• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • ken792

Ultimate Member
    Sep 2, 2011
    Fairfax, VA
    Mini 14s can survive on a steady diet of cheap lacquer/ polymer coated steel cased ammunition.

It’s the only advantage I see over an AR.

I'd imagine a chromed or nitrided AR barrel would last longer on it.

AR uppers like the PSA are also cheap enough that you can absolutely trash them on steel case ammo and replace them cheaply.

spr75wshs

Native born Shaysite
    MDS Supporter
    Apr 28, 2012
    Saint Marys County, MD
    Have 2 Mini-14's in the house, both are my wife's.

She had originally bought an M-1A NM for shooting DCM matches back in 84, but it proved too heavy for her, so I inherited it. I'd been using a borrowed 03-A3.

We did research on what rifles were allowable, plus something to fit her sense of aesthetics, wood stock necessary. We saw that Ruger sold it under the AC-556 sobriquet for military use. One of the other members of the Eglin AFB Rod and Gun Club had one, let her fire a match with it. It suited her. About 10 years later, she wanted another, for scope work, so I bought her the Ranch Rifle version (both in .223).

Did not own an AR until she bought me one for my 30th birthday in 1987. I like it from the familiarity of carrying the M-16 as my service rifle when I was in the USAF Reserve.

We have our "Bugout Battery" and our recreational firearms. Not too concerned about the logistics for the latter.

Winephile

Jun 16, 2017
    AA County, Maryland
    I am sure that there are those among the members here, who have varying opinions on this subject. Why would a person want a Mini-14 over an AR?
    I have a circa 1985 stainless folder with a 1 in 10 twist, Accu-strut, and Ultimak rail. The Sig Romeo 5 red dot gets my 55 grain ball ammo down range to a nice group at 100 yards. I'll still get the barrel crowned and a trigger job done, but it's light weight, quick, reliable, and not as dirty as an AR (by reputation).

ARs win on the standardization and mag cost.

sxs

MDS Supporter
    Nov 20, 2009
    Anne Arundel County, MD
    I will admit, it took me a while to warm up to the AR platform, and I owned my first Mini a lot longer than I owned my first AR. I like ARs now (for me it was an acquired taste)... but, this is just between you and me... I still find them ugly.

I used to think that....until I saw one that inspired this build:

Attachments

• Beau AR 1.JPG
      Beau AR 1.JPG
      52.1 KB · Views: 282
    • Beau AR 2 (1).JPG
      Beau AR 2 (1).JPG
      53.6 KB · Views: 285

Tracker

Aug 21, 2011
    Anne Arundel County
    I have a few ARs and like them but the mini with a wood stock and 20rd mag just looks cool to me. I almost bought one in stainless 15yrs ago at Walmart when they were selling for about $425 but passed for some reason. Now they sell in the $700 range. Hindsight truly is 20/20

sxs

MDS Supporter
    Nov 20, 2009
    Anne Arundel County, MD
    that is pretty sweet, where did you get the lower?

The lower is a 2013 purchase from Lou45. It is an ADCOR. I met a member there for a handgun transfer (kind'a right between where we lived). I just added that right to the 77R for the transfer. The Blue Titanium Cerakote was done later by the Scott's Gunsmithing 'Smith, Dalton Leinen. (Disclosure: I work there part time). Dalton had previously painted an AR handgun lower and it's rail in that color. When I made mention that I wished I had used a rail on the upper instead of the Magpul foreend because I liked the color, he just stated that Cerakote sticks really well to Magpul as well. So I got 'er done! Don't know if you can tell from the picture, but one nice touch is the Bolt carrier is also painted. Dalton asked permission to experiment to see how well Cerakote holds up on bolts. So far, a couple hundred rounds later. no sign of the Cerakote wearing on the BCG.

I have overall preference for old hunting guns in general which is why prior to my builds and a couple purchases in 2013 and since, I didn't have any ARs. I do also have a Mini-14 which I like pretty well. But I have to concur with others that it's not nearly as accurate or easily customizable as ARs. But I no longer think ARs have to be ugly! :)

knovotny

Feb 5, 2013
    Aberdeen, MD
    I own both because I use them for different things. Also, it's fun to own all the things. I own more than one pistol too. I love the look of the mini and it feels good in my hands. I like my AR too, but sometimes it's nice to do fun matches with something different than what everyone else has. I do want to upgrade my rear sight since I have the one that jiggles loose. And may put a scope on it. Haven't fully decided on that yet.

sxs

MDS Supporter
    Nov 20, 2009
    Anne Arundel County, MD
    The BCG is painted and still runs reliably?? :party29:

very sweet. I am feeling inspired.

Yeppers. Now, to be sure, I am not a high volume shooter. Most I have run through it at a time was around 80-100 rounds. The other shooting is letting a few people try to shoot a few different firearms to let them get a taste of various platforms. Never fired more than 30 or so rounds in any of those other sessions. But no sign of trouble so far. Using G96 as lube on the BCG (and elsewhere for that matter) despite Clandestine's suggestions for Mobil 1 synthetic. Chad's the man for all things AR, but I just stuck with what I was already using before I took Chad's SOTAR class. If I ever start shooting higher volume sessions, I may well switch as per his suggestions. Supposedly one reason (among others) for synthetic motor oil is it's not very affected by high temperatures. Dalton was pretty sure that Cerakoting the Bolt wouldn't cause any issues since the paint goes on pretty thin, it is pretty durable and since phosphate finishes on many bolts don't generally show much if any wear. To be clear, it is just the bolt itself that is painted and not all the internal components. (I inadvertently typed BCG from habit)

chino101

Jan 12, 2011
    Those living in States, or localities, that limit AR-15s with certain features, or outright ban them, like Washington DC, can chose a Mini-14 to have a rifle as an alternative.

