• Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • 9of00

I've got both... a 7 shot 870 Tactical and two 590s (a 6 shot and a 9 shot). I prefer the Mossberg platform for the user serviceable parts but prefer the feel of the 870 when mounted. The geometry of the thinner, straighter wrist of the 870 stock feels better and points better for me while the Mossberg feels clunkier. That said however, the fact that the 870 has so many parts that need the attention of a gunsmith turns me off. If I were forced to choose just one it'd be the Mossberg.

protegeV

Ready to go
    Apr 3, 2011
    TX
    yeah, so which one?

I've got the itch to buy a new shotty. I already have a pistol grip stock for a mossy, but I got a "sign" at work the other day seemingly telling me to go for the 870. Decisions, decisions...

august1410

Marcas Registradas
    Apr 10, 2009
    New Bern, NC
    I have had both. I have also had the Winchester 1200 and the Ithaca 37.

If I had the money, I would get another Ithaca. The LAPD used them for decades and would swear by them. Mine was excellent and I regret selling it.

There will always be at least one Remington 870 in my house, though. Right now, my daughter is using it and I am using my Browning Light Twelve.

rico903

Ultimate Member
    May 2, 2011
    yeah, so which one?

I've got the itch to buy a new shotty. I already have a pistol grip stock for a mossy, but I got a "sign" at work the other day seemingly telling me to go for the 870. Decisions, decisions...

Have both. A 1970's Wingmaster 12ga and a 1970's Mossy 20ga. Had a 12ga Mossy but sold it. To my tastes the 870 just feels so much better. Love the grip and the smooth action and the way it comes up. The Mossys feel clunky to me but the safety is located in a much better place for ease of use. I think for durability, the Mossys are probably a better gun. More M&P seem to use them than the Rems. If I was to buy a Rem I would look for an older one. The new stuff is junk IMO. The Gun Shop has a few older 870's. On the other hand, another trip to Cecil County will get you a nice Mossy at a very good price. Have I muddied things up enough for you?:)

protegeV

Ready to go
    Apr 3, 2011
    TX
    Yeah, clear as mud. Odd, i was just at tgs yesterday and I saw a boatload of Mossberg but no 870s:shrug:

I thing I want a 590a1 with the ghost ring sights.

The ksg they had was tempting, but too much $$$$ right now.

august1410

Marcas Registradas
    Apr 10, 2009
    New Bern, NC
    If you find an Express, go with the older ones. I had a 1987 model (the first year for the Express) and the only difference between it and the next model up was the finish. Newer Expresses have a plastic trigger guard.

Uncle Duke

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 2, 2013
    Not Far Enough from the City
    Yeah, clear as mud. Odd, i was just at tgs yesterday and I saw a boatload of Mossberg but no 870s:shrug:

It will never be clear. This debate is timeless. It has existed seemingly since Christ was a carpenter.

I own a couple of Mossberg 500's and a couple of older Remington 870 Wingmasters. I like both models, but for different reasons. I also have a Winchester Model 12, and have used all 3 models extensively.

As a working gun? For me, Mossberg. Brush and briars and thorns and mud and rain and snow and barbed wire are all hunting realities, if that's your application. It WILL encounter all of these at some time or other. And it will get beat up if used hard. It will also function when you need it to. It won't have the cosmetics. Yeah the fore end will rattle. Think looser workmanship. Or think a desirable slop in tolerances. You're right either way. But the shotgun will work when you need it to. And so will an 870.

The much discussed safety location issue? Me personally, a safety ideally belongs on the tang where Mossberg puts it. Especially with gloved or cold hands. Where this location issue becomes apparent and can get a bit interesting is when a rabbit is rolling out of the brush, your cold hands don't have their normal feel or dexterity, you're always switching shotguns, and your safety is on the tang on the Mossberg, at the rear of the trigger guard on the Remington, and is smaller than either and at the front of the trigger guard on the Winchester. You'd need to live that experience to fully appreciate what I'm trying to describe. To a one gun guy, you get used to one safety location, and the point becomes largely moot. Also worth mention I believe that, for a defensive shotgun? You want to maintain instinctive reaction if you're used to one model or the other of the "big 2", and you want to build instinctive and consistent reaction if you aren't. Now in this regard, familiarity ain't about rabbits, and fumbling when you can't afford the luxury can mean a whole different degree of bad.

Funny too how things run in cycles. 50 years ago, the Remington 870 was in many ways responsible for the demise of the production of the Winchester Model 12. Once also manufactured in high volume, Winchester couldn't build the 12 at a price that was cost competitive with the upstart Model 870. Fast forward to Today, and you now see the newest iteration of the 870 Express. Not the quality of the older Wingmaster. Why? Because of Mossberg's 500 series primarily.

Either shotgun will work well for you functionally. That's the good news. Clear as mud on the rest, but choose what matters most and looks and feels best to you. Fit and finish....safety location....how it points....a working no frills gun, or nothing more abusive in its future than a round of clays?

Chocolate and vanilla....Good luck!

rico903

Ultimate Member
    May 2, 2011

Did you look in the back room? Two or three there a couple of weeks ago.

TomisinMd

Ultimate Member
    Mar 11, 2013
    Elkton, Md

590a1 is a tank! if you do, the Ontario M9 bayonet is a nice addition. :party29:

Attachments

• 590a1.JPG
      590a1.JPG
      35.6 KB · Views: 202

Mule

Just Mule
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 14, 2013

590a1 is a tank! if you do, the Ontario M9 bayonet is a nice addition. :party29:

590a1 is a great gun. I really like the Ghost Rings, and you can't argue with 8+1.

I'd definitely recommend replacing the stock furniture with the Mossberg set, though.

The factory stock is comfortable, but the grip is thin, so it may not fill your hand. The factory forend is also thin, and has some play in it.

Mossberg stock is adjustable, and allows you to reduce overall length by about two inches. The grip angle is a little steeper than the gentle curve of the factory grip, and the geometry allows you to approximate a pistol grip, while still keeping your hand in the proper position to use the safety. (AR-style stocks with pistol grip place your hand far lower, so manipulating the tang safety becomes difficult) Plus, the Magpul stock also has locations where a QD adapter can be installed, allowing the use of a sling with QD connectors.

The Magpul forend is MUCH more substantial, has unobtrusive (but effective) hand stops at both front and rear, and has virtually no play. These features combine to make a rock-solid grip, allowing for easier and more efficient manipulation of the weapon. Additionally, the Mossberg Forends have MOE or M-Lok slots for accessory attachment.

If you buy the standard model, purchase the Magpul items separately, and install them yourself, you should be able to save some money. (as opposed to buying Mossberg's Magpul Edition 590a1)

senetor24

Mar 4, 2013
    I like the 870 because it fit me better. I would suggest shooting both and go with the one that fits the best.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Nelsonbencasey

Latest threads

Top Bottom