• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • lazarus

Ultimate Member
    Jun 23, 2015
    My wife is the same!
    I picked up a few b27 targets the other day for her to practice. Let me say that target is HUGE!
    Anyways, I ran her through the course, my son ran the stop watch and gave the commands. She had no issues what so ever. She pretty much blew out the center of the target with her 1911.
    I ran the course also, my son ran the watch, and gave the commands. No issues, just for giggles, at15 yards I put all 5 shots in the groin area. My wife and son, got a good laugh out of that.
    Until my qual, I've never used a B27. I've used half sized targets a few times. I usually just use a 16" square target with center square bullseye and the quarter bullseyes. With careful slow fire, I have no problems getting 95% of my shots on a 16" target at 50yds. At least with the right handgun (my M57 is lucky to get all my shots on a 16" target at 15yds because it shoots VERY low, like 6-7" low at 15yds, at 50yds it's like 20" low. Aim for the head and you might hit mid torso. My Glocks and several of my other handguns though are mechanically accurate enough and the POI is close enough I can do it at 50).

Biggfoot44

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2009
    its really easy. the 15 yard course of fire is the hardest but you get 10 seconds for 5 shots so need the rush the shots. even then it would be really hard to completely miss the paper.

Total Rounds: 50 Required equipment: Pistol / Revolver Scoring: B-27 target 50 rounds of ammunition, holster, X,10,9,8 Ring = 5 PTS 2 magazines if semi-automatic pistol. 7 Ring = 4 PTS Rest of silhouette = 3 PTS Total Possible Score: 250 Minimum Passing: 175= 70%, 200=80%
    This one is for Armed Security . Private Detectives , etc . The other one is for general public W&C

But hey , for practicing for your own benefit and edification , try the Armed Security COF , with your pocket pistols from your prefered carry mode , with goal of 100% by the T&Q scoring .

IronEye

MDS Supporter
    Feb 10, 2018
    Howard County
    Huh , that's very unusual . Most S&W .41 Magnums would be nearly a one hole group at that distance . :)

I believe he used a Yugo M57 Tokarev, not a Model 57 S&W in 41 Magnum.
    Question is: Did the fireball set the target on fire at 3 yards?
    You should get 5 extra style points for using that gun.

Mark75H

MD Wear&Carry Instructor
    Industry Partner
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 25, 2011
    Outside the Gates
    WOW - stunning amount of crap W&C instructors and classes. Reaffirms how good my class is presented and what is required of my students vs what is offered as extra.
    I should be charging twice what I do.

kenpo333

Ultimate Member
    Industry Partner
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 18, 2012
    Salisbury Maryland
    The idea of a qualification is to have everyone on even ground. As an instructor you are given a qualifcation by the state and you should go by that. I think that it might in some areas might considered as an easy qualification but it is the qualifcation. If you want to challenge some of your students then do it after they do the standard qualifcation.

PEEJAY

Dec 2, 2020
    Taking it to the “next level”. :sad20:

While I see value in training weak side shooting, I personally get annoyed when instructors go outside of what is needed. I wonder if he’d fail someone if they didn’t score appropriately shooting weak handed.
    *SHE'd fail
    My class was taught by an ALL female group. I was impressed at first until the class started. So many things wrong. now including the security requirements for the live fire portion.
    I was more than a little concerned for a sizeable portion of classmates who were attending with no prior firearms experience at all. several had never held a firearm. Everything they taught about grip and stance was fine but everything else was vague, unclear, or completely wrong. Hopefully those applicants will continue to learn and practice both MD law as well as shooting. I fully support everyone having access to their 2A rights but I worry some of the more "gangsta" classmates are going to ruin this for the rest of us. im sure they enjoyed the one handed shooting haha. They hopefully had some felonies and wont be approved. And im not judging the book by its cover (although its going to be tough to conceal with your pants below your ass), they were saying some pretty scary stuff both to the instructors and side banter. My old man eventually spoke up and put a couple of them in their place.

cyberalex

MDS Supporter
    Jul 29, 2022
    Federalsburg, Maryland
    I had to do the 3, 5, 7, and 15 yard test. After not shooting a handgun for years, I went to the Delmarva Sporting Clay shooting range in Mardela Springs to practice. I shot at a metal target from 25 yards, which I thought was the testing distance, but even then, I still did good. On my test, I only missed 2 out of 25 shots, which came out to 92% accuracy.