I don't have a Mini 14 but would only want the wood stock version if I did.

Mini 14: good for police who don't want to carry scary black rifles for public relation reasons.

Is that the Paris France Police?

LibertyGun

May 19, 2014
    District 14, PRM
    I have both.

I would not say I prefer one over the other but there are a few reasons I like the mini enough to have one:

- it’s not a scary looking “black gun” yet has the same firepower. It may even be a workaround where ARs are banned.

- the mini has a slight edge in reliability. Not as much as many exaggerate it but it is a bit more reliable on average

- a little bit of nostalgia as the mini uses the garande action that is uncommon these days

- for certain uses, like as it is intended as a “ranch rifle” - occasional varmint use while bumping around behind the seat of your pickup - the mini is probably a better choice for that role

VFP

Nov 22, 2012
    Right there with you, brother,

I've usually used plain wheel bearing grease to lube my Garands. Also have some Lubriplate, which is a standard grease/lube for Garands and other pieces of manly machinery.

Google "Garand Grease Points" for information on ... Garand grease points.

Old saying, "If it slides, grease it. If it rotates, oil it."

As for the 80's calling, they can call me anytime. I'd go back like a shot.

But damn, that A Team was a stupid show!

I still prefer my M1. Since Nam, I've never cared for M16A1 the Real AR platform. Don't much care for 5.56mm or the civilian .223 mini 14 reminds me of the old Tanker version of the M1 tight space operations. If one takes a 30.06 hit, chances are pretty good ones day will have been ruined. Seen too many of my buds with 5.56 rounds lodged all throughout their body after coming back from Nam being hit by so-called friendly fire, being cared for at Martin army hospital, Ft. Benning.
    This is the same argument over 9mm, vs 45, vs 40cal, vs 357, vs 380. Heck, up close n personal, I just use my double barreled 12 GA coach gun.
    It's all about personal preferences anyway, right? But, if bullets, regardless of location, are tagging you, you'll be looking to adjust. There really are not that many Audie
    Murphy's out there good guy or bad guy. IMHO

dcody40

Retired US Navy VET.
    Oct 20, 2011
    Westminster Maryland
    being retired military I always liked the M14, so once I retired I got a good price on stock Mini14, shot that puppy for many years, also training my kids and many others on a simple to use rifle, My son would blast away all day if I had enough ammo. I also carried several models of the M16 for years on some tours. Didn't get the AR bug for years after I retired, then I found a lower for an unheard of low cost while traveling in a firearm friendly state. Just had to try the AR building craze. Still like the Mini14 but got the BRD real bad, only one store purchased lower, all others are either 80% or Zero's. It's a fun challenge to machine my own lowers and each rifle so far has been superior in accuracy compared to the mini14. Including a DPMS platform in .308. sold the mini to a friend that really liked it. And I finally found a very nice M1A and H&R M1, next project rifle besides the dpms 308 in progress is a Springfield 03.

bjbard

Nov 8, 2009
    Mini 14s have a certain look and feel to them that appeals to some people. Part of it is nostalgia, but as an avid shooter and collector, it makes sense to have one to shoot from time to time. If I could only have one I'd choose the AR, but since no such limitation exists...

DarrellA

Jacksonian Independent
    Aug 20, 2013
    MD
    I'm wondering if the like or dislike of the Mini-14 is age related. Mini-14 - Older guys. AR's - Younger guys.

willtill

The Dude Abides
    MDS Supporter
    May 15, 2007
    I'm wondering if the like or dislike of the Mini-14 is age related. Mini-14 - Older guys. AR's - Younger guys.

I think that is an accurate theory. ;)

Both platforms are capable.

Someone enjoying theirs....

owgriffin

May 15, 2012
    I have one Mini and 4 AR's. Honestly if I had to stake my life on its reliability, I would choose the Mini 14. I have never had a misfeed in all the mini 14s I have ever owned. There is no way to make them as accurate as most AR's without replacing the barrel, but for 100 yards or less they are fine. The downside is the magazines. Although the quality is high, the are expensive, and the high capacity metal ones get bent over time. Generally speaking, I like the ghost ring sights on the Mini better than the AR regular open sights. Levering in the magazines also takes practice under stress to make sure you get them right, which could mean another second getting the AK like magazine in correctly. You also cannot take them apart as easily if you are using them under terrible conditions, but they stay cleaner inside than the AR. I am sure all this has been said before, but I also wanted to add the ability to put a good folding stock on the Mini, even if it is a wire type, or the police type folding stock. Also, with the open top receiver, if you had a misfire or jam it would be a lot easier to clear, plus the hole open on the bolt is easier for me, and honestly I like the reciprocating bolt handle rather than having to use the cocking handle on the AR.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Nelsonbencasey

Latest threads

Top Bottom