• Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • gridybrah

May 12, 2013
    hello all. i purchased my first mosin nagant on monday and went to work removing the cosmoline. as i was getting ready to assemble my rifle, i decided to be an idiot and tinkered around with the bolt. long story short, the bolt ended up pinching my finger and i quickly pulled the safety knob looking thing back as hard as possible to release my finger... well, i went to place the bolt back into the rifle, but noticed that the bolt looked different.. almost as if it was recocked.. i attempted to cock the bolt back, but the thing fell apart.. i spent a good amount of time doing my best to reassemble the damn thing and finally put my rifle back together.

anyways, i tried to work the safety, but it would simply cock the bolt and the firing pin (sorry if it doesnt make much sense, im new to guns). basically if i attempted to work the safety, the firing pin would be locked as if i had chambered a round.. if i pull the trigger, the firing pin disengages.. did i do something wrong when i was reassembling my bolt? the safety was working when i tried it out at the store...

iH8DemLibz

When All Else Fails.
    Apr 1, 2013
    Libtardistan
    Hold the bolt body and pull back on the cocking knob and rotate the cocking knob until it locks back in place where it should be.

It will slide into the receiver then.

Bet you won't do that again.

That bolt is a horrible concept.

The russians are known for their simplicity in design, but the Mosin-Nagant was not designed entirely by the Russians. They simply signed off on the design.

gridybrah

May 12, 2013

i followed the instructions in the video, yet the problem still persists. i forgot to mention that when i was putting the rifle back together, the pin that holds the trigger fell out and i put it back.. perhaps that has something to do with it?

Hold the bolt body and pull back on the cocking knob and rotate the cocking knob until it locks back in place where it should be.

It will slide into the receiver then.

Bet you won't do that again.

That bolt is a horrible concept.

The russians are known for their simplicity in design, but the Mosin-Nagant was not designed entirely by the Russians. They simply signed off on the design.

im not too sure about the board rules on cussing, but the bolt is confusing as ****!!! im done messing with the bolt. NEVER AGAIN.

mopar92

Official MDS Court Jester
    May 5, 2011
    Taneytown
    Location? I can help if you're in Carroll. Also as far as engaging the safety. When chambering a round. Place the bolt forward and to the right to the first stop. Pull trigger it drops the bolt and uncocks the firing pin. Then you can pull the firing pin back to recock it.

j8064

Garrett Co Hooligan #1
    Feb 23, 2008
    Deep Creek
    i followed the instructions in the video, yet the problem still persists. i forgot to mention that when i was putting the rifle back together, the pin that holds the trigger fell out and i put it back.. perhaps that has something to do with it?

im not too sure about the board rules on cussing, but the bolt is confusing as ****!!! im done messing with the bolt. NEVER AGAIN.

Mosin bolts can be frustrating at first. Take a deep breath, follow the steps and do it again.

gridybrah

May 12, 2013
    Location? I can help if you're in Carroll. Also as far as engaging the safety. When chambering a round. Place the bolt forward and to the right to the first stop. Pull trigger it drops the bolt and uncocks the firing pin. Then you can pull the firing pin back to recock it.

i am in howard county. i know how to engage the safety, but when i go to do it, the firing pin becomes charged and when i pull the trigger from the "safety" position, it does not block the trigger. when i take the safety off, i pull the trigger and the rifle "fires"

Mosin bolts can be frustrating at first. Take a deep breath, follow the steps and do it again.

i may save it for another day. my fingers are torn up as hell right now lol

rem87062597

Annapolis, MD
    Jul 13, 2012
    i will have a picture uploaded tomorrow.

When you have a picture up we can definitely help. Mosin bolts are easy once you understand them but incomprehensible and dangerous until you do understand them, we all pinched our fingers pretty bad when we were first starting out (and many of us still do from time to time).

AC MkIII

Feb 18, 2011
    Calvert
    i am in howard county. i know how to engage the safety, but when i go to do it, the firing pin becomes charged and when i pull the trigger from the "safety" position, it does not block the trigger. when i take the safety off, i pull the trigger and the rifle "fires"

This sounds right to me. The best thing for a Mosin is to not use the safety. Leave the bolt open or just unload it. If your not hunting with it there is no need to leave it loaded or use the safety. JMHO :)

HoCoShooter

Ultimate Member
    Feb 25, 2009
    Howard County
    It's a hell of a lot easier to just pull the trigger and remove the entire bolt assembly than it is to use the safety. That's what I do at the range when it's cold, pull the bolt assembly out and drop a empty chamber flag in there.

iH8DemLibz

When All Else Fails.
    Apr 1, 2013
    Libtardistan
    I removed the bolt on a couple of Mosin's and this happened.

Be careful.

It's good to be a Machinist.

IMG_3845.jpg

IMG_3846.jpg

jodavk

Nov 30, 2010
    My first bolt disassembly/assembly was a challenge until I pulled the bolt from another and used it as a guide; then re-assembly was easy. Perhaps you have a friend nearby with an assembled bolt, you could use as a guide.

gridybrah

May 12, 2013
    picture of the bolt after taking out of the rifle.

20130613121759.jpg

i plan on never using the safety, but i just want to make sure nothing is wrong with my bolt.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    JackW

Latest threads

Top Bottom