• Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Kagetsu

Feb 4, 2009
    Are all magazines created equal? AR followers seem to be improved constantly. I can see a difference in price and manufacturer. It's walnut and parkerized and I thinking pmags would look like spandex on Michelangelo's David.

Jim12

Let Freedom Ring
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 30, 2013
    M1A tip: Springfield Armory mags and USGI mags are made/produced by CheckMate Industries (aka/ CMI).

;)

Yeah, but they're not the same. Recent CMI branded mag purchase had a stuck follower and fit and finish issues. Total lack of QC.

TheDevilHimself

, Duffy's Gun Room
    Industry Partner
    Jul 15, 2011
    Sparks, MD
    M1A tip: Springfield Armory mags and USGI mags are made/produced by CheckMate Industries (aka/ CMI).

;)
    This is true, but there were quite a few other manufacturers of USGI mags prior to 1968- H&R, BRW, KMT, Olin-Matheson, Winchester, Union Hardware Co., & TRW, as well as the Springfield Armory gov't arsenal.

crolfe1984

Enthusiast
    Oct 21, 2007
    Baltimore City, MD
    I too just became an M1A owner! Part of my Pre-Octo1 list is now checked off: M1A SOCOM 16, four Springfield 10 rounders, four Springfield 20 rounders, a M1A combo tool, and 200 rounds of 7.62x51 (linked 4:1 tracer). Now I just gotta get out and shoot it!

byf43

SCSC Life/NRA Patron Life
    Yeah, but they're not the same. Recent CMI branded mag purchase had a stuck follower and fit and finish issues. Total lack of QC.

I bought some CMI magazines in February, and they have been 100%.
    In fact, all of my CMI magazines are flawless.
    When did they start having issues????

This is true, but there were quite a few other manufacturers of USGI mags prior to 1968- H&R, BRW, KMT, Olin-Matheson, Winchester, Union Hardware Co., & TRW, as well as the Springfield Armory gov't arsenal.

Agreed. I was only speaking on 'current' manufactured US magazines.

Hope I didn't confuse anyone.

Sundazes

Throbbing Member
    MDS Supporter
    Nov 13, 2006
    Arkham
    Does the tung oil make it darker/shiny or just protects the walnut. I dont want my stock shiny.

I was wondering the same thing. I have read of folks using either tung or BLO on new M1A stocks but no reason as to why it's done.

dontpanic

Ultimate Member
    Jul 7, 2013
    Timonium
    Does the tung oil make it darker/shiny or just protects the walnut. I dont want my stock shiny.

Use linseed oul, not rung oil. Rung oil forms a harder outer layer that tends to have a shine. Linseed soaks into the walnut, keeping it from being dry and brittle. Linseed oil is more preservative than finish, but also brings up the walnut's natural grain

Feb 28, 2013
    I'm by no means an authority, so this is just my .02.

According to what I've read, the M14, the military version of the M1A, was introduced to the Army in 1959. By then, things were getting busy in southeast Asia. Now what does southeast Asia have a lot of? Jungle. Which means moisture, which to me explains the recommendation of linseed oil.

Apparently Army field manuals of the time called for M14 stocks to be oiled every day for a week, once a week for a month, once a month for a year, and once a year thereafter.

So that's what I intend to do with mine.:)

BRONZ

Big Brother is Watching
    Jan 21, 2008
    Westminster, MD
    I'm by no means an authority, so this is just my .02.

According to what I've read, the M14, the military version of the M1A, was introduced to the Army in 1959. By then, things were getting busy in southeast Asia. Now what does southeast Asia have a lot of? Jungle. Which means moisture, which to me explains the recommendation of linseed oil.

Apparently Army field manuals of the time called for M14 stocks to be oiled every day for a week, once a week for a month, once a month for a year, and once a year thereafter.

So that's what I intend to do with mine.:)

Sounds good to me.

Would Lowes or HD have that.

Threeband

The M1 Does My Talking
    Dec 30, 2006
    Carroll County
    Linseed oil has been used on gun stocks since before the Brown Bess musket.

M1 Garands were dipped in vats of raw linseed oil. then set aside to dry. Soldiers were supposed to periodically rub more oil in, whenever they had nothing better to do, like polishing buttons or cleaning toilets or arranging white rocks in neat rows.

During World War II, the US switched to using tung oil for the initial dip, but linseed oil remained the authorized oil for maintenance.

I've used both, and don't really see much difference. I think linseed oil might run a little darker. You really can't tell the difference, though. It doesn't make the wood shiny or give it a hard shell. Real tung oil is not sold in most stores though. Most people order it from the Real Milk Paint Company. The stuff called "tung oil finish" is not tung oil: it's some sort of varnish.

You can get Boiled Linseed Oil in any paint store or Home Depot. It's fine to use. I just happen to have a lifetime supply of Tung Oil, so I use that.

Lucca1

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 9, 2013
    Behind Enemy Lines
    Who has M1As instock and what are they going for?

If you can't find one through a local IP, the only online dealer that I see with stock is Kentucky Gun Co. They have various models with the Standard starting at ~$1500.

http://www.kygunco.com/mobile/categ...ory-rifles/InStockOnly/Yes/order_by/min_price

The lowest that I have seen them going for is ~$1350 but they are currently out of stock .

http://www.sportsmansoutdoorsuperst.../brand/SPRINGFIELD/sportsman/semi-auto-rifles

TheDevilHimself

, Duffy's Gun Room
    Industry Partner
    Jul 15, 2011
    Sparks, MD
    I have several more M1As due in tomorrow-thursday. One is a standard walnut, $1500, one loaded synthetic @ $1699, and one more nat'l match walnut stock @ $2000.

Fulton Armory receivers shipped today.

Tons of 20rd mags arrived this afternoon, as well as some good Norma .308 match loaded with 168gr Sierra BTHP

SCARCQB

Get Opp my rawn, Plick!
    Jun 25, 2008
    Undisclosed location
    MDS Smiley face brought to you by the M1A
    (100 yard group, 1/2", 149 grain FMJ, 16x scope )

Congratulations for owning the best battle Rifle on the planet

Attachments

• smiley.jpg
      smiley.jpg
      64.4 KB · Views: 161

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Wolfloc22