Maryland firearms instructors being screwed?

The #1 community for Gun Owners of the Northeast

Member Benefits:

• No ad networks!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • MJD438

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 28, 2012
    Somewhere in MD
    Yeah, it's the po section.... And they don't want to fix it. Or admit its wrong. So now theyre gonna make everyone who has a handgun get the HQL? Lol! They are gonna get that money one way or the other...!

Ok, so let's talk about the new magazine restrictions. Change that word to possess...

(b) A person may not manufacture, sell, offer for sale, purchase, receive (possess), or transfer a detachable magazine that has a capacity of more than [20] 10 rounds of ammunition for a firearm.

Still ranting here: they do not have the ability to change the black letters on the white paper. They do have the ability to interpret where things need further definition.

Still... I posted this on 6/13...

Great - another item to add to the list of inconsistencies/misrepresentations/"law creation out of whole cloth" email to the only Delegate to write me back.

Watkins87

Jun 4, 2012
    Fort Washington, MD.
    The HQL class is not an NRA sanctioned class.

You cannot use your NRA certification to advertise or to promote the class as it is a violation of your NRA certification (go back an revisit the BIT).

You can use your NRA certification to obtain the MSP Certified or Qualified Handgun Instructor credentials and then get on the MSP list of HQL instructors. Once you are on the MSP list, you can offer the HQL class as long as your class is a minimum of 4 hours, provides for a minimum of one round of live fire and addresses the topic outline in the MSP HQL advisory. THE MSP should have an on-line registration for eligible instructors about September 15, 2013 (according to Lt Cook). The system is currently being tested by MSP.

I know it is a lot to digest and there little guidance from MSP. The NRA has issued an advisory as well (you should have recieved it if you have registered on www.nrainstructors.org).

I have received everything and indeed it is alot to take in. With all the notifications, and "Letters" from the State of Maryland, MSI, NRA, NSSF..... eventually something doesnt add up with not enough questions answered. I just called MSP and was rushed off the phone and told "EVERYTHINGS ON THE WEBSITE, GLAD I CAN HELP, HAVE A GOOD DAY *hang up*"

Maryland really needs to stick together. Any other state I read about does. Geez.... Im really feeling ill about all this

MJD438

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 28, 2012
    Somewhere in MD
    Dammit, this is really starting to have an impact on my work output...I am spending more time writing emails to the only member of my local delegation to deign to respond to me in order to express additional concerns than I am on actually creating my documentation for work...

woodstock

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Jun 28, 2009
    Shut the whole damn thing down and wait. Make the state eat their law. I hate to sound like a prick but the blood at the liberty tree has a lot of patriot blood in it. What everyone is doing here is becoming an enabler for the state. Quite frankly we WANT the general public lining up screaming for their permits and looking for training classes. The gun run isn't going to end in MD just because October 1st rolls around, just in the past day the President put out news of more restrictions

http://www.foxnews.com/politics/201...ol-measures-targets-military-surplus-imports/

Last time I was at BP they were 4 deep buying handguns and these were not the smoke and fire MDshooter crowd. They were regular folk trying to get ahead of what the gov't was doing mostly on a Federal level. These are the people that WE need to get pissed and start making phone calls to their legislators and or be represented by the lawsuit.

Lets get some perspective here, currently in Maryland they do not have a constitutional right to firearm ownership. governor and legislature has seen to that. WE have to make sure our rush to "fix" something doesn't undermine long term goals.

Its funny how forums work, 1/2 the threads here are about the community helping everyone meet the new requirements and the other 1/2 is talking about how the lawsuit will be conducted and apparently no one is reading each others threads. Forums are echo chambers where all you hear is your own breathing. Helping Mrs Jones get her HGL will just prove FOR the state that these new laws are no big deal.

um, i disagree on several levels. please refer to the BOLD and altered type i have inserted. you've referred yourself as a "prick" in a few threads. sez enough.

Biggfoot44

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2009
    Ok , Trailman was hasty in using self-depricating vernacular. Translate into " at the risk of seeming insensitive in the imeadate short term , we should not be enablers in our own persecution. The more that the F'ed up process is hammering the general public, the larger , and more ceditable the outcry will become. No longer will the forces of evil be able to easily dismiss the 2A activists as a handfull of nutjobs to be ignored. "

This is a viewpoint to give serious consideration.

Inigoes

Head'n for the hills
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 21, 2008
    SoMD / West PA
    The MSP needs to provide a cirriculum, just like DNR does for hunter education!

The MSP needs to accept all liability if the instructors stays within the established guidelines, just like DNR.

woodstock

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Jun 28, 2009
    Ok , Trailman was hasty in using self-depricating vernacular. Translate into " at the risk of seeming insensitive in the imeadate short term , we should not be enablers in our own persecution. The more that the F'ed up process is hammering the general public, the larger , and more ceditable the outcry will become. No longer will the forces of evil be able to easily dismiss the 2A activists as a handfull of nutjobs to be ignored. "

in the view of my self and a few others, it's like cutting the nose off to spite the face. all viewpoints are worthy of consideration, but we need constructive viewpoints that have a means to the end.

CypherPunk

Opinions Are My Own
    Apr 6, 2012
    The MSP needs to provide a cirriculum, just like DNR does for hunter education!

The MSP needs to accept all liability if the instructors stays within the established guidelines, just like DNR.

I disagree - strongly.

This program will likely fail under its own weight.
    Let's not give the MSP, whom have proven themselves time and again incapable of doing anything efficiently or effectively, any more authority than they are entitled to or requesting.

You don't want the MSP having sole authority to not disapprove instructors that have the authority to grant persons the ability to exercise a inalienable right.

Inigoes

Head'n for the hills
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 21, 2008
    SoMD / West PA
    I disagree - strongly.

Let's not give the MSP, whom have proven themselves time and again incapable of doing anything efficiently or effectively, any more authority than they are entitled to or requesting.

You don't want the MSP having sole authority to not disapprove instructors that have the authority to grant persons the ability to exercise a inalienable right.

The issue is that te MSP will not publish standards to be met. DNR does, you meet'em - you pass.

CypherPunk

Opinions Are My Own
    Apr 6, 2012
    Yes, the MSP has published the course requirements as well as the minimum time requirements.

occbrian

Ultimate Member
    Jan 3, 2013
    in a cave

I agree. His comments deserve consideration. Grandma can still cash and carry a shotgun. I'm not saying he is right, but his comments shouldn't be dismissed so quickly IMO.

Last edited:

CypherPunk

Opinions Are My Own
    Apr 6, 2012
    But they are not accepting liability

Who accepts liability for anything?
    Not the NRA.
    Not the movie theater.
    Not my employer.
    Not the Utah CFP Instructor.
    Not this forum.

If you want to reduce the risk of liability, go buy insurance.

woodstock

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Jun 28, 2009
    After talking with Mark at the NRA instructor HQ, he suggested we do the FIRST Steps course (issue a certificate) and do an overview of MD law as it is written. Expressing that the information disseminated is NOT legal advice and to contact an attorney for more information. The problem there is the instructor to student ratio. NRA is 4 to one, with the state, there is no student to instructor ratio.

ELEMENT94

Wild eyed pistol waver.
    Sep 23, 2007
    I disagree - strongly.

Post of the day. In red.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Mikeymike88

Latest threads

Top Bottom