Monumental Rifle and Pistol CMP John C Garand/Springfield/Vintage Matches at AGC

The #1 community for Gun Owners of the Northeast

Member Benefits:

• No ad networks!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Threeband

The M1 Does My Talking
    Dec 30, 2006
    Carroll County
    I think there is a High Power Position Practice/Clinic out at AGC next Sunday at 8AM? Is that correct?

That's the regular practice for Monumental's High Power Team.

http://associatedgunclubs.org/pages/agc_calendar/view.php?calendar_id=4865&

http://associatedgunclubs.org/pages/agc_calendar/view.php?calendar_id=4866&

I almost turned around 1/2 way to AGC due to the fog & drizzle.
    Glad I didn't!!!

Who'd a thought it would have turned into a great morning for shooting!
    And donuts. :D

And you went home covered with medals and glory.

The first rule of winning is to show up!

Good shooting.

stu929

M1 Addict
    Jan 2, 2012
    Hagerstown

Threeband

The M1 Does My Talking
    Dec 30, 2006
    Carroll County
    This position practice is a team thing. I'm a member of Monumental, but I'm not on the High Power team (I have other commitments). DrmSparks is on the team.

It looks like after the team position practice, they head over to the 200 yard range to practice. I'm sure they don't close the range, so other AGC members can be shooting at the same time.

The rule for guests at the AGC is they have to be supervised by a member, who can't shoot while the guest is shooting. Member and guest have to share a position, and take turns shooting. I'm sure you could shoot under those conditions.

You could also come to the Monumental meeting this Saturday, the 15th at 2:00. It's in the building by the trap range, up the gravel road from the 200 yard range. You could join and get your own range badge that same day.

stu929

M1 Addict
    Jan 2, 2012
    Hagerstown
    This position practice is a team thing. I'm a member of Monumental, but I'm not on the High Power team (I have other commitments). DrmSparks is on the team.

It looks like after the team position practice, they head over to the 200 yard range to practice. I'm sure they don't close the range, so other AGC members can be shooting at the same time.

The rule for guests at the AGC is they have to be supervised by a member, who can't shoot while the guest is shooting. Member and guest have to share a position, and take turns shooting. I'm sure you could shoot under those conditions.

You could also come to the Monumental meeting this Saturday, the 15th at 2:00. It's in the building by the trap range, up the gravel road from the 200 yard range. You could join and get your own range badge that same day.

Do you still need an agc badge or can you just join monumental

Threeband

The M1 Does My Talking
    Dec 30, 2006
    Carroll County
    Club membership is separate.

Some people do belong to more than one club, just because they want to participate in those clubs. They only get one range badge, though.

There may be some old timers who maintain a club membership for old time's sake, but no longer shoot, and thus don't buy a range badge. I'm sure this is uncommon, but I seem to recall Marriottsville Muzzleloaders had a few "Emeritus" members.

Some clubs have their own range facilities elsewhere. I know Twelfth Precinct Pistol Club has their own range near Annapolis, and I think some of their people do all their shooting there, and don't bother with getting the $150 AGC range badge they'll never use.

But most people belong to one club, and that membership makes them eligible to buy a range badge.

The range is the common property of the clubs, which are all independent. To be eligible to buy a $150 annual range badge, you have to be a member of any one or more of the associated clubs.

http://www.associatedgunclubs.org/clubs.html

If you just want access to the range, you could try the Baltimore Rifle Club, which has no club activities. It seems to be purely a vehicle for getting a range badge.

http://www.associatedgunclubs.org/baltimorerifle.html

Drmsparks

Old School Rifleman
    Jun 26, 2007
    PG county
    The Maryland Rifle Club runs about 4 of these matches every year at the AGC range.

More then four next year. They have a really nice COF (slow sitting instead of rapid prone, which is easier on the bolt guys). If you score and pull you can get it all done in two relays and your definitely on the road by noon.

rdc

Ultimate Member
    Dec 3, 2010
    Middlefingurton
    Bolts Rock. Thanks for spotting my shots the other day. I forgot to tell you Saturday. I hopefully will be buying myself a scope for Christmas.

Bolts Rock

Living in Free America!
    Apr 8, 2012
    Northern Alabama
    Bolts Rock. Thanks for spotting my shots the other day. I forgot to tell you Saturday. I hopefully will be buying myself a scope for Christmas.

You're welcome RDC, my pleasure to help someone shoot well.

Research scopes before buying, they are a buy once cry once unless you get a killer deal.

Threeband

The M1 Does My Talking
    Dec 30, 2006
    Carroll County
    Pansies! ;) Rapid sitting with a bolt is a piece of cake, easier than rapid prone and you saw me rock that Saturday. :rockon:

Even so, they discontinued their matches entirely in 2010 because not enough people were willing to do the rapid fire. When they resumed in 2011 with all-slowfire matches, they immediately got big turnouts.

You do see some interesting old vintage rifles (such as a Vetterli) that you probably wouldn't see if there were rapid fire stages. Haven't seen any single-shots though.

Didn't you say you have a 71/84? Very cool rifle...

BigSteve57

Ultimate Member
    Feb 14, 2011
    I for one really like the rapid fire. It gets the ole' adrenalin pumpin'. Of course, that happens anyway as soon as I hear "Pits take over"...

Bolts Rock

Living in Free America!
    Apr 8, 2012
    Northern Alabama
    Even so, they discontinued their matches entirely in 2010 because not enough people were willing to do the rapid fire. When they resumed in 2011 with all-slowfire matches, they immediately got big turnouts.

You do see some interesting old vintage rifles (such as a Vetterli) that you probably wouldn't see if there were rapid fire stages. Haven't seen any single-shots though.

Didn't you say you have a 71/84? Very cool rifle...

I do indeed have a 71/84 and it needs a lot of work. I'm thinking of heading to Sarco after I get my annual bonus, they had a ton of parts recently.

stu929

M1 Addict
    Jan 2, 2012
    Hagerstown
    I do indeed have a 71/84 and it needs a lot of work. I'm thinking of heading to Sarco after I get my annual bonus, they had a ton of parts recently.

I have been dying to go up to sarco. I want one of the Argentinian Sistemas but I don't have my C&R. Keep kicking around applying for mine.....

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Mikeymike88

Latest threads

Top Bottom