• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Copper

Shock Trooper In Stooper
    Jan 26, 2012
    I love my AR's but I also like the mini's, they are classic. Plus chicks dig em', you get more chicks sportin' a woody....

DaemonAssassin

Why should we Free BSD?
    Jun 14, 2012
    Political refugee in WV
    Do you have a Mini 30? A lot of folks complained that they are finicky when it comes to ammo, much more so than the Mini 14. I need to find the thread that talks about this.

I know somebody that owns one and he said it will fire brass cased and steel cased 762x39. I had a chance to shoot it a few times and I really do love the Mini-30.

dreadpirate

Ultimate Member
    Mar 7, 2010
    Cuba on the Chesapeake
    I know somebody that owns one and he said it will fire brass cased and steel cased 762x39. I had a chance to shoot it a few times and I really do love the Mini-30.

That's good to know. I think a 7.62X39 Mini-30 would be more of interest to me than a 223 Mini 14. I have a few pre-ban AR's that already fit that bill. But the AR platform does not seem to do well with 7.62X39.

300 Black would be ok - but I could get a 300 black upper for less money for one of my AR's.

Good stuff!

DaemonAssassin

Why should we Free BSD?
    Jun 14, 2012
    Political refugee in WV
    That's good to know. I think a 7.62X39 Mini-30 would be more of interest to me than a 223 Mini 14. I have a few pre-ban AR's that already fit that bill. But the AR platform does not seem to do well with 7.62X39.

300 Black would be ok - but I could get a 300 black upper for less money for one of my AR's.

Good stuff!
    I can give you a decent parts list for a good upper in 300BLK.

alucard0822

For great Justice
    Oct 29, 2007
    PA
    I've owned both, the mini is definitely a more "intuitive" rifle to handle than an AR. Have brought both out for new shooters, and the mini definitely takes less instruction. Compared to a box stock AR in the same street price range, it's more forgiving of crappy ammo and poor maintenence IMO. Accuracy was mediocre, but useable in the older models, new ones shoot well. They just fell out of favor as tactics and tastes change, AR's design around boreline reciprocating parts, and parts interchangeability will always give them the edge. Ended up selling off my Minis, but not because they were bad, just wanted other stuff, and ended up making a solid profit on them, kinda miss my stainless folder though.

Gcs7th

Ultimate Member
    Jan 26, 2012
    AGC
    I'm surprised Clandestine hasn't chimed in, I'm curious what our resident AR mechanic has to say. There is something iconic about the mini maybe because it reminds me of a M1 Garand, or the M-14 I can't purchase in MD :mad54:. They are joy to shoot but more tactical purposes an AR beats them hands down. If Ruger made Mini14's take STANG mags that would solve my biggest problem with the rifle and that is its priority magazine. The system isn't as robust or forgiving as an AK and I always seem to get the magazine stuck in the well when loading/ unloading.

willtill

The Dude Abides
    MDS Supporter
    May 15, 2007
    I'm surprised Clandestine hasn't chimed in, I'm curious what our resident AR mechanic has to say. There is something iconic about the mini maybe because it reminds me of a M1 Garand, or the M-14 I can't purchase in MD :mad54:. They are joy to shoot but more tactical purposes an AR beats them hands down. If Ruger made Mini14's take STANG mags that would solve my biggest problem with the rifle and that is its priority magazine. The system isn't as robust or forgiving as an AK and I always seem to get the magazine stuck in the well when loading/ unloading.

Does take practice to get it right. Using the right angle to engage that front magazine leading edge against the dimple in the magazine well.

Removing it.. just use the magazine latch and don't touch the maga at all. Falls right out.

Easier if the bolt is locked to the rear when loading. That's what the manual that came with my gun recommends anyway.

https://ruger.com/pdf/Mini-Mag_Instructions.pdf

Melnic

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 27, 2012
    HoCo
    I don't have a Mini 14 but would only want the wood stock version if I did.

