• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • RFBfromDE

W&C MD, UT, PA
    MDS Supporter
    Aug 21, 2022
    The Land of Pleasant Living
    Beyond the passing score at ranges out to 15 yards, how can one replicate the test at the range to assure they pass before investing in the CCW class?

For instance, what kind of target (B-3, B-27?) how many shots at what range in how much time and how is it tabulated?

I swear I searched and Googled!

davsco

Ultimate Member
    Oct 21, 2010
    Loudoun, VA
    seriously it is so f'n easy. we drew from holsters while you only have to start at low ready which is easier.

i think it's 3 then 5 then 7 then 15yds. and i think you can miss all at 15 and still pass.

redsandman6

Dec 22, 2011
    Dundalk
    its really easy. the 15 yard course of fire is the hardest but you get 10 seconds for 5 shots so need the rush the shots. even then it would be really hard to completely miss the paper.

Total Rounds: 50 Required equipment: Pistol / Revolver Scoring: B-27 target 50 rounds of ammunition, holster, X,10,9,8 Ring = 5 PTS 2 magazines if semi-automatic pistol. 7 Ring = 4 PTS Rest of silhouette = 3 PTS Total Possible Score: 250 Minimum Passing: 175= 70%, 200=80%

PEEJAY

Dec 2, 2020
    Interesting...

My wear and carry class instructors made us qualify using the "security" carry guidlines. one handed weakside, one handed strongside, etc. They never told us the requirements until we got in the booth. Ive never shot my carry gun one handed weakside. that was a little nerve-racking.

Did anyone else have to do that? we also weren't scored at all on hits to my knowledge. my instructors could have arrived in clown costumes and i wouldnt have been surprised though so...theres that.

jrumann59

DILLIGAF
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 17, 2011
    I prepared by practicing at 15 yards, if you can put all the shots in the black at 15 yards you should be able to handle all the closer distances.

teratos

My hair is amazing
    MDS Supporter
    Patriot Picket
    Jan 22, 2009
    Bel Air
    Interesting...

My wear and carry class instructors made us qualify using the "security" carry guidlines. one handed weakside, one handed strongside, etc. They never told us the requirements until we got in the booth. Ive never shot my carry gun one handed weakside. that was a little nerve-racking.

Did anyone else have to do that?
    Taking it to the “next level”. :sad20:

While I see value in training weak side shooting, I personally get annoyed when instructors go outside of what is needed. I wonder if he’d fail someone if they didn’t score appropriately shooting weak handed.

Brickman301

Ultimate Member
    Mar 23, 2015
    FREDERICK, MD
    Copied from the MSP website

3 YARD LINE – 5 ROUNDS – TWO HANDED – POINT SHOULDER ROUTINE LOAD 5 rounds and assume the LOW READY POSITION.
    On Command – raise your weapon, fire 1 round in 3 seconds, cover, SCAN, finger off the trigger and back to low ready.
    On Command – raise your weapon, fire 1 round in 3 seconds, cover, SCAN, finger off the trigger and back to low ready.
    On Command – raise your weapon, fire 1 round in 3 seconds, cover, SCAN,

finger off the trigger and back to low ready.
    On Command – raise your weapon, fire 1 round in 3 seconds, cover, SCAN,
    finger off the trigger and go to a DEPRESSED PISTOL position.
    Your weapon should be empty with the slides locked to the rear and or cylinders open. Have an instructor check your weapon. If you need to move to the next shooting position, you may do so after you have been checked by an instructor. If you are just moving the target, you may do so at this time. You may fill any magazines with 5 rounds as needed from the next shooting position.
    5 YARD LINE – 10 ROUNDS – TWO HANDED – POINT SHOULDER ROUTINE LOAD 5 rounds and assume the LOW READY POSITION.
    On Command – raise your weapon, fire 2 rounds in 5 seconds, cover, SCAN, finger off the trigger and back to low ready.
    On Command – raise your weapon, fire 2 rounds in 5 seconds, cover, SCAN, finger off the trigger and back to low ready.
    On Command – raise your weapon, fire 1 round in 3 seconds, perform a DRY RELOAD, cover, SCAN, finger off the trigger and go back to low ready.
    On Command – raise your weapon, fire 1 round in 3 seconds, cover, SCAN, finger off the trigger and go to a DEPRESSED PISTOL position.
    Your weapon should be empty with the slides locked to the rear and or cylinders open. Have an instructor check your weapon. If you need to move to the next shooting position, you may do so after you have been checked by an instructor. If you are just moving the target, you may do so at this time. You may fill any magazines with 5 rounds as needed from the next shooting position.
    7 YARD LINE – 5 ROUNDS – TWO HANDED – POINT SHOULDER ROUTINE LOAD 5 rounds and assume the LOW READY POSITION.
    On Command – raise your weapon, fire 1 round in 3 seconds, cover, SCAN, finger off the trigger and go to a DEPRESSED PISTOL position.
    Your weapon should be empty with the slides locked to the rear and or cylinders open. Have an instructor check your weapon. If you need to move to the next

