So, basically it's a crap shoot.

Actually, the ATF rep has told the FFL that they do not need the NTN to release. This was done by the auditor.

BTW, did you ever figure out the "Multiple submissions by the same FFL" scenario? I'm kinda curious as I still have 3 more "hostages".:sad20:

Not sure I understand your question here. Please explain further.

Faderhaus

Mar 11, 2013
    Actually, the ATF rep has told the FFL that they do not need the NTN to release. This was done by the auditor.

Not sure I understand your question here. Please explain further.

You wrote me with this:

You said you received a ND on an Ar-15 but were still waiting on a handgun which had been purchased prior to the AR. Were they both purchased from the same ffl and when did you purchase each of them? I have a possible answer as to how this could have happened.

I sent a response, but I don't know if you actually read it, LOL, because I did not get a reply to my answers I gave.

I'm headed over to the range to shoot. I'll be back later this afternoon.

mikey6480

Aug 6, 2011
    After my FFL's prodding of Rose at MSP on Thursday 5/9 about my review, I FINALLY GOT my ND on Friday 3/10 - 73 days after they received the paperwork. :party29: On the return paperwork, there was a yellow post-it note with the date 3/7. I asked what it was and why it was there. The guy at the FFL said that it was the day that it SHOULD have been approved. I said "and that was going to help, how?" He laughed and said, "it doesn't help to get the gun any sooner, but it does keep us in the loop for knowing when it should normally be ND and using that date to 'track the application' in house." :thumbsup:

I didn't want to bust anyone's cahones at the FFL, as they have all been very cooperative and understanding. They did everything they could to release the gun, but could not before they got the NICS number back from MSP. Anyone who violates this is putting their FFL License in SERIOUS JEOPARDY.

A lot of people think that they can "work around" the MSP review and get their regulated firearms sooner, but listen up:

Reason for this is simple (and it really doesn't have much to do with MSP):

Say the FFL releases the regulated firearm to you BEFORE they receive he NICS number back from the MSP. The Almighty ATF comes into their store and does an audit................Whoops! Houston - we have a problem. And these boys are as serious as a heart attack. They come into your store and are all about business----NO JOKE. Your paperwork better be in order and check out with your inventory, or you are in deep sh*t!

ATF says, "Where's the NICS number for the handgun that was sold?" UH oh! :shocking:
    No NICS number and no regulated firearm in the store. Guess what?

:nono: NO more FFL, no second chances! FFL Loses their License (ATF closes the store and Locks the doors. (and the FFL is fined and possibly jailed). That's before they come after you. That's the LAW and if you believe ANYONE that tells you that you can sign a waiver - they are telling you wrong! It's called Breaking the Law.

BUT WAIT! There are a couple of "workarounds" :

1) Get your delegate to start a petition to get the NICS Review responsibility removed from the MSP and into the hands of the FFLs. (good luck with that) :banghead: or;
    2) Move to another State. :banghead:

It's sad, but true. (and I STILL have 3 more in review right now) :(

The ATF's lawyers disagree with what you wrote above. That is why several FFLs have already started releasing firearms. The "waiver" that OnTarget is having people sign has nothing to do with the actual FFL license and everything to do with protecting themselves from civil litigation in the event that someone uses their gun to commit a crime.

mxrider

Former MSI Treasurer
    Aug 20, 2012
    Edgewater, MD
    You wrote me with this:

You said you received a ND on an Ar-15 but were still waiting on a handgun which had been purchased prior to the AR. Were they both purchased from the same ffl and when did you purchase each of them? I have a possible answer as to how this could have happened.

I sent a response, but I don't know if you actually read it, LOL, because I did not get a reply to my answers I gave.

I'm headed over to the range to shoot. I'll be back later this afternoon.

I'm sorry. I thought I had responded. What I was trying to find out is if the FFL had run a NICS for the AR on his own and hence why they may have released that prior to the paperwork coming back. Based on your answers, it sounds as if the paperwork came back prior to that release of the AR.

jkeys

Jan 30, 2013
    I'm a designated collector. My first purchase this year took 8 weeks. I am going on 11 weeks for second purchase this year. Then I have two others that are currently at 7 weeks, and my wife has one that is at 6 weeks.

This is ridiculous.

Olemac

Apr 20, 2013
    Near Salisbury
    I find it hard to understand why the process could not be expedited if an individual has just received a ND 30 days prior. To perform the process in it's entirety seems redundant to me.