Mini 14: good for police who don't want to carry scary black rifles for public relation reasons.

Attachments

• french police.jpg
      french police.jpg
      70.5 KB · Views: 235

ken792

Ultimate Member
    Sep 2, 2011
    Fairfax, VA
    I don't have a Mini 14 but would only want the wood stock version if I did.

Mini 14: good for police who don't want to carry scary black rifles for public relation reasons.

The Mousqueton AMD I believe is only in service with their National Police. The National Gendarmerie and military carry more evil looking long guns. With Operation Sentinelle, the French have the actual military patrolling the streets now.

Ironically, the Europeans don't have the same aversion to police patroling with rifles that we in the US do. It's not uncommon to see police with long guns in the Europe. One of my friends told me he was at lunch when he saw a police officer also sitting down for lunch, but with an MP5 across his chest.

https://news.sky.com/story/is-frances-operation-sentinelle-working-10806366

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2...elle-soldiers-patrolling-streets-france-safer

Mini14tac

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    May 14, 2013
    North County
    I love my Mini-14. It's just different. Like the way it shoulders and it eats everything I feed it, but then again so do my AR's. I have the new version with open tech-sights and with my old eyes it does ok. It's not quite as accurate as my AR's but it shoots minute of dead. I'm glad I own both.

erwos

The Hebrew Hammer
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 25, 2009
    Rockville, MD
    All I can say is that the recent Ruger releases are giving me hope that we'll eventually see Mini-15 and Mini-47 rifles that take AR and AK mags, because, right now, the value proposition on the existing Mini-line rifles is not compelling. "Hey, why don't you pay more for proprietary mags, worse accuracy, and inflexible optics mounting?" Something's gotta give.

willtill

The Dude Abides
    MDS Supporter
    May 15, 2007
    All I can say is that the recent Ruger releases are giving me hope that we'll eventually see Mini-15 and Mini-47 rifles that take AR and AK mags, because, right now, the value proposition on the existing Mini-line rifles is not compelling. "Hey, why don't you pay more for proprietary mags, worse accuracy, and inflexible optics mounting?" Something's gotta give.

I'm not understand as why it's thought that the Mini 14 is difficult to fit optics onto.

The one I have came with their proprietary rings and also a Picatinny rail, which has a small cutout allowing for removal of the bolt without removing the rail itself.

No issues mounting my Weaver scope.

30sj3ip.jpg

erwos

The Hebrew Hammer
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 25, 2009
    Rockville, MD
    I'm not understand as why it's thought that the Mini 14 is difficult to fit optics onto.

The one I have came with their proprietary rings and also a Picatinny rail, which has a small cutout allowing for removal of the bolt without removing the rail itself.
    The scope sits pretty high relative to your cheek weld, and you don't have a lot of room to move it around for optimal eye relief. Your ability to use irons without removing the base scope mount also seems questionable, but not 100% sure about the options on a Mini-14 for that. It's not unusable, but let's not kid ourselves, the AR-15 way outclasses the Mini-14 on the optics front.

There's nothing wrong with admitting you love an imperfect rifle - my Galil SAR is one of my favorite guns, despite being outclassed by newer ones.

tkd4life

Ultimate Member
    Sep 10, 2010
    Southern Maryland
    To me, the M-14 is like a fat chick who is pretty mediocre in bed and the AR is a hottie that does it all and isn't a psycho. Sure some guys just like the thicker ladies and there is nothing wrong with that. They are just like mopeds. They are fun to ride until your friends catch you on them. Fat chicks will eat anything you put in front of them, but should they? Maybe people should be more selective on what they feed their rifles... I mean ladies. Sure I could eat 6,000 calories a day, but is it a good idea?

The AR can be WAY more accurate, just as reliable, WAY more versatile, easier to customize, easier to work on, more after market support, and easier to mount optics on. The M-14 will never be what the AR is.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Nelsonbencasey

Latest threads

Top Bottom