• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • TheOriginalMexicanBob

Ultimate Member
    Jul 2, 2017
    Sun City West, AZ
    Well in the interest of providing information, there is actually a video of 8 reasons why the Mini-14 is better than the AR-15.... I'm not sure I agree with any of it, but here you go.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GIZALtOcMf0

43% less chance of your neighbor being afraid enough to call the cops on you with a Mini rather than an AR? It brings to mind the statement that 85% of all statistics are made up.

There's room for Minis and ARs...we all have our favorites and we can rationalize our choices any way that suits us.

tkd4life

Ultimate Member
    Sep 10, 2010
    Southern Maryland
    Well in the interest of providing information, there is actually a video of 8 reasons why the Mini-14 is better than the AR-15.... I'm not sure I agree with any of it, but here you go.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GIZALtOcMf0

Ohh come on.

I will spare people from watching the video:

1. Low profile: Your neighbors wont call the cops on you with a mini-14 but will for an AR... REALLY!!!

2. Trigger: The factory trigger on the mini-14 is better than the factory trigger on the AR. In a way he is right if you buy a low end AR, not so much if you spend money on a high end AR. Either way you can't drop a Geisselle trigger into an Mini-14.

3. Maneuverability: The stock mini-14 is about the same length and weight as the AR. But if you want to buy aftermarket parts, it can be shorter. Ohhh wait so now it's ok to buy aftermarket parts... ok. In that case you can buy an aftermarket bolt and make your AR a side folder too.

4. Longer sight radius: The mini-14 has a longer sight radius than the AR. That is true but putting a longer sight radius on a less accurate gun is a wash.

5. Cleaner operating: The mini-14 is a cleaner operating gun than the AR. Piston VS. DI. But there are those that make piston AR's.

6. Accuracy: The mini-14 with the new improvements can get 2 MOA, therefore it's more accurate than the AR. Really, the mini-14 is not in the same game as the AR with regard to accuracy. Even with the improvements talked about, its not even close. I've got multiple SUB 1 MOA AR-15's something the mini-14 can't do.

7. Cold Hammer Forged Barrel: The mini-14 comes with a CHF barrel. But MANY AR's also come with CHF barrels. Not a win, even a little bit.

8. All stainless construction: Its funny they say that the stainless construction is better for salt and hazardous environments. But maybe they should fill this guy in on that the aluminum construction of the AR is also rust resistant.

This video is a joke. I mean really? I could make an internet video about how Rosie Odonel is hotter than Jennifer Aniston but that doesn't make it true.

Major03

Ultimate Member
    I’ve never seen the appeal of the Ruger mini-14 over an AR...but admittedly I’ve never fired one either.

If I had to pick one, there is no question in my mind the AR wins. That said, rifles don’t get jealous if another rifle is taking up some room in then safe ;)

willtill

The Dude Abides
    MDS Supporter
    May 15, 2007
    Agree. The AR does win in almost every aspect.

But variety is the spice of life. Including guns ;)

Pretty fun video below of a guy shooting one in Nevada... No problems hitting anything with it. This is the kind of shooting environment I miss when I was out in Arizona, during the first quarter of my life.

If you can spare 8 minutes, enjoy

willtill

The Dude Abides
    MDS Supporter
    May 15, 2007
    Here's a stalwart fan of the Mini 14 :D

He actually has some good info about them... along with his attitude.

The YouTube comments are just fun as hell to read through... there's a serious following out there for the Mini-14 :cool:

doggyjacket

Ultimate Member
    Aug 3, 2016
    MoCo
    I've always wanted a mini-14. When I was in the market for one, I did a lot of research and tried to convince myself to get one. Unfortunately, like a lot of people in the thread mentioned, the only reason I could really come across to get one over an AR-15 is just because I wanted something different.

Powerstroke

Oct 20, 2010
    Fallston
    I think both have their place, but I just love using mine for plinking. It is nice to know I can feed the cheaper stuff through it, like Brown Bear, and it will handle it perfectly fine all day.

danb

dont be a dumbass
    Feb 24, 2013
    google is your friend, I am not.
    I will admit, it took me a while to warm up to the AR platform, and I owned my first Mini a lot longer than I owned my first AR. I like ARs now (for me it was an acquired taste)... but, this is just between you and me... I still find them ugly.

ARs can now be found in wicked patterns. You get get them with wood furniture (Windham Weaponry), your choice of colors or even anodized with camo or the flag.

willtill

The Dude Abides
    MDS Supporter
    May 15, 2007
    ARs can now be found in wicked patterns. You get get them with wood furniture (Windham Weaponry), your choice of colors or even anodized with camo or the flag.

The AR-15 Rifle is no doubt; the grown man's Barbie Doll. You can dress her up any way you want. :thumbsup:

From one of the recent video's I posted; it was interesting that the A-Team chose the Mini 14 since it would not foul with blank ammunition.

When I was in the Army; I absolutely HATED to shoot blanks during training (with the blank adapters) on my M16. Serious fouling... took hours to remove it. :sad20:

danb

dont be a dumbass
    Feb 24, 2013
    google is your friend, I am not.
    The AR-15 Rifle is no doubt; the grown man's Barbie Doll. You can dress her up any way you want. :thumbsup:

From one of the recent video's I posted; it was interesting that the A-Team chose the Mini 14 since it would not foul with blank ammunition.

When I was in the Army; I absolutely HATED to shoot blanks during training (with the blank adapters) on my M16. Serious fouling... took hours to remove it. :sad20:

IDK, my mini gets pretty dirty. Its just in places one cannot see, hidden by the forend, and has less impact on function. Its also easier to clean- except for the bolt.

Pinecone

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 4, 2013
    I like my Minis.

But I also love the form factor of the M1 Carbine.

So the Mini is the carbine platform, but in a reasonable caliber.

Yes, in many ways, the AR is better. But I still really like the Mini 14.

I wish I had picked up one of the GBs from Lou.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Nelsonbencasey

Latest threads

Top Bottom