• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Dracolithix

Apr 17, 2022
    Hagerstown, MD
    Hello friends!

I'm moving to Hagerstown, Maryland from Ohio in May. I'm intending to bring a Sig Sauer P365XL, FN FNS-9, and a Springfield XDS-9. It is my understanding that any guns brought into the state must be registered with MDSP within 90 days of establishing residency, including these listed?

I've been doing research into MD's gun laws for a couple months now, it's kind of a mess.

Looking forward to interacting with everyone. :)

308Scout

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 27, 2020
    Washington County
    Welcome aboard, future WashCo neighbor. Only "regulated firearms" have the requirement that you note when moving into the state. Handguns are considered regulated.

https://mdsp.maryland.gov/Organizat...censingDivision/Registration/NewResident.aspx

As part of the Firearms Safety Act of 2013 effective October 1, 2013, a person who moves into Maryland with the intent of becoming a resident shall register all regulated firearms with the Secretary of the Maryland Department of State Police within 90 days after establishing residency.

The new resident registration shall include the make, model, manufacturer’s serial number, caliber, type, barrel length, finish, and country of origin for each regulated firearms. The registration system is accessible online through MyLicense.

The electronic registration fee will be $15, regardless of the number of firearms registered.

TheOriginalMexicanBob

Ultimate Member
    BANNED!!!
    Jul 2, 2017
    Sun City West, AZ
    I'm bailing on MD around September for Free America. My wife put it best..."I'm so over here." Our house goes on the market early next month...looking forward to leaving MD in the rear view mirror. Days like today with snow and sleet (in mid-April!) only reinforces that.

Dracolithix

Apr 17, 2022
    Hagerstown, MD
    I'm bailing on MD around September for Free America. My wife put it best..."I'm so over here." Our house goes on the market early next month...looking forward to leaving MD in the rear view mirror. Days like today with snow and sleet (in mid-April!) only reinforces that.
    That's a sentiment I've seen a lot. I took this job as my first job out-of-college, so I'm going to be here for at least two years. After that, we'll see how I'm feeling. I'm definitely used to the snow, coming from Ohio.

TheOriginalMexicanBob

Ultimate Member
    BANNED!!!
    Jul 2, 2017
    Sun City West, AZ
    That's a sentiment I've seen a lot. I took this job as my first job out-of-college, so I'm going to be here for at least two years. After that, we'll see how I'm feeling. I'm definitely used to the snow, coming from Ohio.

I've lived in MD my entire life...there's a lot to MD that's nice but over time it's degraded. It's not just the gun laws but the quality of life in general...high taxation...over-regulation...my own aging and health concerns. Different counties have different issues but even Frederick County where I am is becoming more Montgomery County all the time...MoCo transplants moving here and demanding the same services and benefits they had there requires ever increasing taxes from those long-time FredCo residents that don't have the incomes MoCo transplants have. Frederick isn't Montgomery County yet but the future is clearly heading that way.

MD is a one-Party state and the party in charge has no problems flexing that power over we peons.

Michigander08

ridiculous and psychotic
    MDS Supporter
    May 29, 2017
    I've lived in MD my entire life...there's a lot to MD that's nice but over time it's degraded. It's not just the gun laws but the quality of life in general...high taxation...over-regulation...my own aging and health concerns. Different counties have different issues but even Frederick County where I am is becoming more Montgomery County all the time...MoCo transplants moving here and demanding the same services and benefits they had there requires ever increasing taxes from those long-time FredCo residents that don't have the incomes MoCo transplants have. Frederick isn't Montgomery County yet but the future is clearly heading that way.

MD is a one-Party state and the party in charge has no problems flexing that power over we peons.
    Please make sure you don't take all SS money before I retire. :D

Dracolithix

Apr 17, 2022
    Hagerstown, MD

I'm sure you have plenty of stories to tell, and an interesting perspective. Why do you think they're moving from Montgomery to Frederick?

TheOriginalMexicanBob

Ultimate Member
    BANNED!!!
    Jul 2, 2017
    Sun City West, AZ
    I'm sure you have plenty of stories to tell, and an interesting perspective. Why do you think they're moving from Montgomery to Frederick?

MoCo residents have been moving to Frederick since at least the 1960s to escape the taxation and welfare state that Montgomery County is and has been...my parents did in 1966 doing from Gaithersburg to here. MoCo residents in general enjoy a higher income than other areas due to the medical/technology/government base there and get many services over time other areas don't generally have...at least not to the same level. They move over the county line to Frederick and commute to their high paying jobs but still want the same services and benefits they got from MoCo...and can afford it. Covid simply made it worse...people can work very effectively remotely (depending on the job) so they want to live where the costs of that living are less. Look at Urbana...it's Montgomery County North.

Frederick has long been a bedroom community for DC. This was back in the '70s so the stats have probably changes (Frederick has grown a lot!)...but at that time it was said that 70% of the working population of Frederick County was heading south on I-270 every morning for work. A significant portion probably still does but demographics have changed...the population has grown here plus transplants from MoCo and B-More have moved in as well. Along with that comes higher taxes...more crime...more development (not necessarily a bad thing)...and the county looks at everything as a fund-raiser for it.

TheOriginalMexicanBob

Ultimate Member
    BANNED!!!
    Jul 2, 2017
    Sun City West, AZ
    We're relocating to AZ. We already own a home there we purchased pre-Covid. We've been renting it out and now we're going to have it remodeled to suit us so it's move-in ready the way we want it. We're looking at it as the last home we'll have (pre-big dirt nap anyway)...so it's gonna be everything we want for retirement.

Our home goes on the market in about three weeks...here's hoping someone pays too much for it! ;)

Dracolithix

Apr 17, 2022
    Hagerstown, MD
    We're relocating to AZ. We already own a home there we purchased pre-Covid. We've been renting it out and now we're going to have it remodeled to suit us so it's move-in ready the way we want it. We're looking at it as the last home we'll have (pre-big dirt nap anyway)...so it's gonna be everything we want for retirement.

Our home goes on the market in about three weeks...here's hoping someone pays too much for it! ;)
    Haha, good luck my friend! I hope you like the warm summers!

bcr229

FFL/SOT
    Jul 15, 2011
    Inwood, WV
    Welcome from Inwood, WV about 30 mins due south of you down I-81.

I was born in Annapolis, grew up in Severna Park, and left MD right after I graduated college (the first time) because I knew 30 years ago it was getting bad.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Scot2024

Latest threads

Top Bottom