shooting position, you may do so after you have been checked by an instructor. If you are just moving the target, you may do so at this time. You may fill any magazines with 5 rounds as needed from the next shooting position.
    15 YARD LINE – 5 ROUNDS – TWO HANDED – POINT SHOULDER ROUTINE LOAD 5 rounds and assume the LOW READY POSITION.
    On Command – raise your weapon, fire 1 round in 6 seconds, cover, SCAN, finger off the trigger and back to low ready.
    On Command – raise your weapon, fire 1 round in 6 seconds, cover, SCAN, finger off the trigger and back to low ready.
    On Command – raise your weapon, fire 1 round in 6 seconds.
    On Command – CLEAR, INSPECT, PRESENT WEAPON FOR INSPECTION OF ARMS and PROPERLY SECURE THE EMPTY WEAPON AS

mac1_131

MSI Executive Member
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 31, 2009
    If your instructor follows it, B-27 target, 18 of 25 must be in black, no time limit. Three yardages.

It's out there to Google:

"Maryland hgp course of fire"

Blaster229

God loves you, I don't.
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 14, 2010
    Glen Burnie
    What if a class had you shoot it backwards with a mirror like Annie Oakley, would you not question it?
    These people are amazing.

Brickman301

Ultimate Member
    Mar 23, 2015
    FREDERICK, MD
    That's exactly why I asked. Looks like I'm training exempt but my wife is a nervous nelly! (When it comes to knowing the rules)
    My wife is the same!
    I picked up a few b27 targets the other day for her to practice. Let me say that target is HUGE!
    Anyways, I ran her through the course, my son ran the stop watch and gave the commands. She had no issues what so ever. She pretty much blew out the center of the target with her 1911.
    I ran the course also, my son ran the watch, and gave the commands. No issues, just for giggles, at15 yards I put all 5 shots in the groin area. My wife and son, got a good laugh out of that.

Sharpster

Jul 22, 2010
    York, PA
    For those that don't know how comically big the B-27 targets are, here you go:
    1661363719420.png

lazarus

Ultimate Member
    Jun 23, 2015
    you do NOT need to rush your shots, take your time and get good hits.
    I rushed mine and my instructor did everything at 15. He threw me off because I volunteered to go first, and then what he stated he was going to do was different/harder than what the state says the qualification is. So I was nervous as hell. I rushed my shots, but I still went 25/25 at 15yds. Though my accuracy was crap. Normally I can put 15 rounds in 15 seconds in to about the center 8 inches at 15 yds, swap mags in a couple of seconds and then another 10 in 10 seconds (if we are talking a 25 shot qualification) all in that same 8 inches.

I got them all in the silhouette, but I had a few that were in the 7 and 8 ring...it was still about 80% in the center 8 inches (9 ring and in).

Slight fairness, public range, they didn't want to call the range cold to keep moving the target for everyone student and taking all that extra time. The instructor also stated that if anyone failed with the harder test, they would allow the student to do the regular MSP test of 3, 5, 7, 15.

Otherwise followed it. I wasn't going to call serious foul to move things faster, rather than take 10x longer.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Mikeymike88

Latest threads

Top Bottom