Attachments

• IMG_20220824_174245.jpg
      IMG_20220824_174245.jpg
      213.1 KB · Views: 98

redsandman6

Dec 22, 2011
    Dundalk
    This one is for Armed Security . Private Detectives , etc . The other one is for general public W&C

But hey , for practicing for your own benefit and edification , try the Armed Security COF , with your pocket pistols from your prefered carry mode , with goal of 100% by the T&Q scoring .

Yes your right. The only thing I would add is when I took the class at freestate they scored the target for the security guard standard but we shot the basic course of fire. My score was 123 out of 125. I had 2 rounds in the 7 ring. I rushed the 15yrd shots

Attachments

• 16613797893073972472000138113692.jpg
      16613797893073972472000138113692.jpg
      174.8 KB · Views: 83
    Last edited:

Biggfoot44

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2009
    New MDS Challenge ! Actually Two

1. Shoot 100% on actual W&C qual, scored by T&Q scoring , aka 125/125

2. Shoot 100% on actual W&C qual , scored by Competition Scoring , aka 250/ 250 , with X count for tie breaker .

miles71

Ultimate Member
    Industry Partner
    Jul 19, 2009
    Belcamp, Md.
    I rushed mine and my instructor did everything at 15. He threw me off because I volunteered to go first, and then what he stated he was going to do was different/harder than what the state says the qualification is. So I was nervous as hell. I rushed my shots, but I still went 25/25 at 15yds. Though my accuracy was crap. Normally I can put 15 rounds in 15 seconds in to about the center 8 inches at 15 yds, swap mags in a couple of seconds and then another 10 in 10 seconds (if we are talking a 25 shot qualification) all in that same 8 inches.

I got them all in the silhouette, but I had a few that were in the 7 and 8 ring...it was still about 80% in the center 8 inches (9 ring and in).

Slight fairness, public range, they didn't want to call the range cold to keep moving the target for everyone student and taking all that extra time. The instructor also stated that if anyone failed with the harder test, they would allow the student to do the regular MSP test of 3, 5, 7, 15.

Otherwise followed it. I wasn't going to call serious foul to move things faster, rather than take 10x longer.
    Sorry but your instructor didn't qualify you correctly. It is clearly spelled out what is to be done to qualify and your instructors version is not appropriate and invalid.

TD

miles71

Ultimate Member
    Industry Partner
    Jul 19, 2009
    Belcamp, Md.
    All this crappola is getting me worked up. It is so clear what should be done, especially for the qualification part. Anyone who isn't not following the guidelines and requirements need to have their instructor certificate revoked. Do I do more than the minimum, yes. But I do not make up my own version of the required qualification.

The good thing is I feel even better and more confident about my course when I hear about this crap. TD

Mark75H

MD Wear&Carry Instructor
    Industry Partner
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 25, 2011
    Outside the Gates
    Sorry but your instructor didn't qualify you correctly. It is clearly spelled out what is to be done to qualify and your instructors version is not appropriate and invalid.

TD
    I agree. The above mentioned 123/125 is also an invalid score. Curious to see if MSPLD chatches this; also if the scoring sheet shows the correct course indicated. There aren't that many boxes to check, but there are instructions to be followed and boxes (lines) to be checked.

lazarus

Ultimate Member
    Jun 23, 2015
    I believe he used a Yugo M57 Tokarev, not a Model 57 S&W in 41 Magnum.
    Question is: Did the fireball set the target on fire at 3 yards?
    You should get 5 extra style points for using that gun.
    Yes, Yugo M57 Tokarev.

Actually, that was part of chrono issues I've been having with it. On dimmer overcast days trying to run it over the chrono, it shoots low, so it's hard to aim it over the chrono AND if the chrono is reasonably close to me (say, 10-15ft), the muzzle flash is enough to ALSO throw the chrono off. I get a fair number of errors as well as some "7654fps" readings mixed in with obviously real readings. For example, I just ran 29 rounds of 100gr handloads over my chrono. two 10 round strings and a 9 round. I got 2 legit readings on the 9 round string and 3 each on the 10 round strings.

Less of a problem on bright days. I don't have that issue with other handguns.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Mikeymike88

Latest threads

Top Bottom