Montgomery County data shows ongoing major challenges with police staffing, recruitment

The #1 community for Gun Owners of the Northeast

Member Benefits:

• No ad networks!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • traveller

The one with two L
    Nov 26, 2010
    variable
    Yes, but it's not a 100% correlation.

College used to teach analytical skills, reading comprehension and professional writing skills. (not now)

Interesting. Does MoCo require you to have specific courses ? I don't care whether a cop has writing skills, I do care whether he knows the law and it's history. If they made me king, I would require every cop have lots of credits on the Constitution, the history of totalitarian regimes and criminal procedure. Not speaking about MoCo, but in general we appear to have an abundance of cops who are lacking knowledge in those areas.

BurkeM

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 8, 2014
    Baltimore
    Interesting. Does MoCo require you to have specific courses ?
    Once upon a time, they required a BA or BS, as I recall. One could have a degree in basket weaving or astronomy.

Law was and is taught to the statewide standards, Maryland Police Training Commission.

The Police Training and Standards Commission is the body established by the Maryland Legislature to govern police certification and training in the State. The original Police Training Commission was established in April 1966. The Commission was abolished September 30, 2016 by the State legislature and the newly created Police Training and Standards Commission was established October 1, 2016. The Correctional Training Commission was established in 1971 by the Maryland Legislature. It is the membership of these Commissions that establishes the training objectives for entrance-level correctional and police officers, annual in-service, First Line Supervisors, and First Line Administrators.

Each Commission is comprised of representatives from Maryland. The agency that supports the Commissions is the Maryland Police and Correctional Training Commissions (PCTC) located in Sykesville (Carroll County), Maryland. The staff that support the Commissions are located at the Public Safety Education and Training Center (PSETC). Information about the PSETC may be found at https://mdle.net/

Professional training and support services are offered at the PSETC for state, county, and municipal agencies. In addition to the staff that support the Commissions, the PSETC also provides training and administrative space for resident partners including the Maryland State Police, the Department of Natural Resources, and the Department of Juvenile Services. Information about each of the training and support units may be found at https://mdle.net/

BurkeM

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 8, 2014
    Baltimore
    True . To a point .

MPTC sets the minimum statewide standards
    Training standards, not hiring standards. MPTC doesn't care if a new hire has a PhD and a Juris Doctor degree- you still have to take the same classwork as a 5th grade dropout educated in Honduras.

MoCo and other jurisdictions are now racing to the bottom for hiring standards.

PapiBarcelona

Ultimate Member
    Jan 1, 2011
    The bribing aka “10K sign on bonus” these employers do is pathetic too

Looks to me if you have to bribe people to start an application it really sucks to work there.

if that’s one shtick employers are still trying to get over on people hired it seems like a really dumb technique that anyone with half a brain can figure out you’re not going receive huge check on your first day of employment

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Mikeymike88

Latest threads

Top Bottom