Monumental Rifle and Pistol CMP John C Garand/Springfield/Vintage Matches at AGC

The #1 community for Gun Owners of the Northeast

Member Benefits:

• No ad networks!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Jack Ryan

Ultimate Member
    Jul 29, 2011
    People’s Republic of Maryland
    Drmsparks,

Wow, thats next weekend.:) Thanks for posting.

I am very familiar and comfortable shooting my M1 Garand, but I have never done a CMP match before, or shot on the 200 yard high power range...maybe I should attend Monumentals High Power Postions practice/clinic on the 15th first?

What do you think?

rdc

Ultimate Member
    Dec 3, 2010
    Middlefingurton
    Are you familiar with shooting prone? Do you know how to use a sling? If so I would just give it a try. Just listen to the briefing and the range commands. It's a good time. It would help to have at least a rough idea of your elevation setting for 200yards.

Jack Ryan

Ultimate Member
    Jul 29, 2011
    People’s Republic of Maryland
    RDC,

Its been 30 years since I was coached in how to shoot prone and how to use a sling...those lessons are pretty foggy now.:) However you can learn alot of things today with instructional Youtube videos.

As far as elevation and windage, my M1 was already dialed in at 100 yards when I bought it ...but it was shooting a tad high. I am thinking maybe the precious owner had it dialed it in for 200 yards.:)

rdc

Ultimate Member
    Dec 3, 2010
    Middlefingurton
    Its been 30 years since I was coached in how to shoot prone and how to use a sling...those lessons are pretty foggy now.:) However you can learn alot of things today with instructional Youtube videos.

As far as elevation and windage, my M1 was already dialed in at 100 yards when I bought it ...but it was shooting a tad high. I am thinking maybe the precious owner had it dialed it in for 200 yards.:)[/QUOTE]

Sounds to me like you need to spend a little time on YouTube and come out and shoot. :D

Drmsparks

Old School Rifleman
    Jun 26, 2007
    PG county
    CMP matches are fun. They start off with sighters then roll into slow fire prone (pull and mark each shot) so you have time to tighten your zero. These are great matches for those who have never shot a match before. The atmosphere is relaxed. If needed we can run through position practice as part of the safety brief.

If you show up without a zero that's fine too. We can extend the initial sighter period for the first relay to get anyone where they need to be for the match.

Last edited:

Threeband

The M1 Does My Talking
    Dec 30, 2006
    Carroll County
    RDC,

As far as elevation and windage, my M1 was already dialed in at 100 yards when I bought it ...but it was shooting a tad high. I am thinking maybe the precious owner had it dialed it in for 200 yards.:)

I posted several good videos on position shooting and use of slings on previous pages of this thread. Don't let any of that stuff hold you back or intimidate you though. These matches are very casual.

As for zeros, the regular match always has five sighter shots anyway, and Dave mentioned he might allow some extra sighting in. That might be a good idea for giving the other relay some practice on marking targets in the pits, too.

Everybody, come on out and shoot! No excuses! I know I am so glad I took a chance and actually tried a match several years ago. It was an enormously positive experience, and gave focus and purpose to my interest in guns and shooting.

If i can find anytime to shoot my M1 before next weekend i just may have to give this a shot.

Come on out in any case. You can shoot it at the shoot.

Bolts Rock

Living in Free America!
    Apr 8, 2012
    Northern Alabama
    Come on out, there's enough of us that know how it works to help newbies. That's part of the point of these matches. Don't worry if you don't have a mat or scope, most of us will let you use ours. I bring my light shooting coat and will lend it for the match.

I'm bringing my 03A3 and cast boolit loads again, hopefully this time I filed enough off the front sight blade to get a hold better than middle of blade center of mass.....:innocent0

Drmsparks

Old School Rifleman
    Jun 26, 2007
    PG county
    Will you be running the long or short course?

Short course.

Nobody's really fond of sitting anyway....

Mike, Thanks for the offer of the Notary. We would need it only for registration (830 - 915 probably). It's only need for non members (it's for the hold harmless form). club members are covered through their membership/range badge (if I understand things correctly). If we have a need I'll let you know.

If any non members are looking to come out who do not have a notary on file please let me know through PM.

Drmsparks

Old School Rifleman
    Jun 26, 2007
    PG county
    LOL, I was just reading Lecke's description of his time at the range at Paris Island in "Helmet For My Pillow". He describes his first encounter with sitting as a torture session that ended with a permanently extended shoulder joint...

See you all in the AM! looks like a decent day to shoot (58-60 degrees, only 10% chance of rain)

rdc

Ultimate Member
    Dec 3, 2010
    Middlefingurton
    But but but... I actually like sitting. Actually I find it easier with smaller rifles. I have some problems shooting from sitting with a garand.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Mikeymike88

Latest threads

Top Bottom