AJRB

Ultimate Member
    May 8, 2013
    Wooohooo!! Finally!! I'm sure glad I purchased at ON TARGET!!
    3/11 Submission currently still in review.
    Left OT with my S&W M&P 9mm in hand after signing the mentioned waiver. Along with a box of 9mm for under 20 bucks and a free hour of range time :) Bravo OT Bravo!!!

Whitty Whit

Mar 20, 2013
    This is straight from the ATF website and has been posted on the forum a few times. FYI

Q: If a State is acting as a NICS point of contact (POC) and State law has requirements regarding the amount of time that a licensee must wait before transferring a firearm after contacting the State, should the licensee comply with the State requirements, the Federal requirements, or both?

The licensee must comply with both State and Federal requirements.

Example: State D is acting as a POC for NICS checks. State law requires a background check prior to the transfer of any firearm. State law also requires the licensee to wait 10 days to get a response from the State. The licensee must contact the State POC for a NICS check and a State background check. The licensee must comply with both Federal and State law by waiting 10 days for a response prior to transferring the firearm. If the licensee has not received a response from the State after 10 days, he or she may transfer the firearm.

FoxtrotAviator

Apr 7, 2013
    Wooohooo!! Finally!! I'm sure glad I purchased at ON TARGET!!
    3/11 Submission currently still in review.
    Left OT with my S&W M&P 9mm in hand after signing the mentioned waiver. Along with a box of 9mm for under 20 bucks and a free hour of range time :) Bravo OT Bravo!!!

I ALMOST BOUGHT MY NEW .40 at ON TARGET!! I SO WISH I HAD.!!!! I actually went shooting there that afternoon , But when I saw the actual FNH pistol I wanted at A&D that morning, I just thought " Hey it's in stock, I'll just grab it here . There is no difference"
    Had I known anything about the wait in the first place, or that On Target would be the first major FFL to actually GROW A PAIR, and follow the law...I'd have certainly given my business to them. IN fact I'm going to tell the guys at A&d "remember that baretta Nano I was going to buy here next week? I guess it looks like OT will get my money instead"
    But after all this, I bet The stock of guns at OT will be totally WIPED OUT by the time I could get over there.

FoxtrotAviator

Apr 7, 2013
    I actually got someone at the firearms registration office to answer the phone today. She told me she was not able to look up anyone's status and that none of the "sworn" were there. I asked if Ms. Brock was in today and she said NONE of the actual employees of the licensing division were there. There goes that whole "7-days a week 21 hours a day" nonsense.

You know.. This is like the third time I've read about one of us on this thread who has Called MSP on a weekend...NO ONE. In Lic . Division..NO troopers or sworn personnel ...NO FULL TIME personnel even ,......and I've seen probably THREE NEWS REPORTS on TV Interviewing the same official from MSP , standing out in front of the barracks saying " We are working 7 days a week 21 hours a day. Only reason we aren't working 24 hours a day is because many of the databases are shut down...blah blah blah..LIAR!!!! "WHO'S WE??"
    I'd LOVE for an interviewer to say..." Oh what about when we called all weekend long and could only reach some TEMP??I wonder if they even have ANY Troopers or other sworn personnel working overnight hours?
    Ok...up until NOW...I WAS of the opinion ” Hey the MSP is doing all they can....only following orders....it's the State Lawmakers to blame"
    But now...SCREW THAT!!!......THE MSP is OBVIOUSLY NOT "Putting forth a valiant effort to assure its fellow Marylanders their 2nd amendment rights in a timely fashion"
    THE MSP IS LYING TO THE PEOPLE!!! If you don't classify that as lying .......how about SEVERELY MISLEADING the public as to their actual efforts.
    I APPLAUD any and all FFL/DEALERS who will release on day 8 . I hope others will join in. Who cares if the press finds out about hundreds of regulated firearms being released without the full MSP 17 database redundant load of crap waste of money? ...Because I'll tell you this. If the press does get ahold of some news like that? Well I bet we will see the State of Maryland figure out how to catch up on applications! They'll put funding where it's needed..WHEN it's needed, and actually DO what they are telling the press they are doing now.
    80+ days to get a background check? That's absolutely embarrassing .
    Wouldn't it be great if Maryland finally realized that maybe, ...just MAYBE it's time to join up and start working with NICS .....Like just about the whole rest of the Nation is? .
    ...think I just popped a blood vessel

1st

May 6, 2013
    Gun Shack, Inc in Mt Airy is holding firm and waiting for NICS number from MSP. I guess im in this for the long haul.

Same with Atlantic Guns. They are waiting for the results of the law suit. Wish I bought at On Target.
    Did go shooting today though, just not with my own gun... :envy:

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Nelsonbencasey

Latest threads

Top Bottom