Maryland firearms instructors being screwed?

The #1 community for Gun Owners of the Northeast

Member Benefits:

• No ad networks!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • rseymorejr

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 28, 2011
    Harford County
    Another bolt in the quiver for the lawsuit.

However, IIRC, any instructor of a recognized course meets the training requirements. Which means that if you get your NRA Certified Instructor qualification, you are set.

Sounds like it may be easier for all of us to become certified instructors than it will be to get the HQL

mcbruzdzinski

NRA Training Counselor
    Industry Partner
    Aug 28, 2007
    Catonsville MD
    UPDATE:

I checked with Lockton (NRA Endorsed Insurance). According to "Becky", the NRA instructors insurance would provide liability coverage for a MD HQL class developed by an individual instructor.

lx1x

Peanut Gallery
    Apr 19, 2009
    Maryland
    UPDATE:

I checked with Lockton (NRA Endorsed Insurance). According to "Becky", the NRA instructors insurance would provide liability coverage for a MD HQL class developed by an individual instructor.

I'm taking a NRA instructor class next month.. how can you get that insurance? Is it covered in bit/core class?

mcbruzdzinski

NRA Training Counselor
    Industry Partner
    Aug 28, 2007
    Catonsville MD
    I'm taking a NRA instructor class next month.. how can you get that insurance? Is it covered in bit/core class?

IF your TC does not cover it in the BIT or as the last part of the instructor class, you can get it once you register as an instructor on www.nrainstructors.org.

You should be able to join www.nrainstructors.org as an instructor after passing the instructor class (assuming the TC sends the report to NRA electronically...he/she has up to 10 days to do so).

The cost is about $300 per million of coverage. Most ranges require you to have a minimum of $2 million in coverage. Check with your insurance company to see if they offer coverage (i.e. shop around).

lx1x

Peanut Gallery
    Apr 19, 2009
    Maryland
    IF your TC does not cover it in the BIT or as the last part of the instructor class, you can get it once you register as an instructor on www.nrainstructors.org.

You should be able to join www.nrainstructors.org as an instructor after passing the instructor class (assuming the TC sends the report to NRA electronically...he/she has up to 10 days to do so).

The cost is about $300 per million of coverage. Most ranges require you to have a minimum of $2 million in coverage. Check with your insurance company to see if they offer coverage (i.e. shop around).

Thanks! :)

Benanov

PM Bomber
    May 15, 2013
    Shrewsbury, PA
    I am starting to believe that the NRA has 'written-off' Maryland. I will see just how committed to the fight they are come October 1, 2013. I have heard the plan to file a suit on the constitutioanly and financial impact of SB281. In thirty-three days we will see just how much the NRA is willing to fight for its members in Maryland.

From what Lou45 said at the CC meetup a few days ago - it's clear that the NRA has all but written off MD.

We're on our own.

rseymorejr

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 28, 2011
    Harford County
    Then why bother supporting the NRA if they won't support us? Probably an unpopular opinion...

I'm a life member and membership is necessary to join the club I belong to. But I'm getting real tired of the one-way street. They seemed to have a strong presence in Annapolis this year so maybe they will come through for us.

Biggfoot44

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2009
    This is not new , and MSP isn't specifically picking on *Us* . They have always required Instructors to submit lesson plan and course of fire for aproval.

But all the outlines are nearly identical , and all the COF's are closly taken from a handfull of NRA , or FBI NA Cof's . Chat up an existing Instructor , rewrite his lesson plan that he's been teaching ever since he retired from LE , rewrite in your own words , and Vola ! You have a MSP Aproved lesson plan.

jkeys

Jan 30, 2013
    I have a great idea. NOBODY sign up to be an instructor. That would provide a defacto ban on firearms and render the this bill unconstitutional.

rwbow1969

Get Wiffit
    Dec 10, 2011
    Clearspring
    I don't think the NRA has turned their back on us. They're just saying their course will not satisfy the Maryland Law portion of the HQL training. Well no shit. I also don't think the NRA is going to custom design training courses for each of the 50 states either.

On another note the NRA does offer different insurance policies to their instructors. If you are going to be a instructor. Get insurance.

jpo183

Ultimate Member
    Mar 20, 2013
    in Maryland
    I beleive the NRA is capable of doing it (or at least assisisting in the development of a standard course). I am not sure why they appear to be ignoring this market, especially considering the historical reason for why the NRA was founded: education and training of shooters!

I am starting to believe that the NRA has 'written-off' Maryland. I will see just how committed to the fight they are come October 1, 2013. I have heard the plan to file a suit on the constitutioanly and financial impact of SB281. In thirty-three days we will see just how much the NRA is willing to fight for its members in Maryland.

This, I felt this way during this past session.

w2kbr

MSI EM, NRA LM, SAF, AAFG
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 13, 2009
    Severn 21144
    Don't know much about this instructor thing.....but since most ranges, at least the ones I know of, require shooters to sign a waiver, which basically holds the range innocent of any mishaps.......would such a waiver (properly worded for "teachers") work the same way?

Geez..what a mess....

R

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Jtlambo

Latest threads

Top Bottom